Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

WARNING: Sears floor jacks blow

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 06:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one Craftsman 3ton for 6 years but it was used sporadically.
The ones that I had fail were used several times a week.

I never exceeded weight ratings and never supported a vehicle with them for extended periods.

Plain and simple failure to fulfill their duty.

I'll be buying a Lincoln or something similar and a Brunnhoelzl AL jack

Lincoln and Brunn jacks are sickeningly expensive but I know they'll work like they're supposed to.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:25 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had mine for 6 months...

I have doen a clutch swap and a tranny swap. 2 rear end swaps and several wheel swaps.

I have felt nothing but confidence from it but unfortuneately seen ALOT of bad threads aout it, really wish I researched it more before I pikced it up.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MustangEater82
I have had mine for 6 months...

I have doen a clutch swap and a tranny swap. 2 rear end swaps and several wheel swaps.

I have felt nothing but confidence from it but unfortuneately seen ALOT of bad threads aout it, really wish I researched it more before I pikced it up.
Problem with me was I was doing that amount of work in a few days. With occasional use they seem to last awhile. Start using them everyday and they go *POOP*
Old 04-18-2006, 10:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the aluminum Craftsman jack, and the steel one that looks similar to it. I've had the aluminum one for over 3 years now and haven't had any issues. The steel one is about 2 yrs old and no issues either.

No complaints so far

Tony
Old 04-19-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alum/steel for me, used it for about a year so far, no probs.

Shay
Old 04-20-2006, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Craftsman steel hand-jack. 9 years and counting... of course I only use it about 30 times a year... I doubt it'd hold up at a shop.

I too stripped out the thin cross-bar at the end of the handle, and a soft wood nail won't work as a replacement (it kept sheering off as well). I used a broken drill bit instead... they're heat treated, and a dremmel will be able to grind it down (or cut it off) after it's firmly hammered into place. Never had an issue since.

hockey pucks make good 1" spacers for the jack as well... if you need 3 or 4 inches just duct-tape a few stacked pucks together in a cylinder. (use at you're own discression... drill and bolt them together if you think it'll work better).

Always store a jack in the down position (to prevetn rust on any part of the smooth shafts.... this includes the jacking handle as well. Just a personal preference.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have had the Craftsman Alum. jack for about 8 months or so, and so far I havent had any trouble. Probably because I dont use it that heavily, but Ive used it a decent amount, and like I said so far, no problems...maybe I just got lucky. **knock on wood**
Old 04-21-2006, 02:19 AM
TECH Resident

i think we used one those bigger harbor freight ones last year, seemed to work great.

we have a roush racing jack we bought somewhere at the shop, it works freaking awesome, and it gets used a lot
Old 04-21-2006, 02:45 AM
TECH Resident

Dont buy ANYTHING with plastic wheels. Little plastic wheels lifting up 1 1/2-2+ tons LOL. Dont trust that ****, its your life, spend the extra 100 or 2 to get a nice all steel/metal/alumn jack.

And I dont care what they say about those air bag jacks. It just does not look safe at all. One air hole, too much PSI and BOOM. Your dead.
http://www.allproducts.com/traffic/p...0024319611.jpg

Steel/Metal/Alum jacks got us this from far, dont use anything different.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the Craftsman Aluminum jack. Works great so far!!! knock on wood!!
Old 04-21-2006, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bowtie Boy
Dont buy ANYTHING with plastic wheels. Little plastic wheels lifting up 1 1/2-2+ tons LOL. Dont trust that ****, its your life, spend the extra 100 or 2 to get a nice all steel/metal/alumn jack.
Your life? what the hell are you talking about? A jack is NOT a jack stand. Never get under a car hoping a jack will stay up...

And I dont care what they say about those air bag jacks. It just does not look safe at all. One air hole, too much PSI and BOOM. Your dead.
http://www.allproducts.com/traffic/p...0024319611.jpg

Steel/Metal/Alum jacks got us this from far, dont use anything different.
again... a JACK is NOT a jack STAND.... unless you're implying the blow-out from an air bag of 30psi would kill someone :p
Old 03-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Launching!

alright going on almost a year, and its puking fluid... Last time I went to use it I moved it and there was fluid on the ground. As I jacked it up seemed like it only worked at the very bottom of the pumping.

the pumps are kind of wierd now, doesn't pump right(do to fluid I bet)

what bothers me, is how people say the steel ones are better?

but how... its just the actual pumping mechanism, not the frame of the jack. I woudln't be surprised that they are the same actual pumping mechanism. I know it looks doubtful but I am going to look for a rebuild kit, this thing is awesome, I wish I could just get another hydraulic pump for it and be good. But I am pricing out some harbour freight and costco ones...
Old 03-04-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have had my craftsman steel jack since about 1999 use it weekely for the last 8 years no problems at all cept it will let down slowly if its used for like a hour
Old 03-04-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
ive been rocking this for about a year

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4172

been rocking that **** to, so does my mechanic along with some other off brands that work.... wont need them soon getting a real lift
Old 03-06-2007, 07:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two of the cheapo Autozone 2 1/2 ton red jacks, one has lasted about 2 years and one I have had for about 12 years neither have failed me. I also got a high lift 21" jack from Wal-Mart for ~$60 and its lasted over a year now.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

You can also give Costco or Sams Club as shot. I bought mine from Sams Club 14 years ago and it works like a champ. 3 ton.

R/

Frat
Old 03-06-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

costco is the way to go for tools...everything is warrantied for life. no questions asked.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Teching In

I had the same issue with my Crap-man jack too. It did not lift all the way and it broke. I ran out of warranty too! I bought the same jack again from Sears and returned my broken one to sears 3 months later. Hahahaha. I sold my new one on Craigs List for $95 dollars. I think I made out and more.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

werd to your mother on the sams club jack,. I think the one i bought my dad and friend for gifts have been going for about 7 years no problems. cant think of the brand name though.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a 3 1/2 ton sears jack that is dying.. it won't lift up all the way anymore, I thoguth maybe it needed fluid, but there's nowhere to even add any to it.

I'm kinda pissed about it, I bought it because my dad's old kmart one finally dies after 20 years, and this onedidn't last more then a few years.. and had almost twice the lifting capacity.

Good to know that they won't service the thing too, that's really nice. I was tempted to buy one just like it and stick this one back in the box aith a little cleanup done to it and just return it... but my luck it's gonn have a serial # or somethign so they would know.

guess I'll be going to the local autoparts store and buying another jack. Great.

Quick Reply: WARNING: Sears floor jacks blow