Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Mid-level painting setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mid-level painting setup

I've got 2 hoods, 2 cars, and a whole lot of other stuff that needs paint.

Right now I have nothing that's really usable for that. I do have a Craftsman HVLP gun and an old Campbell-Hausfeld compressor, but they're not really suitable for the task. The compressor is 10 years old, and is louder than my '98Z (which is huge cam, high compression, and bullet mufflers dumped off the headers). The gun is suitable for furniture, but that's about it.

I started thinking about it when Fireball did his hood post. Love how the paint job turned out on his hood.

I also am thinking I should replace the CH compressor that I have. Time for it to be relegated to front garage tire and inflatables duty (as opposed to my shop out back duty).

I think my budget would be roughly $1500.

I went and looked at an 80 gallon, 5hp Ingersoll-Rand compressor at Tractor Supply. It's rated at 18.1 CFM @ 90PSI. It's priced at $742. I figure it'll last me for years to come with air tools and whatnot. Only issue will be getting it home... the sucker is HUGE! Have to take the trailer there to get it, and strap it down good.

Looking at a fresh air respirator system on ebay. I've pretty much decided that I don't want just a filter mask, but actual fresh air. My lungs and health are worth it. $325 (system with 50' hose). Plus I can use it while welding and sanding. I like the sound of that.

Looking at getting 2 HVLP guns. The Astro DX3 for basecoat / clearcoat, and the Astro DX9 for primers. I've seen that ideally, you want to keep your primer gun separate from your bc/cc gun. $160 for both of those.

A main line filter by Sharpe to remove main line contaminants and provide regulation ($99). Secondary Sharpe filter after the copper tubing to work as a water trap. ($50).

50' of 1/2" copper tubing from McMaster-Carr, $53, to act as an intercooler to condense oil and moisture (goes between the 2 filters).

That's got me at $1500. Probably have to add at least another $100-$200 more for hoses and fittings and gun-mounted filters, but I'm in the ballpark.

Any comments on this equipment setup?

I figure I have enough work to justify it.

-hood for 94Z and 98Z
-entire Fiero
-entire 79Z
-nose and rear bumper for 94Z, likely the fenders and possibly passenger side door as well (all damaged / scratched)
-fender on wife's van
-neighborhood dogs and cats

I'd start by painting the Fiero. It's a tiny car, should go reasonably quick, and if it looks like crap... well, it's a Fiero. Paint it Navy Blue Metallic (same as my 98Z). To get some practice. And then go from there...

I've been reading over at http://www.autobody101.com - some interesting stuff there.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

sounds like a good setup, especially if you put the work in, it could save you money and turn out really nice. good luck with it.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
I've got 2 hoods, 2 cars, and a whole lot of other stuff that needs paint.

Right now I have nothing that's really usable for that. I do have a Craftsman HVLP gun and an old Campbell-Hausfeld compressor, but they're not really suitable for the task. The compressor is 10 years old, and is louder than my '98Z (which is huge cam, high compression, and bullet mufflers dumped off the headers). The gun is suitable for furniture, but that's about it.

I started thinking about it when Fireball did his hood post. Love how the paint job turned out on his hood.

I also am thinking I should replace the CH compressor that I have. Time for it to be relegated to front garage tire and inflatables duty (as opposed to my shop out back duty).

I think my budget would be roughly $1500.

I went and looked at an 80 gallon, 5hp Ingersoll-Rand compressor at Tractor Supply. It's rated at 18.1 CFM @ 90PSI. It's priced at $742. I figure it'll last me for years to come with air tools and whatnot. Only issue will be getting it home... the sucker is HUGE! Have to take the trailer there to get it, and strap it down good.

Looking at a fresh air respirator system on ebay. I've pretty much decided that I don't want just a filter mask, but actual fresh air. My lungs and health are worth it. $325 (system with 50' hose). Plus I can use it while welding and sanding. I like the sound of that.

Looking at getting 2 HVLP guns. The Astro DX3 for basecoat / clearcoat, and the Astro DX9 for primers. I've seen that ideally, you want to keep your primer gun separate from your bc/cc gun. $160 for both of those.

A main line filter by Sharpe to remove main line contaminants and provide regulation ($99). Secondary Sharpe filter after the copper tubing to work as a water trap. ($50).

50' of 1/2" copper tubing from McMaster-Carr, $53, to act as an intercooler to condense oil and moisture (goes between the 2 filters).

That's got me at $1500. Probably have to add at least another $100-$200 more for hoses and fittings and gun-mounted filters, but I'm in the ballpark.

Any comments on this equipment setup?

I figure I have enough work to justify it.

-hood for 94Z and 98Z
-entire Fiero
-entire 79Z
-nose and rear bumper for 94Z, likely the fenders and possibly passenger side door as well (all damaged / scratched)
-fender on wife's van
-neighborhood dogs and cats

I'd start by painting the Fiero. It's a tiny car, should go reasonably quick, and if it looks like crap... well, it's a Fiero. Paint it Navy Blue Metallic (same as my 98Z). To get some practice. And then go from there...

I've been reading over at http://www.autobody101.com - some interesting stuff there.
Check out www.autobodytoolmart.com decent prices I am looking at their SAS full hood fresh air system (part number 8346). If you wear glasses, like I do, this is a good option.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmm, that looks interesting, but for a few more dollars (like $10), I get a complete standalone unit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7600641616

I don't wear glasses (lucky me ), and am looking at a half mask unit so that it'd fit under my welding mask.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

I paint alot. Compressor is great. Get a good HVLP gun. I suggest a Sata 2000. If you clean the gun well, you won't need two guns. in the end, you can buy a cheep primer gun but for now, spend the money on a good top coat gun. ( I use my gun for BC and Top coat) you will thank me later. as for the paint, use the best top coat you can afford. I use Dupont, ppg is good too. you should use base coat clear coat. this finish is far better in the long run. Good luck on your projects..
Old 03-22-2006, 02:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a more serious setup than a lot of "pros" use
Old 03-22-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

SATA guns are $$$$. 5x as much as the Astro (which is a copy of an SATA, I believe). Ahh, decisions. But indeed, they are likely the best - but I do notice they take more air than the others (like 15 cfm, vs 10-12 for most of the other guns). I'm having a tough time on gun choice. So many "recommendations" out there, it's like trying to decide "what headers are best". All of 'em can get the job done, some are simply more elegant than others...

And serious... LOL, I've learned that I can't half *** anything any more. I go all in, or I pay someone else to do it.

I need the compressor (I use my 10 year old CH compressor all the time for air tools, and it frankly scares my kids right out of the shop it's so loud - it seriously sounds like it's going to shake itself apart one of these days). Might as well get one that can run a DA sander etc and not flinch. I'd probably end up putting this one outside my shop on a pad in a little covered area.

I need the fresh air. No compromising my health.

The rest of it is up in the air. Thanks guys.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Every gun will have its quirks I suppose. From my reading, looks like the astro is a good starter gun. Almost went with that myself but there was a month backorder so I changed to a more expensive model. The Sharpe Titanium I bought seems pretty nice.

LIke was said, you really don't need 2 guns, but primer generally lays better with a slightly larger tip and most BC/CC like a smaller tip. I lay my primer with an el cheapo Campel Hausfeld conventional gun.

www.spraygunworld seems to be a decent source.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

I was just reading about that "guy on ebay selling fresh air systems" for $300...

Turns out the pump he uses in those systems - is nothing more than a $25 air mattress pump from Wal Mart.

Hmm...
Old 03-22-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmm, that looks interesting, but for a few more dollars (like $10), I get a complete standalone unit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7600641616

I don't wear glasses (lucky me ), and am looking at a half mask unit so that it'd fit under my welding mask.
I'll throw this out there FWIW. A full mask may be a better choice. I spent over 20 years in the military flying business and we would recieve annual chemical warfare training. One thing they emphasized was that your eyes can absorb some of the chemicals in the air. I know from personal experience, that painting with a half mask can lead to some nasty headaches/ eye irritation from the fumes of spray can paints and spray guns, if you dont have a really good system of ventilation. With that said, I think I will go with the full hood option, cant get a real good seal with a full mask and wearing glasses. Something else I learned in the military.Anyway, just my opinion. You are right, it can be a health issue if you dont protect yourself. Just my two cents on this.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

The more I research, the more I think you're right there George.

Leaning towards the full hood setup now. Haven't decided which way to go on the pump though. They HobbyAir2 by Axis seems to be popular, but is $400+. What's amusing about these forced fresh air systems is that they're not much more than filtered rheostat-controlled vacuum cleaner motors or mattress pumps, a section of food-grade hose, and a hood. I see that I can get the hood from http://www.sassafety.com for ~$55. Hmm...
Old 03-22-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

The more I research, the more I think you're right there George.

Leaning towards the full hood setup now. Haven't decided which way to go on the pump though. They HobbyAir2 by Axis seems to be popular, but is $400+. What's amusing about these forced fresh air systems is that they're not much more than filtered rheostat-controlled vacuum cleaner motors or mattress pumps, a section of food-grade hose, and a hood. I see that I can get the hood from http://www.sassafety.com for ~$55. Hmm...
The SAS system from auto body toolmart (their part numberr 8346)attaches to your compressed air system, via a filter and doesnt rely on a separate pump.
Seems like a neat way to go, just dont trip over the hose.

Quick Reply: Mid-level painting setup