Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

what size compressor for painting, and what do you think of this set

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default what size compressor for painting, and what do you think of this set

hey im looking to get a compressor for some painting (touching up, or painting individual parts). i have heard that you really want a 50gal to paint a whole car, especially if your trying to keep pressure to walk the car with some candy paint or what not. but seeing as i dont have a booth or room for a 50 gal i wont be painting whole cars anytime soon.

i found this at home depot

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...4+3966&pos=n24

$249 seems like a good price for a known brand 26gal + a decent tool kit. ill probably end up ditching that crappy looking gun for a gravity feed, but the rest of the kit looks strait.

its rated @ 5.6/3.8 SCFM @ 40/90. i understand what this means, but im not sure how it compares to other compressors of like size, or if it would be something to paint with.

opinions?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For $279 you can get a Craftsman 33 gallon compressor rated at 8.6/6.4, that was about the best deal I could find after looking around for the past couple of weeks (no tool kit though). I just bought one the other day. I plan on using it with a DeVilbiss Finishline III gun to spray panels.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

A name brand minigun like this should work - and that compressor *should* keep up.

http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...0SHP248752.htm

It'll run a lot though, so you'll need to run some watertraps and filters (compressors make water when they run, especially in humid areas). CFM is far more important than tank size or horsepower. If the CFM rating on the gun is equal to or higher than the compressor, you'll probably run in to problems.

I'm looking at getting a DeVilbiss Plus (GFG670), which is a 9 CFM gun. I'm also looking at an 18 CFM compressor (Ingersoll-Rand 5hp/80gal). They should go well together.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:31 AM
10 Second Club

Hmm...I didn't see the G670. Looks like a nice gun, maybe I'll try that instead of a Finishline III.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, my contemplation about guns has had me headed in several directions, but searching at http://www.autobody101.com has put me towards that one.

My 98Z and 94Z both have metallic paint, and apparently "you really get what you pay for" when applying metallics. I'm going to start by practicing on one of my parts cars (Fiero), move on to my Fiero (paint it NBM), then move on to my NBM 98Z (new hood, repaint front clip), then move on to my black 94Z (new hood, new nose & rear bumper, repaint front fenders & pass door). I'm going to get the less expensive Astro gun as a primer gun.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

The compressor you have in the picture should work fine...for paint. It's running a DA that brings the problem. I have the biggest SINGLE STAGE compressor craftsman makes. Works great with my sata spray gun!!!! But with my DA, trying to sand a whole car, the compressor runs constantly. A TWO STAGE compressor is the way to go for that. It just all depends on your budget and how often you plan to use it, and what you will use it for.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fast377
The compressor you have in the picture should work fine...for paint. It's running a DA that brings the problem. I have the biggest SINGLE STAGE compressor craftsman makes. Works great with my sata spray gun!!!! But with my DA, trying to sand a whole car, the compressor runs constantly. A TWO STAGE compressor is the way to go for that. It just all depends on your budget and how often you plan to use it, and what you will use it for.
im not familiar with the term DA. and i dont mind the compressor being on the whole time. and i am on a budget, but i can see myself using it fairly often
Old 03-28-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

DA=Dual Action Sander. Air hogs.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
DA=Dual Action Sander. Air hogs.
With the above pictured compressor, the use of a da would substantially reduce the life of the compressor. Not only would it run all the time, it also reaches a point where the sander requires more than the compressor puts out. Therefore doubling the amount of time it would take to sand a car. Not to mention the amount of water that would be generated. Even with a filter/regulator it would still spit water into the sander.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fast377
With the above pictured compressor, the use of a da would substantially reduce the life of the compressor. Not only would it run all the time, it also reaches a point where the sander requires more than the compressor puts out. Therefore doubling the amount of time it would take to sand a car. Not to mention the amount of water that would be generated. Even with a filter/regulator it would still spit water into the sander.
this is gona be for garage use, so no whole cars. just spraying random things. not even for fixing scratches, but painting engine parts, interior parts, wheels, crap like that.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camaroextra
this is gona be for garage use, so no whole cars. just spraying random things. not even for fixing scratches, but painting engine parts, interior parts, wheels, crap like that.
Well than the above would be perfect. Big enough for an impact, spray gun, angle grinder, etc. I say go for it.

Quick Reply: what size compressor for painting, and what do you think of this set