Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

stripped the keyed lug nut... what now??

Old 03-24-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default stripped the keyed lug nut... what now??

I have a 98 T/A and it, like other F-bodies have the 5th lug nut that is a keyed one so that no one can steal your rims... well mine is the older style that have the keys on the "outside of the nut" and i stripped the hell out of it just takin it off as normal as could be.... i had bought the newer keyed lug nuts with keys on the "inside" of the nut and was just tryin to replace them..... I replaced all but that wheel.... so my question is how in the hell do i get that nut off now? I cannot use heat because the stud is recessed into the rim and it will burn the hell out of the rim. Any ideas?? thanks!!
Old 03-24-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go buy the "Lug-Out" from sears. It's a handy 3-pc set that allows you to remove locking lug nuts...works like a charm. I'm sure you can find cheaper variations from auto parts stores.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey thanks man!!
Old 03-24-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Np...
Old 03-26-2006, 12:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by joshp14
Go buy the "Lug-Out" from sears. It's a handy 3-pc set that allows you to remove locking lug nuts...works like a charm. I'm sure you can find cheaper variations from auto parts stores.
Just a thought, but every thief could also buy a "Lug-Out" from Sears and remove your locking lug nut... I got rid of my locking lug nuts long ago - A real thief that wants to steal your wheels will not even be slowed down by those stupid locking lugnuts, and the were a pain for me to deal with when removing my own tires. Plus the time I get a flat in the middle of nowhere would be the time that I had just used the "key" in my garage and left it on the workbench...

Do you use "The Club" to lock your steering wheel every time you go to the grocery store?
Old 03-26-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just took a socket that would "almost" fit the lug nut,beat it on with a hammer and then use your breaker bar or impact.Then beat your lug out of the socket with a punch
Old 03-26-2006, 01:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
I have a 98 T/A and it, like other F-bodies have the 5th lug nut that is a keyed one so that no one can steal your rims... well mine is the older style that have the keys on the "outside of the nut" and i stripped the hell out of it just takin it off as normal as could be.... i had bought the newer keyed lug nuts with keys on the "inside" of the nut and was just tryin to replace them..... I replaced all but that wheel.... so my question is how in the hell do i get that nut off now? I cannot use heat because the stud is recessed into the rim and it will burn the hell out of the rim. Any ideas?? thanks!!
Try taking it to a tire shop, the guy that I went to did all 4 of mine for like 5$ and then he even gave me free lugnutz to go on the ones he took off.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If all else fails get on it with a air Chisel... I speak from experience lol

-john

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stripped the keyed lug nut... what now??