Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Want to purchase pressure washer - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to purchase pressure washer - recommendations?

These slate rock slabs for the landscaping have gotten weathered and in poor looking shape. I want to restore these. I'd like a recommendation on a couple pressurewashers that could get picked up at Sears or Home Depot maybe so they can be cleaned 2-3 times a year. I want to put up some pictures so you can see what I see and perhaps you can also suggest a good cleaner to get the stains out. Bleach is a possible use only since they are part of landscaping I really don't want to kill off the plants. One person has recommended "Everclean" to me for this reason - anyone heard of it? Also I've heard I'll need between 2500-3000psi but anymore would be overkill for my purposes.

Thanks for help in advance and now a couple pictures of what needs to be cleaned. The slabs with some algae buildup are slightly lower than the others and therefore hold rain for longer and look worse - not to mention can be dangerous to slip on.
Attached Thumbnails Want to purchase pressure washer - recommendations?-dsc00558-small-.jpg   Want to purchase pressure washer - recommendations?-dsc00559-small-.jpg   Want to purchase pressure washer - recommendations?-dsc00560-small-.jpg   Want to purchase pressure washer - recommendations?-dsc00561-small-.jpg  
Old 04-03-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

gas powered is stronger, you have to be careful because they give you different nozzles and some of them can cut a brick in half.....
Old 04-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Lame Excuse for a Photog

I have a 5.5hp craftsman pressure washer. Seems pretty good so far. Either way get sears extended warranty To get those clean you may want to use some kind of algae remover first.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

just don't buy a generac...it's made by B&S. I would go with a North Star from Nothern with a GX series Honda. The honda will cost more for it to be worked on but are much better motors.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Funny it looks like all Sears has is a Briggs and Stratton. So this one is not what you'd get to use 3-4 times a year? http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...essure+Washers

Okay what about this one? http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...gmj.0&MID=9876

It has a Honda motor for power. It's also reasonably priced. There was another Honda GX powered one with 13 hp but that's $1100 and too much money to spend.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Whoever says don't buy B&S is a idiot. They've been making, durable engines for a long time.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

no briggs stuff is crap...they make the engines in overseas and use the cheapest parts availible. The older motors are great but I wouldn't have a new one if someone gave it to me
Old 04-04-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

I have a Troybilt with a Honda 5hp on it. It is basically identical to that $388 Excell 2600psi on the Home Depot site. It works pretty well cleaning sidewalks. One of the nozzles has a little pinhole in it and that sucker will kick some ***. I've run it 2-3 hours at a time and haven't had any trouble with it. One suggestion...get a longer hose or an extension, 25ft doesn't get you very far.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

Well we all have our own opinions...SmokeySS you can PM me if you have any ?s. I deal with small engines everyday, it goes along with my line of work.

Quick Reply: Want to purchase pressure washer - recommendations?