Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Bottle Jacks

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bottle Jacks

I see that you can get some bottle jacks for fairly cheap. I need a good jack and those bulky shop jacks are a bit expensive.

Do the bottle jacks work well and are they able to keep a car up/ jack a car pretty high?
Old 04-23-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they suck. they take forever to jack up the car and arent particularly stable (small base), and they dont jack that high. theres a reason they are cheap
Old 04-23-2006, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

kthx wont be wasting my money on 1 then
Old 04-25-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Generally, they aren’t short enough to get under most cars and are not really stable enough for that kind of thing anyway. They’re more designed for moving stuff around and as a source of power for other things (like a hydraulic press, engine crane…)
Old 04-26-2006, 05:20 AM
On The Tree

The jack that comes with the Landrover in the UK is a telescopic bottle jack that gets up really high - still a small base though. I tend to use my floor jack more as it gets under lower cars more easily and lifts almost as high
Old 04-27-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used a bottle jack once because I didn't have the floor jack with me. The next time I needed a jack, I took my floor jack. My dad's had that bottle jack for a while but it's just a pain and it doesn't go very high. Also, you're limited to what you can put it under and such.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

Bottle jacks are great for what they are designed for. Lifting heavy things that have alot of ground clearance like a tractor or something like that they work well for but for lifting a vehicle not so much.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kossuth
Bottle jacks are great for what they are designed for. Lifting heavy things that have alot of ground clearance like a tractor or something like that they work well for but for lifting a vehicle not so much.
In high school we had a few bottle jacks lying around the school shop, and we used to sneak out of class and find people who left their lockers unlocked and put the jack in and extend it, those things are strong, they would bust the floor or roof of the locker right out yeah i know i was immature

Quick Reply: Bottle Jacks