Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting
View Poll Results: Which Toolbox Do You Prefer?
Craftsman Professional
35.77%
MAC
5.69%
Matco
25.20%
Snap-On
33.33%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions Wanted - Trying to Decide on a Toolbox

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 04:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions Wanted - Trying to Decide on a Toolbox

The time has come to buy a toolbox. I was originally going to buy a simple Craftsman toolbox from Sears, but I am really considering stepping up to something a bit nicer. My question is, is it worth the extra $$ for a Snap-On, MAC, or Matco toolbox? If I bought Craftsman it would be the professional series so the cost isn't that much more for the others, but it is more. For those of you that have them, what do you suggest. Does anyone wish they would have went with something different? TIA.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you're going to use it every day as a job, then a nice used Snap On would be my choice. I've seen a bunch of them for sale around here (from Austin to Dallas).

As a weekend warrior, my toolboxes are all lower end Craftsman (for example, the black 13-drawer cabinet that goes on sale for ~$319 occasionally). No problems with any of them, but I do wish I'd gotten ball bearing slides versus standard slides, they slide easier especially when loaded down with tools - but that hasn't proven to be a problem for me so far.

I recently looked around for a new tool chest, but I just can't justify $2k for a Snap On unit, when I've had these Craftsman boxes for 10 years and they're still going. I ended up buying a pair of 3-drawer ball bearing Craftsman base units for $150/ea (needed somewhere to keep my power tools and my paint stuff). Slapped a cut to fit sheet of 3/4" MDF on top of each and they now have a nice work surface as well.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's one thing I've found that isn't worth the extra $$$ for the "name brand" boxes
My toolbox is from Lowes (Kobalt brand) got it on sale for $600, has the ball bearing slides, lots of drawers, and it may not say Snap On or Mac or who ever, but it works fine, has lasted, so far, 5 years with no problems.
I can't justify spending $2k (or more) for just a place to put my tools, when the one I have works fine (and yes I do use it daily)
If you really want the name, then look for a used one, too bad you aren't local, guy is selling his Mac box for $1k (think it's a Tech 1000) and it's a $2k box
Old 05-20-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Funny you say that... I'm about as local to you as you'll find. Hometown - Wichita, KS. Just happen to be halfway around the world right now.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

I work at a dealership so I use this stuff every day of my life. I have a $4500 Matco box. My friend has a Craftsman and honestly, there is NO comparison in which is made better. The brand name boxes are made with heavier gauge steel , slides and other important structural parts. For an at home box, a Craftsman will do you just fine I'm sure. Walk into any dealership and find more than one person who is an actual tech using something other than a Snap-on, Mac or Matco Box.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
If you're going to use it every day as a job, then a nice used Snap On would be my choice.
If you just want something for your home garage then a good craftsman ball bearing box is just fine. I can't justify spending that much money for a snap on box for home use. But as stated above if it's your job, then it's worth the money. If you want to get real outrageous, price some Lista cabinets (F1 guys use these)!!!
Old 05-20-2006, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

**** matco go mac or snap on.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

I hate Snap-on's roll lock system as well as their lockout on drawers. (You can only pull one drawer out at on a time on each bank. <---retarded. Mac boxes just suck completely. They feel and look as cheap as a Craftsman box.

For tools, I buy Snap-on. For a box, the Matco 5S series is the way to go.

My box....

Matco also has the best "no-slip" drawer liners on the market. There detent system works great on the drawers. I've sat in my drawers on many occasions to show people how sturdy they are. I weigh in at around 230lbs. You can do that with Snap-on as well, but don't even try with a Craftsman.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

SVT I think I have the same box as you- the 7525 in dark green. I've had it about 2 months and I really like it, for all the reasons stated above. Most important to me at least was we have one guy in the shop who is die-hard Sanp-On, his box is SO, and 95% of his tools are too. Everytime any of us bought something off one of the other trucks he'd start in on how the same thing from Snappy is better. My box got dropped off early on a monday and it was just us two in the shop at that point. He walked over, opened a few of the drawers, looked it over, and said "This is really nice" and walked off. For someone like him to say that means more than any spec. sheet or demonstaition ever would.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I'm not a mechanic by trade so it won't be used for my job. BUT, when I'm home I like to wrench, and I like it a lot. If I'm not working on my car I am usually helping out a friend with something on theirs. The tool box would definitely get an average of 15 days a month or more.

I'm sure a Craftsman box will work fine, but I've heard quite a few people saying how the build quality on the others are better. Specficially the thickness of the metal. Hence the reason for the post.

Has anyone ever "upgraded" and found it was/wasn't worth it?

Thanks for all the feedback guys, keep it coming.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Toonz
Well I'm not a mechanic by trade so it won't be used for my job. BUT, when I'm home I like to wrench, and I like it a lot. If I'm not working on my car I am usually helping out a friend with something on theirs. The tool box would definitely get an average of 15 days a month or more.

I'm sure a Craftsman box will work fine, but I've heard quite a few people saying how the build quality on the others are better. Specficially the thickness of the metal. Hence the reason for the post.

Has anyone ever "upgraded" and found it was/wasn't worth it?

Thanks for all the feedback guys, keep it coming.
Like I said before, when my friend and I worked in the same shop he had a craftsman box. To me, when you compared pulling his drawers out to mine, it felt like you were playing with a toy. The quality just isn't there. I doubt it will take too much abuse either. The metal on his Craftsman dented and bent VERY easily too. It's just a night and day difference in quality. It's up to you if it's worth the extra few grand.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

the difference is like shutting a door on a econobox Kia than shutting the door on a Benz, the Benz just sounds more solid. Shutting the drawers on my old craftsman made a hollow sound and all sorts of rattles. My matco box shuts with a solid "thunk" and a click of the drawer detents.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Honestly, most people will be very happy with any box with ball bearing slides...
Old 05-23-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

well most people say.."well if youre going to use it everyday, go with better box" . I guess i am the single exeption, i use my "cheap craftsman" everyday. I am not a mechanic, but a maintenance tech. Unlike the mechanics at a dealership or in a shop, I roll mine around in a hostile environment, (hot, wet, dirty *** fiberglass plant and i have never had one complaint. Mine is all dented, scratched and has about 200lbs of tools in it. never had one one problem. i say buy a decent one and save that 4500 for something else. IMO its just a "look at my $$ box", im probably going to get flamed for that but oh well. IT doesnt do anything, it holds tools and the drawers slide in and out, no way 4500 can justify that..
Old 05-24-2006, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redbandit98
well most people say.."well if youre going to use it everyday, go with better box" . I guess i am the single exeption, i use my "cheap craftsman" everyday. I am not a mechanic, but a maintenance tech. Unlike the mechanics at a dealership or in a shop, I roll mine around in a hostile environment, (hot, wet, dirty *** fiberglass plant and i have never had one complaint. Mine is all dented, scratched and has about 200lbs of tools in it. never had one one problem. i say buy a decent one and save that 4500 for something else. IMO its just a "look at my $$ box", im probably going to get flamed for that but oh well. IT doesnt do anything, it holds tools and the drawers slide in and out, no way 4500 can justify that..

Ever owned or used one of those $4500 boxes? It might change your mind. I agree it's a lot of money to spend, but just like cars, I have a passion for tools. I treat them the same way I do my car. I don't skimp out and buy cheap ****.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

FWIW I know at least one person in my shop prob. has close to 200 lbs in the top drawer of his box (Snap-On) alone. I had a craftsman box, ballbearing and all, and in one of my lightest drawers, the slide broke off of the side of the box, I had to drill and re-attach it with new bolts. I see it as a investment- I could very easily keep this box for as long as I work on cars, adding top and side cabinets as nessacary. But if I trade it in on another new box, I'd take very little loss on it- as long as the box is in good shape you'll get within a few hundred of what you paid for it. Now, I got my toolbox for nearly $2000 below list- so if I traded it to another one of the tool guys (Mac, Snap On, etc) I might even get more than I paid for it. And the big brand boxes are just better built- all the metal is thicker, the paint is more scratch resistant, I've nicked drawers with screwdrivers in my Matco box with no damage where it would have taken paint on my Craftsman. And something big to me with people going in and out of the shop all day, even after I leave is that all the big name boxes have much better locking systems, I read somewhere that the Matco one is "unpickable" I know that nothing is truely unpickable, but I did show the box and key to a friend who is a locksmith, and he did confrim that it'd be a pain in the *** to pick, and the lock has a thick ring that is free floating around it, making taking the lock out with a chisel very hard as well. Finally, this damn box weighs like 640 pounds EMPTY! I have very little doubt that with all my stuff in there I'm pretty close to 900-1000 pounds overall- thats not something that a couple of guys can go and lift into a pickup. Besides, all the other shop guys will tell ya- its only $30/week!
Old 05-24-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SVT WUT 7
Ever owned or used one of those $4500 boxes? It might change your mind. I agree it's a lot of money to spend, but just like cars, I have a passion for tools. I treat them the same way I do my car. I don't skimp out and buy cheap ****.
true

my box below

I don't like the other boxes (matco) because that middle section that adds "regidity" is just taking up space. I personally like the styling of Snap-on boxes better anyway. My snap-on has a long 2nd middle drawer instead. Plus I like being able to select the size (depth) of my drawers also because having those little 1" ones suck, you really can't put much of anything in there. I got rid of mine, only have one set on each side.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 5w20
true

my box below

I don't like the other boxes (matco) because that middle section that adds "regidity" is just taking up space. I personally like the styling of Snap-on boxes better anyway. My snap-on has a long 2nd middle drawer instead. Plus I like being able to select the size (depth) of my drawers also because having those little 1" ones suck, you really can't put much of anything in there. I got rid of mine, only have one set on each side.

I chose my drawer configuration as well. (depth) Unfortunately, at the time that I custom ordered it, I was uneducated on what size drawers I would really need and have use for. My little drawers are already full and I'm running out of room in my big drawers for my air tools and bigger specialty stuff. Unfortunately, after having this box for just about 8 months, it might just be time to get a 3 wide. I don't know if I'll go Matco or go Snap-on. I might have to go Snap-on because I haven't seen my Matco guy in about 6 weeks.

Last edited by ACW; 06-23-2006 at 03:12 AM. Reason: thumbnails of quoted images
Old 05-25-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I could have choosen veriouis drawer sizes on mine, and the standard mix of deep, shallow, etc works fine for me. my layout is a bit different than SVTs- the top drawer is the same with all my sockets, ratchets, extensions and stuff I'm always using (oil filter wrenches, pens, etc) I have more deep drawers on the left for my air tools. theres pics of everything here As for the "wasted space" my Matco box is just over a inch taller then the tech next to me who has a Snap-On box similar to yours, so its made up for. And if you got that wasted space line from that useless DVD that got whored out by all the dealers than don't waste your time- that thing was so biased its not funny
Old 05-25-2006, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 03NHSilvy
And if you got that wasted space line from that useless DVD that got whored out by all the dealers than don't waste your time- that thing was so biased its not funny

Agreed!! Nothing against Snap-On (who produced that DVD), but it was a flipping joke. Anyone with any sense could see how pathetically one-sided it was.

Quick Reply: Opinions Wanted - Trying to Decide on a Toolbox