Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

cracked front end

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation cracked front end

Well I was driving home last night around 10pm and some punk kids pushed a shopping cart out in front of me before i had a chance to stop, i hit it. I crack the front end of my T/A. do you guys know what i can use to fix it.
body filler? ect.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fender or bumper cover?

Dont use body filler unless you want it to crack right back out. body filler has entirely different expansion characteristics and will eventually sepperate/crack. 3M makes a couple of very good Semi regid plastic repair adhesives but if the crack is on an edge the panel usually needs to be replaced. I would also suggest having someone that has done these repairs before do the work. Its more involved than just gluing the panel back together, you have to prep the panel correctly, remove any mold release agents, adhesion promoter may be needed, reinforcing mesh, ect.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So is the crack in the front bumper. Is it cracked all the way through? Or just the clear coat and paint.
Be honest with you I think I would head to a body shop to let them repair it. Any way you look at it you are going to have to have the whole bumper repainted.

Hope you beat the hell out of them punk *** kids.

Sorry for your damage!
Old 05-29-2006, 06:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Several companies offer products to do the repair right.

Regular body filler will simply chip off.

3M has a flexible bumper repair system. Clean and use their special adhesion promoter, glue the part together, put a woven mat on the backside for strength, then use their flexible parts filler to fill any evidence of the crack. Google 3M™ Automix™ Plastic and Bumper Repair

Fusor, SEM, and other companies sell similar products.

There are also bumper recyclers who repair and repaint OEM bumpers. Supposed to be reasonably priced as well.

There are 'new' bumper covers on ebay, but most are imported cheap poor-fitting junk. Unless it's OEM, I wouldn't want it on my car.

Quick Reply: cracked front end