Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Starting my tool collection, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting my tool collection, suggestions?

I bought the 432Piece(?) crapsman set to get me started since it was on sale IM going to buy a couple of good snap on ratchets also. I already have some breaker bars, basic plier types, vice grips, and screwdrivers. I do all my own work on my truck. I used to have access to any tool I needed but that has gone away now it has come time for me to start building my own collection and I ma wondering what tools I should pick up in addition to what I already have. I plan on picking up a tq wrench for ft and in-lbs soon. There are certain tools that make jobs alot easier like the ever popular swivel head 1/4" snapon ratchet which is on its way to me as we speak are there any other must-have tools that I should get?
Old 08-12-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A set of "gear wrenches" are good.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Buy some Impact Swivel Sockets - One of the Greatest Tools Ever

and a Good 3/8 Impact
Old 08-12-2006, 06:28 PM

Im have been watching ebay for a good deal on snap-on gear wrneches they are on my list I just forgot. Swivel impacts sound expensive. I already have a 1/2 impact gun and 1/2-3.8 impact reducer
Old 08-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Get the gear wrench brand wrenches they are cheaper and imo are a bit nicer. I have the ones with the selectable direction and angled head. More versatile than the straight ones without the selector. Swivel impacts are a technicians gift from god. Big bucks for the snap-on ones but they are well worth it. Also a prybar set with 3 sizes is very handy and they go nice with a B.F.H.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:13 PM

Ah yes the BFH I need to get one of those too. Along with the verypopular 10# sledge
Old 08-13-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

For impact swivels I prefer Matco over Snap-on. Snap-On uses a pivot pin which will break over time (and trust me, it sucks when it breaks), whereas Matco has a different design that I really can't explain, but it won't break anywhere near as easy as the Snap-On version, and yes they cost enough to make you cry, thats why I only bought the sizes I know I'd need at work. I definite second for ratcheting wrenchs, but my favorite are the Blue Point (Snap On) ones, which are angled and have the directional switch, much finer mechanism than any of the others. I also have a couple of 1/4" drive swivel sockets for getting into tight areas, mostly interior stuff, again I prefer to buy only the sizes you'll need for what you work on cause they cost a bunch too. Snap-On also makes a 3-piece trim removal kit which IMO is the best out there, basically a screwdriver handle, with various lengths with a "V" on the end for popping interior fasteners. Matco also sells a pair of pliers that work awesome for getting out those stupid plastic pushpins that are used to hold on fender liners and such. Also my punch and chisel set from Mac. Its on a T-handle and the different pieces snap onto it. Its nice cause its real hard to smash your hand on a hard swing since its protected, I did that once than bought this set lol. Finally, I have a gearless 3.8" ratchet from Mac (I think they all have them) that just kicks ***, no play in the mechanism means it works great for tight spots. I have pics of everything I mentioned, as well as the rest of my tool collection here
Old 08-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Dont diss too hard on Craftsman, it is by no means the best in quality but you can't hardly beat the price. I just bought a ton of Matco stuff and I don't know how the quality on it is. I hope its good, here in school we have to have brake rotor calipers and stuff you never use in a real shop anyway. I have alot of Snap-On stuff, the ratchets kick major ***. I like SK ratchets too, my grandpa turned me on to them and the price is less than a Snap-On. I think Blue-Point tools are awesome too. The Mac man never came to the shop I worked at so I have no experience with their stuff, as flaky as the Mac guys are around here I doubt that I will buy much from them anyway.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

i know i'm late to post, almost always am, but i would say a good impact driver is one of the best tools to have in your collection. mine's a cheap one, but it's got me out of enough tight spots (get it?) to make it worth buying a good one when this one kicks the bucket.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer MAC Tools, They are cheper than Snap-on and awesome quality, same warranty, VERY high quality tool never had any problems w/ them.

Jon

Quick Reply: Starting my tool collection, suggestions?