Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

QUALITY: Matco vs SnapOn

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default QUALITY: Matco vs SnapOn

I am making a decision to purchase my 3/8” and ½” drive tools. I would like to have all the sockets, ratchets, breaker bars, extensions, and maybe even the torque wrench made by one manufacturer.

I know both Matco and SnapOn make high quality tools, so I do not want to start a lengthy debate. For this post I simply want to hear from people who have made a decision between the two for their 3/8” and ½” drive tools, why they made their decision, and if they are satisfied with their decision. Thank for taking the time to read this, and hopefully contributing with a response. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

are you paying cash or using a truck account? snap-on is easier to deal with if you're getting a truck account. i think matco has the nicest/easiest to use impact sockets(though not the strongest, more on this later), while snap-on has good chrome sockets. FWIW, the majority of my sockets are craftsman, 3/8 hand ratchet is a matco and a craftsman(the craftsman has a shorter handle and thicker head, the matco has a longer handle with a lower profile head), 1/2 hand ratchet is craftsman. 36" 1/2 breaker bar is snap-on. all my impacts are snap-on, and air ratchets are matco. i have had to get both my air ratchets fixed, and he didn't even have a good loaner. i am not really satisfied with my matco air ratchets. i've had guys with older snap-on ratchets come bust bolts loose that i couldn't get with my matco. also my snap-on 1/2 impact has SHATTERED matco and craftsman IMPACT sockets. not chrome, but impact. the matco man didn't even believe us. everybody with IR, cornwell, mac, matco, etc, come to borrow my snap-on 1/2 impact when their's doesn't have enough "nuts" for the job. my 3/8 torque wrench is craftsman, the 1/2 is a snap-on tech angle. that techangle is the ****. it does torque and angles. my 3/8 is good for light, precision work. aluminum fittings, A/C work, oil pans and what not. i hope this info helps.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you'd like to stick with one, but my honest opinion is Snappy is better for some tools, where Matco is better for others. The biggest thing I choose Matco for is swivel impact sockets. SO uses a balljoint design with a pin through the middle as a pivot. Matco also has a balljoint design, but in place of the pin, the ball has notches cut into it that the outer part of the socket engauges. I know it isn't a good description, but thats the best I can do, you really need to look at one to see what I mean I guess. Ratchets both are pretty good, I have some of both, like them all and price was the deciding factor on those. Sockets and wrenchs I'd choose Snap On, they're more money but they're less likely to round off a bolt, and are better at removeing rounded off ones after the fact (though IMO the new Mac Edge sockets and wrenchs are better than both SO and Matco). Extensions I have Matco, mostly because I got a deal on them, but I'd say to try and buy all ratchets, extensions and sockets from the same guy because my Matco extensions don't hold on to some of my other brand sockets very well. Almost all my air tools are Mac, and they all do a great job with the exception of my 1/2" impact, its broken twice (same prob) in a year and I now have the IR titanium gum rebadged as a Matco, which has a ton of power. I like the Mac air tools because they seem to have just as much power as anyone elses, but they are quiet, which is a big benefit IMO when your using them all day. Only other 2 air tools that aren't Mac are my air hammer and 3" cutoff wheel, both Matco, and they have served me well. One bit of advice on a cutoff wheel, get one that is reverseable. It may not seem like a big deal, but its nice to be able to direct the stream of sparks and metal booger away from you when your in a tight spot. If you hold up any of my work shirts to a light, you see light streaming in from tons of little holes made from grinding haha. I've yet to snap any of my matco impacts yet however.

Last edited by 03NHSilvy; 09-09-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

matco for tools, snap on for electronics.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by @nthony
matco for tools, snap on for electronics.
Snap on does make some killer scan tool and electronic stuff. But I have a lot of both brands...and I'm pleased with both. My 1/4" stuff is matco, my 3/8" stuff is snap on, and my 1/2" stuff is matco. I just recently broke my matco 1/4" ratchet...but I had a 3 foot pipe on the end trying to break loose a 12mm head bolt, so that's my dumb ***, not the tool.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

i don't like the way snap on does business so i usually buy from mac or just get it at a tool store down the road. all my electric tools are dewalt and most of my air tools are IR. I don't like snap on air tools they feel like **** in your hand too heavy and the trigger doesn't allow you to ease into it to turn a nut or bolt at a low speed when you are trying to just run bolts up and not tighten them and nothing snap on makes is more powerful than my 2135ti and the ones that are in the neighborhood are not worth the price tag.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have had both Matco and Snap on tools for around 20yrs now. In my opinion they are very close in terms of quality. There are some occasions where one might seem a little higher quality or easier to use. Bottom line they are both guaranteed for life. If they break or wear out they will be replaced. Go for the one that gives you a better deal in price. It's also very important to have a good repore with the tool guy. You'd be amazed at how much you can get (including free) if you and your tool guy see eye to eye. I used to have the best Snap on and Matco tools guys around. It was hard to choose when I needed a tool. Now that I moved, there are no Matco guys around and the Snap on guy is a real piece of work (don't like him at all). Needless to say I now am buying from MAC and Cornwell. All are professional quality tools.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Thank you for your detailed responses, would love to hear more. I will not maintain a truck account as I am not a professional mechanic. Right now I am leaning towards SnapOn for my drive tools as they seem to have a more complete set of ratchets and accessories for their drive tools. I do however like that Matco offers ratchets with 60 teeth.

I also intend to buy a set of long combinations wrenches. I will likely choose Matco simply because they are lowing in cost compared to Mac and SnapOn. Any opinions? I am almost considering the Craftsman professional combination wrenches, they seem to be high quality.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've had terrible luck with one matco ratchet. I wouldn't think the brand of ratchet and the socket need to match.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bird-Of-Prey
I have had both Matco and Snap on tools for around 20yrs now. In my opinion they are very close in terms of quality. There are some occasions where one might seem a little higher quality or easier to use. Bottom line they are both guaranteed for life. If they break or wear out they will be replaced. Go for the one that gives you a better deal in price. It's also very important to have a good repore with the tool guy. You'd be amazed at how much you can get (including free) if you and your tool guy see eye to eye. I used to have the best Snap on and Matco tools guys around. It was hard to choose when I needed a tool. Now that I moved, there are no Matco guys around and the Snap on guy is a real piece of work (don't like him at all). Needless to say I now am buying from MAC and Cornwell. All are professional quality tools.
Bird-of-Prey is right on the dot, it's all about your working relationship with the various tool trucks.

The first Mac guy was a dick, his replacement was OK, but the third one has the best deals and we get along well.

Because the first Mac guy was a dick I dealt exclusively with Snap-On and he would really take care of me.

My first Snap-On dealer was ready to retire and didn't need the money (or so he said) and he used to give ridiculous deals. Most of my stuff was from him. He always gave away those snap-on stickers by the handful. Hats, shirts, keychains, probably a hundred pocket screwdrivers

He retired cuz of health reasons and the replacement is younger so his deals are not that great.

There are no Matco or Cornwell trucks in my area.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Well like I said I am not a proffesional mechanic so it is unlikely that I will maintain a relationship with a particular distributor. However since I do intend to to spend several hundred dollars up front on my first purchase (sockets, rachtets, wrenches, etc) is it possible to contact the Truck/Distributor in my area, let him know I am on the fence between him and his competitors, and see what kind of price he will quote? I have just been searching prices online, I was not aware that the price is possibly negotiable through the distibutor. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by IROCAZ
is it possible to contact the Truck/Distributor in my area, let him know I am on the fence between him and his competitors, and see what kind of price he will quote?
Yes, you can:

http://snapon.com/customer_service/d...finder_pg1.asp

BTW... I have the Cman pro wrenches and they look an awful lot like their Matco bretheren to me....
Old 09-12-2006, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by IROCAZ
Well like I said I am not a proffesional mechanic so it is unlikely that I will maintain a relationship with a particular distributor. However since I do intend to to spend several hundred dollars up front on my first purchase (sockets, rachtets, wrenches, etc) is it possible to contact the Truck/Distributor in my area, let him know I am on the fence between him and his competitors, and see what kind of price he will quote? I have just been searching prices online, I was not aware that the price is possibly negotiable through the distibutor. Thanks.
Several hundred might get you 1 ratchet and 1 set of sockets from snap-on.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

All my tools are snap-on

Snap On rachets have a common problem that while breaking loose a very tight bolt or a bolt in aluminum the bolt tends to snap loose really quick. When doing so Snap ON tends to switch to the opposite direction some times hurting your knuckles.
Another thing is SNAP-ON wrenches have a sharper edge which really cuts into your hand
Old 09-12-2006, 08:22 PM
12 Second Club

about 96% of my tools are snap on. i like them all, the only thing ive broken is my magnet.

another thing to consider idk if you just want tools for the hobby or if you plan on working in a shop. but at the shop i worked in over the summer and at school the snap on guy is kinda hard to come buy, mine seem to stop by whenever they want, sometimes itll be 2 weeks sometimes 3 sometimes a month, you never know.

at my summer job the matco guy was there every other week no ifs ands or buts.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
All my tools are snap-on

Snap On rachets have a common problem that while breaking loose a very tight bolt or a bolt in aluminum the bolt tends to snap loose really quick. When doing so Snap ON tends to switch to the opposite direction some times hurting your knuckles.
Another thing is SNAP-ON wrenches have a sharper edge which really cuts into your hand
ive never had that problem, but ive only been using them a year.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

I agree with 03NHSilvy on the cut-off wheel. it helps a lot if u can direct sparks. also, i agree with the whole tool guy relationship deal. My snap-on guy is an ***, he comes and goes when he pleases as opposed to our matco guy, always cuttin us deals there every thursday at the same time. however, i am biased considering i have been using matco tools as long as ive been a mechanic. Like the other guy said tho...each brand has its ups and downs.

Me personally, like matcos wrenches, ratchets, and power tools. thats probably just because it what i am used to using. i have used snap-on and mac quite often tho. Mac's knuckle savers don't seem to amaze me too much and the squared off handles dig into my palms. i like the feel of matcos more. i DO like the MacEdge sockets tho, those things are cool. If i was rich i would have a little bit from each, its mostly on ur personal preference and relationshop with the seller. they r all quality tools tho.

as for impacts, I like matco only because of what i own. I currently go to Triton college so i get 50% off Mac/SO/Craftsman tools and 60% off Matco. Because of that i bought the titanium 1/2 impact from matco. they say its the lightest and most powerful and it is a beast. it amazed me whe i first got it. The only other impacts i can compare them to are some snap-on and craftsman ones but it isnt a fair contest really. if u get the best impact from mac, snap on, and matco im sure u will be impressed.

my two cents.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RiPPinZ11
Mac's knuckle savers don't seem to amaze me too much and the squared off handles dig into my palms. i like the feel of matcos more. i DO like the MacEdge sockets tho, those things are cool.
the mac knuckle savers I have I love for the reason of the fact that they are squared off they don't dig into my hands as bad as my craftsmans did. i love the mac edge stuff i have a set of metric and standard reversible ratcheting wrenches and that has to be by far the best open end wrench design ever! i've broke loose lines that even line wrenches slipped on with them they are really worth the money.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Id so no matter what, id rather have a snap on tool over any other
Old 09-14-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
All my tools are snap-on

Happened to me today. I was helping someone out trying to get at a bolt in a difficult spot so I just used his Snap on ratchet that he already was using. I slid a breaker bar over it to get some leverage and the damn thing acted like I broke it. Just spun free and when I looked sure enough it was switched to the opposite direction. My Matco is 10yrs old, never rebuilt and I put a bar over it for leverage almost on a daily basis. Not one problem ever. Still works like new. Even better as now it's broke in.

Quick Reply: QUALITY: Matco vs SnapOn