Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Is welding aluminum block possible ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1INSANEGTO
Just a FYI in order to weld alum the correct way you need a low freq tig welder. You can not just weld it with any tig welder. Yes you can 100% fix your problem but you have the have the right stuff
No, you need a high frequency tig welder. Not that their is anything as a low frequency welder. You have DC, AC, and AC with high frequency.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:42 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

+1

Old 01-27-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know it can be done, but i think it will require complete disassembly
Old 02-12-2007, 02:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

I’d be tempted to try one of the aluminum brazing products before trying to weld it up. The nice thing there is that you could thread the bolt in, start building up the braze on the outside and in theory should be able to back the bolt out of the hole having a perfect hole with perfect threads when you’re done, and in many cases the aluminum brazing products are stronger then your base metal.

Irrespective of how you fix it, I’d be very impressed if someone manages to do it while in the chassis, I have a hard enough time tigging aluminum when it’s flat on the table in front of me.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1INSANEGTO
Just a FYI in order to weld alum the correct way you need a low freq tig welder. You can not just weld it with any tig welder. Yes you can 100% fix your problem but you have the have the right stuff
Not sure what you mean here but I weld aluminum with my high freq tig all the time. All the high frequency does is generate a low current high voltage spark to bridge the gap between the electrode and the work piece to ionize the air to make starting the arc easier. The high frequency is superimposed onto the electrode and is not responsible for any heat (though I've heard some argue it contributes to cleaning action).

To the thread starter, I think a good welder can fix it just like new but I pity him if he is going to try to do it with the block in the car. If it were me, I would break it down to the bare block and preheat the whole block to 300-400 degrees or so before welding it to help relieve any internal stresses.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

While I agree with you speed…, the claim is that the newer, BIG inverter tigs can do a job like repairing blocks and heads without preheat without causing other problems. I’ll believe it when I see it.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's awesome if they can. I always thought the preheat was to keep the temp differentials between the work space and the rest of the work piece closer so there is less stress. Honestly, I'm a self-taught hack so I couldn't vouch one way or the other .
Old 03-01-2007, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

I didnt read all the post but I had the part welded on not to long ago.. Works great now..
Old 03-01-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default welding aluminum

JB Weld. I couldn't find anybody to weld a tiller block after I hooked a tree root and jumped it into a tree. Broke the block where the carb and gas tank bolt to. Autozone guy says try JB weld. $4 and its held for 3 years of pounding in my rock strewn Arkansas garden. I even drilled and threaded holes into it for mounting bolts. No problems. Just a last resort idea if you don't want to pull your block out or welding cost too high. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ment high freq tig sorry.

Quick Reply: Is welding aluminum block possible ?