Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Any HVAC techs in here?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any HVAC techs in here?

I need your opinion. I bought a home built in the late 50's. The outdoor central air unit looks like it is from the 80's at the latest. The fan is loud and it is very expensive to operate. My relative has a used unit that was manufactured in 1996. RHEEM MODEL RAKA024JAZ SEER 10 SINGLE PHASE. Would you replace the existing unit with the used unit? I have to check to make sure they are the same size as far as tons.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RAKA024JAZ The 024 is the size in BTUs. 24,000 BTUs is 2 tons. I put a used unit in my house once when mine went out on a Sunday. I had no problems with it, but I am a pro. If I did have problems, I wouldn't have had to pay myself to fix it. You can do a pumpdown test to check the valves if it is a reciprocating compressor, and a Megaohm test to check the motor winding insulation, and replace the capacitor(s) and contactor for peace of mind, but it is old enough to be quite a bit less efficient than the latest stuff. And if you get a higher-end new one, they are amazingly quiet.