Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Where to find a pipe expander?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 05:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to find a pipe expander?

The Hooker I just took off of my car has some pinched parts from the clamp and I would like to get them out before I sell it to someone. I thought I remembered someone saying I could find a pipe expander to rent at autozone, but I called them and they don't have them. Does anyone know where I can find one to rent?
Old 05-14-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

I know summit sells one, search around ebay. I bet you $1 you find something.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:38 PM
12 Second Club

Well, i would look there, but I don't want to actually buy one. I just want to rent one from someone. I thought maybe someone might know of some bigger chain store that rented them out (like I thought someone said about autozone).
Old 05-14-2007, 07:35 PM
12 Second Club

i think advance has them
Old 05-14-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autozone has them... Or should have them atleast. Person probably didnt know what they were doing. When I worked for AZ we had like 3 of both sizes of expanders.

Says it right on their website...Part numbers are:
27027 and 27028. One is smaller than the other.

So ask them to look up those part numbers and see what they say.

Justin
Old 05-14-2007, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

Harbor Freight sells them.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Schuck's will rent it to you. You have to pay full price for it then they will refund all but the rental fee when you return it.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...egorycode=3494
Old 05-14-2007, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, thanks guys. Hey ghettocruiser, I looked on autozone's website and searched the part numbers 27027 and 27028 but it didn't come up with anything. Am I doing something wrong?

What do you think they would say if I just walked into their store and asked them about them?
Old 05-14-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://autozone.com/in_our_stores/lo...e_expander.htm

The loaner tools are under the "in our stores" section. If you walk in there with those part numbers I garauntee you they will atleast be able to check their inventory. You can ignore the "OEM" in front of the other numbers. The numbers wont come up on the website search...well simply because the website kinda sucks. haha... However, if you poke around enough on that site, there is a ton of great info. Even things like wiring diagrams if you want.

If their store is set up properly, there should be placemats on the counters, or even signs hanging out with pictures of the rent-a-tools. They dont have the expanders on the floor last time I checked, they are only in the loaner tool selection. I find it VERY hard to believe that they wouldnt have some there. Even if someone rents one and doesnt bring it back, they get another one or two on the next stock truck.

The quality of the employees at those stores hasnt been the best. My store was awesome. I was manager for a few years. Had some really good guys that knew their stuff. A few of us got ASE certified. There was an advance 1 block up the street, and they werent doing good because we had such a good crew. But, I lost a couple guys, and all my district manager would hire were UTI/ATC kids. Who would basically just say "no we dont have it" if they didnt know what you needed. Case in point...

If the store is close, swing by and ask someone to check on those part numbers...or just ask someone outright. Someone in there has to know what they are doing. Or try one of the other places that the other guys mentioned above.

J.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:48 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, thanks very much. I'll even print out that page and show it to them. There are actually two autozone fairly close by anyway. Hopefully they will have it and I can fix this exhaust, get it out the door, and get myself a little extra money .

Thanks again.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

No problem. I do have a word of advice for you before you use those things tho... Even if you are just taking out the clamp marks, you should expand the tool past where you need it to be alittle bit, and lube the threads with antiseize if they dont already have it on there. It really does make a difference when you actually use it and put pressure on it.

They work pretty good. I took a golf ball sized dent out of the piece of pipe that I used on the end of my headers. Worked great.

Good luck!

Justin
Old 05-15-2007, 10:29 PM
12 Second Club

I went to autozone and they did have them, and I did use it on the pipes. It didn't completely remove the dents, but it did make it much better. Enough so that they easily slide over each other now, so it's all better now .

Thanks guys .
Old 05-16-2007, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good stuff... They wont make them 100% round again, but like you said, it makes it good enough. See autozone isnt a bad store, you just have to go in prepared to do their jobs for them Glad you got it done!

Justin

Quick Reply: Where to find a pipe expander?