Go Back   LS1TECH > LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE > Tools & Fabrication
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Looking For Mild Steel V-Band's...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
Staging Lane
 
Rompn's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 53
Send a message via AIM to Rompn
Question Looking For Mild Steel V-Band's...

I'm looking for a few v-bands to add into an exhaust I'm building and would prefer them to be mild steel or aluminized steel (if they even make them in that). I need them in 2.25" and also 3". Any ideas? I searched around for a little but only found them in stainless. Even then I didn't find any in the 2.25" size. Thanks!
__________________
Patrick
INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS
Rompn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
DudeBroBroBro
 
xfactor_pitbulls's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 16
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nevada, TX
Posts: 2,222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rompn
I'm looking for a few v-bands to add into an exhaust I'm building and would prefer them to be mild steel or aluminized steel (if they even make them in that). I need them in 2.25" and also 3". Any ideas? I searched around for a little but only found them in stainless. Even then I didn't find any in the 2.25" size. Thanks!
You are going to be hard pressed to find that. Look at it this way, if they were MS, they are going to rust, your options are to paint or coat. You can do the same to stainless. Please dont tell me its because of the price, because they are not that high.
__________________
2012 Duramax 3500 DRW Crew
xfactor_pitbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:42 PM   #3
TECH Addict
 
MikeGyver's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 5
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern Illlinois
Posts: 2,955
Default

This place has 'em:
http://www.spdexhaust.com/exhaust-fl...ecs.html#vband
__________________
I'll fix the install pictures soon.
2000 GMC Sierra 2500
408 Whipplecharged, Intercooled, AFR 205s, Vic Jr., 230-236 115 lsa cam, Stainless Works LTs, 102 mm Throttle, HP Tunnners
MikeGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:03 PM   #4
TECH Enthusiast
 
JPMuscle's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jamestown, NY
Posts: 680
Send a message via AIM to JPMuscle Send a message via MSN to JPMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to JPMuscle
Default

jus out of curiosity but what type of exhaust are you building that would require to use V Bands?
__________________
WHY WE FIGHT FOR OUR FREEDOM!! <<< CLICK LINK
God Bless America & our Troops
I Believe in 4 Things, God, Guns, George W Bush & FOX NEWS CHANNEL..

Heman's Women Hater Club #00029
94 Z28 TORCH RED - In Progress...Being Built By Alfred State Motorsports Tech
468 BBC - N20 - M6 - Back Halfed / 4 Linked - D60 - Shootin for 600+ RWHP off the Bottle
Founder -
JPM Engineering www.fquick.com/JPMuscle
JPMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
TECH Enthusiast
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 645
Default

What's the price the V-band kits?

Thanks.
Stampede4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
TECH Fanatic
 
ghettocruiser's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 12
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 1,724
Default

Summit...

The clamps are stainless, but the actual flanges are mild.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Says right in notes... "Weld-on rings are mild steel, the V-band clamps are stainless steel."

No 2.25" tho..only 3 and 2.5... I ordered them for my exhaust as well... I like the fact that they are easy to assemble once welded on, and they dont use gaskets. If they are good enough to hold high boost in a turbo application, they will work great on my exhaust...

Justin
__________________


**Under Construction**
ghettocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
Staging Lane
 
Rompn's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 53
Send a message via AIM to Rompn
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
You are going to be hard pressed to find that. Look at it this way, if they were MS, they are going to rust, your options are to paint or coat. You can do the same to stainless. Please dont tell me its because of the price, because they are not that high.
Well the rest of this exhaust system I'm building is aluminized steel so I was hoping to find a v-band in the same material. Price isn't an issue, was more curious than anything to see if anyone made them. Looks like no one does though so I'll have to pick up some stainless steel versions.
__________________
Patrick
INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS
Rompn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
Staging Lane
 
Rompn's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 53
Send a message via AIM to Rompn
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGyver
I looked around there and didn't see them in the correct material. You found them in alumined steel or mild steel?
__________________
Patrick
INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS
Rompn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:01 PM   #9
Staging Lane
 
Rompn's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 53
Send a message via AIM to Rompn
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMuscle
jus out of curiosity but what type of exhaust are you building that would require to use V Bands?
Actually, this exhaust is a custom front to back setup I'm building from scratch for my 79' Jeep Cherokee I just dropped a small block Chevy into. The way the crossmember is setup for the tranny/transfercase, it will require that I drop the crossmember to install or remove the exhaust. With two, 2.25" v-bands inline, I'll be able to remove it in pieces without dropping anything. The single 3" v-band I asked for earlier will be placed right after the merge collector where the muffler will bolt up to. That way I can build and try different muffler/tip setups from the merge collector back without hacking anything up. Don't know if it is worth justifing the cost of the flanges yet though. The system isn't anything special. Using aluminized, 16g mild steel tubing. 2.25" from each manifold merging to a single 3." Muffler is a Flowmaster 40 series and will have a single 3" exiting the muffler with about 36" of tubing and then a 3.5" tip. Later looking into building the same setup from the merge collector back but utilizing a bullet muffler instead of the Flowmaster muffler to see how I like it instead.
__________________
Patrick
INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS
Rompn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:02 PM   #10
Staging Lane
 
Rompn's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 53
Send a message via AIM to Rompn
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
What's the price the V-band kits?

Thanks.
What's the difference between just the clamps and the "kits"? It looks like you get about 3" of tubing with the kit yet the price is almost tripled. Has to be more to it than that. If I already have the tubing in place and all, I would just need the clamps themselves and nothing else, correct?
__________________
Patrick
INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS
Rompn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:04 PM   #11
Staging Lane
 
Rompn's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 53
Send a message via AIM to Rompn
Question

Also one last question... are all v-bands created equal with regards to quality? If not, which ones are a higher quality than others?
__________________
Patrick
INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS
Rompn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:18 PM   #12
TECH Addict
 
camaroextra's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 10
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seminole County, Florida
Posts: 2,803
Send a message via AIM to camaroextra
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMuscle
jus out of curiosity but what type of exhaust are you building that would require to use V Bands?
I wanna do some duals under the axle, and I want to put V bands right before the axle to be able to take them off pretty quick. Thats the only reason I can think to use them on a non turbo exhaust.
__________________
2002 Z28. Heads, Cam, 6 speed swap, Suspension, etc. 416hp 390ftlbs
camaroextra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:22 AM   #13
Staging Lane
 
Rompn's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 53
Send a message via AIM to Rompn
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroextra
I wanna do some duals under the axle, and I want to put V bands right before the axle to be able to take them off pretty quick. Thats the only reason I can think to use them on a non turbo exhaust.
That's my same reason as well.
__________________
Patrick
INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS
Rompn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:37 AM   #14
TECH Fanatic
 
ghettocruiser's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 12
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 1,724
Default

Im doing for the simple fact that I like to over do things. haha. If they are good enough to hold boost and use in turbo piping, they are good enough for my y-pipe and will hold my exhaust pressure without leaking and without a gasket.

The best place Ive foudn them is Summit....following the link I posted above. You might be able to find them a tad cheaper, but Summit only has a $10 handling fee, and they usually ship that same day. In most cases I get my parts next day without paying anything extra.

Ive seen the ones with alittle bit of pipe attached. I cant remember what company it was, but I called and they said it was for a picture reference only. The kit itself would come with only the flanges and no pipe. I WISH mine had pipe attached, because Im having a bitch of a time welding the mild rings to the stainless pipe. Im using a MIG... no tig welder and no 220 or else Ide rent one.

I just ordered some 309L wire...instead of using the 308 that I was trying to use. I hoping the 309 helps. Welding isnt a problem... a leak free weld is.

Justin
__________________


**Under Construction**
ghettocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:12 AM   #15
Staging Lane
 
Rompn's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 53
Send a message via AIM to Rompn
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Im doing for the simple fact that I like to over do things. haha. If they are good enough to hold boost and use in turbo piping, they are good enough for my y-pipe and will hold my exhaust pressure without leaking and without a gasket.

The best place Ive foudn them is Summit....following the link I posted above. You might be able to find them a tad cheaper, but Summit only has a $10 handling fee, and they usually ship that same day. In most cases I get my parts next day without paying anything extra.

Ive seen the ones with alittle bit of pipe attached. I cant remember what company it was, but I called and they said it was for a picture reference only. The kit itself would come with only the flanges and no pipe. I WISH mine had pipe attached, because Im having a bitch of a time welding the mild rings to the stainless pipe. Im using a MIG... no tig welder and no 220 or else Ide rent one.

I just ordered some 309L wire...instead of using the 308 that I was trying to use. I hoping the 309 helps. Welding isnt a problem... a leak free weld is.

Justin
Thanks for the info. I'm still looking around for v-bands myself. Trying to figure out which ones are good quality and which ones are not. I understand now about the pieces of tube and their purpose. Sounds like I should look into getting that style rather than just the v-band itself due to the fact that I'm using a MIG to put all this together as well. I would like to order these up today so I may give the ones in Summit or Jegs a try.
__________________
Patrick
INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS
Rompn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:31 AM   #16
TECH Fanatic
 
ghettocruiser's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 12
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 1,724
Default

The ones in summit and probably JEGS are from a company called dynatec. I talked to a guy in their tech dept. about the flanges and his info is what convinced me to go with them. They seemed like a good company and the flanges I got from them look great.

If you happen to find a company that sells them with the pipe already attached, let me know. My suspicion is that the price will be considerably higher than the $40 I paid for my kits. Only because of the process of welding the flanges to that piece of pipe. Its probably TIG welded and would infact kick the price up. Probably to around $70 or $80 if not more.

The problem I had with my welds, was after I was done, I taped off all the open parts of the header, sprayed soap water on the welds, and blew air from my mouth into the O2 sensor bung. I had leaks alll the way around the flange welds. Really ticked me off. I proceeded to try to reweld it. Still the same problem. Ground it down a good bit and rewelded it again...and well, after all that the damn flange was warped.

So I ordered another, and the new wire. I was using .030 wire thickness too...which probably wasnt helping. I ordered .023 309L wire and Im going to use the second half of the clamp that I ruined to practice. Im keeping my fingers crossed that I can sort through this because my entire exhaust plan (headers, y-pipe, cut out, catback) depends on it.

Justin
__________________


**Under Construction**
ghettocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:38 AM   #17
Staging Lane
 
Rompn's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 53
Send a message via AIM to Rompn
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
The ones in summit and probably JEGS are from a company called dynatec. I talked to a guy in their tech dept. about the flanges and his info is what convinced me to go with them. They seemed like a good company and the flanges I got from them look great.

If you happen to find a company that sells them with the pipe already attached, let me know. My suspicion is that the price will be considerably higher than the $40 I paid for my kits. Only because of the process of welding the flanges to that piece of pipe. Its probably TIG welded and would infact kick the price up. Probably to around $70 or $80 if not more.

The problem I had with my welds, was after I was done, I taped off all the open parts of the header, sprayed soap water on the welds, and blew air from my mouth into the O2 sensor bung. I had leaks alll the way around the flange welds. Really ticked me off. I proceeded to try to reweld it. Still the same problem. Ground it down a good bit and rewelded it again...and well, after all that the damn flange was warped.

So I ordered another, and the new wire. I was using .030 wire thickness too...which probably wasnt helping. I ordered .023 309L wire and Im going to use the second half of the clamp that I ruined to practice. Im keeping my fingers crossed that I can sort through this because my entire exhaust plan (headers, y-pipe, cut out, catback) depends on it.

Justin
Ya, from what I have read, the v-bands from Summit and such are from Dynatech. Don't know if that's good or bad. Anyway, I'm worried about the mild steel portion of these particluar v-bands because this exhaust will be on a Jeep that will be seeing lots of mud, dirt, sand and water. I'm thinking that portion of the v-band will rust up pretty quick and either cause a leak or prevent me from removing the v-band when needed due to the rust. I'm looking into something that is all stainless steel with the end tubes already welded on. So far I have found these through Burns Stainless. They even have them in the 2.25" size I was looking for as well. They are $84 a piece though.
__________________
Patrick
INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS
Rompn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:31 AM   #18
TECH Fanatic
 
ghettocruiser's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 12
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 1,724
Default

Yup...Burns is where I saw them... I remember the name now. I worried about the flanges rusting, but since they are CNC'd they should last alittle longer. Just due to not having pits and areas for moisture to collect.

I have a Jeep too, and made a custom exhaust out of all mild. Ive had it all submerged in water and mud almost up to the hood and the pipes are still in good condition. Just clean it off after you wheeling trip.

I asked about rust on those flanges when I talked to dynatech, and they said it wasnt really an issue. The guy told me I could tape off the sealing part of the flange, paint the back side of it, and that would help. Because the sealing sides fit so tight and flat against each other, that they dont easily rust. So Im going to hit all my weld areas and the back sides of those flanges with the highest temp paint I can find and just hope that it works out forever. haha.

Justin
__________________


**Under Construction**
ghettocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:45 AM   #19
Staging Lane
 
Rompn's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 53
Send a message via AIM to Rompn
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
I worried about the flanges rusting, but since they are CNC'd they should last alittle longer.
Justin
Are you sure that the ones from Dynatech (Summit/Jegs) are CNC'd and not just stamped?
__________________
Patrick
INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS
Rompn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:06 PM   #20
TECH Fanatic
 
ghettocruiser's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 12
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 1,724
Default

Well, Im positive they arent stamped. Cant say for sure on the process... I dont see how you could stamp a v-clamp flange... Thats the only way you could make sure the sealing surface was consistant. Either way...they are like a solid ring. Real shiny and smooth.

This is pretty close to what mine look like. But alittle different...

Click the image to open in full size.

J.
__________________


**Under Construction**
ghettocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:06 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(2) 2.25" stainless v-bands/flanges ls1curt Parts Classifieds 10 08-26-2014 05:44 PM
Any steel 2.5" Vbands with an oring out there? Forcefed86 Forced Induction 3 06-08-2014 05:33 AM
Any feedback on TiAL SS Garrett Housings? Rick_Vor Forced Induction 6 01-08-2010 09:10 PM
Coupling intercooler piping question, V-band Blown06 Forced Induction 15 11-26-2009 01:50 PM


Tags
023, 175, 309l, 4, band, burns, end, exhaust, kits, mig, mild, pipe, place, ss, stainless, steel, vband, vbands, weld, welding


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



Join Ls1Tech

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details