Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Electric Impact?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electric Impact?

Hey guys,

I'm looking into buying an Electric Impact wrench. But not to use it as an impact...

I put 3" studs all the way around, and I want to use this, or maybe even my cordless drill (?) to run the lug nuts on and off, and then go around and tighten them with my torque wrench

I want to use this, so when I'm at the track, or not near a compressor, I can use the cordless

what do you think? opinions? what are some of my options?

I want something on the cheap, with a battery that will last taking the tires on and off twice before a charge.

again, CHEAP since I'll only be using it for this...
Old 04-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
Hey guys,

I'm looking into buying an Electric Impact wrench. But not to use it as an impact...

I put 3" studs all the way around, and I want to use this, or maybe even my cordless drill (?) to run the lug nuts on and off, and then go around and tighten them with my torque wrench

I want to use this, so when I'm at the track, or not near a compressor, I can use the cordless

what do you think? opinions? what are some of my options?

I want something on the cheap, with a battery that will last taking the tires on and off twice before a charge.

again, CHEAP since I'll only be using it for this...
I would buy a Snap-On electric Impact. I used to have an 18v Matco and it had problems breaking lug nuts loose. I traded it in for a Snap-On and have yet to have any problems removing lug nuts when changing tires at the track...
Old 04-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

BTW, I only use mine at the track. I think you'll get what you pay for when it comes to electric impacts. Mine came with 2 batteries and I can use the same battery for several cars when at the track.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Snap-On 18vcordless impact has the highest torque rating and is a killer impact. The Milwaukee 28v is also a very good impact as well. I was in a pinch and bought a Jegs brand cordless impact that is pretty cheap and has a decent torque rating for the price. With it I still struggle with lugnuts at times. It serves the purpose for me, but If I was using it alot more I would just spend the money to get the Milwaukee or better yet the Snap On.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

well I figured I would use my new ginormous torque wrench to tighten/loosen the lugs

then just use the cheapo impact to run the lugs off instead of doing it by hand.

I know your not suppose to use a torque wrench to loosen things, but mine has a reverse option on it and is good to 200 ftlbs...so it should be plenty fine
Old 04-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Launching!

I've used the Snap-on for pit stops
it is the best battery impact I've used

I also have a Milwaukee 110v impact that works good too.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

pep boys has a goodyear 24v that is pretty good ($79-$99) not cheap but inexpensive compared to others mentioned.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

dont use a torque wrench to loosen things.
If you are gonna break them loose first I would get a craftsman or milwalki 3/8.
I have a 1/2 I/R that I use everyday and atthe track also
Old 05-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Launching!

I have a DeWalt 18v that I picked up used off the board here and its fine for what you describe, but it will not break lug nuts loose that are torqued to 100lbs. The battery will easily swap tires for 2 or 3 autox events, no problem. I carry a breaker bar to loosen and a torque wrench to tighten and use the gun to run them on and off for the same reason as you, long studs. Not what I had intended, when I bought the gun, but works just the same.

In comparison, my buddy has a Snap-On and that gun does it all no problems, not cheap though.

If all you want is to run lugs on and off, get a 3/8ths gun. And like others have stated, don't ruin your torque wrench by using it to loosen, not intended for that. In a pinch, maybe, but not on a consistent basis.

Update: I broke down and bought some impact sockets and now the gun is unstoppable. Used it on my 3/4 ton Dodge to change a flat and it had no trouble breaking loose all (6 or is it 8) lugs and torqued to 125ft/lbs. I guess lots of torque was being lost in the standard sockets, shame on me.

Chris

Last edited by 1QWIKBIRD; 06-21-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

I have a Snap On 1/2 Elec and love it.... I have used many others such as..... IR..(guns suck and batterys are even worse) Milwakee guns too big.. and cumbersome might have a problem with it reaching into the wheels....Dewalt is large as well but good quality... I'd look at Ebay theres used Impacts all over the place... Im not really surw why you'd not tighten the lugs with the impact and use the remove'em..... I've done it hundreds of times.. never any probs...
Old 05-11-2008, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

They are awesome at pick and pull places.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 18v Mildoggie

I have a full set of 18v Milwaukee cordless- I started with the impact for the junkyarding- great way to remove pinion nuts , carriers ect - little heavy but works good . My buddy got the 28v with the lithium batterys that last alot longer but IMO not worth the $ for me to upgrade - yet! also use the sawzall and circular saw and the hammer drill to death around the house - great investment -about 600$ for the kit and impact -I almost dont use my air compressor anymore even when rebuilding rear ends at home. just wish they had a 3/8 impact that works on same battery(takes a a 14.4v) dammit!
Old 05-18-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

I like the Snap-On 18vcordless its pretty impressive. At first i was skeptical.. and dissapointed with its weak sound. but it works great.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:28 PM
Launching!

I bought the new matco cordless impact and WOW! I got rid of my Snap-on. Battery charges faster and I can use it almost all night at the track...
Old 05-18-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

I Am a professional mechanic at a performance shop, and I will tell you right now my favorite tool is my 14.4 volt makita 3/8 impact its a bad bitch! I can torque a lug nut to 100ftlbs and it will break it loose. Don't spend all that money on snap on crap unless you have to their 18v is not that much better and its heavier...mine will do everything the snap on 3/8 elec. impact will do and it holds it charge longer. A guy at work has the snapon one and we did the pepsi challenge with the two and mine stood the test right with his except when his battery started running low he lot all power my had almost full capabilities untll about 30% life left on the batt.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

i got an 18 volt matco 1/2 inch impact it works great never any problems i think its capable of up to 350 ft lbs, and they also make a 3/8 model which is pretty strong too.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Just throw a 1/2" breaker bar in the hatch, and a cordless drill with a 3/8" chuck in it.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

i too have been looking into a cordless impact for the same reason. ive talked to the snap-on guy at work and there 18v is rated at 550 ft/lbs in reverse and 350 ft/lbs to tighten. mac,matco and makita will have cordless impacts within the same range to tighten. im not sure about loosening though but i think snap-on is the only brand to rate it that way.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmdale1984
Just throw a 1/2" breaker bar in the hatch, and a cordless drill with a 3/8" chuck in it.
im with him, if you want to do it cheap. I would just take my dewalt cordless drill, (puny little 12 volter) bust them loose with a breaker bar and finish them off with the drill. Then snug em up with the drill and finish with your breaker bar. There really is no in between in my eyes. I mean if you buy a cheap impact, your gonna have to re-torque them anyways. So your still in the same boat as you were with having just the drill. ITs either get a cheap drill or one you already have, or pony up and get a 500 dollar impact..(i dont know how much they really cost but im sure they are $$$)

FWIW, I also am a fan of makita ****. Ive used and abused lots of it, and it usually holds up. Milwaukee stuff is pretty good too.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

O.k. I have settled on the Makita 18V LXT system for the ratchet and the impact. Why don't they make a mechanics combo pack?.....

Quick Reply: Electric Impact?