Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

anybody here recommend a homedepot welder to do exhuast?

Old 06-18-2008, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody here recommend a homedepot welder to do exhuast?

hello does anybody here recommend a homedepot welder to do exhuast?Im getting my new exhaust and would like to do things myself as im going to place it in a specific way and dont have time to explain everything on how i want the exhaust to go on the car.Im really handy but need a recomendation if any of you guys own or have used or know if any of the welders that homedepot sells will help me weld up the exhaust without any problems,looking for the cheapest one ood engouh to do a good job.thanks
Old 06-18-2008, 10:51 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the cheap one from there first time through. Turns out that the MIG attachment was not compatible with that particular model. I got the one (not sure the model as I am not at home right now) that has the MIG hook-ups. Here is a picture if that helps. It is the Weld-Pack.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:52 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I should probably add that it does a killer job. Shielded that is.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

if you could get me some model numbers and a list of items to do the job and anything else you needed to do the job that would be great,im just going to do a true dual setup on the car.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:58 AM
9 Second Club

they will be sufficient to do exhaust work. just do yourself a favor and buy a welder that uses gas. the fluxcore wire makes a mess granted it will get the job done but i don't the results will be as good IMO
Old 06-19-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i weld with out the gas on my lincoln, dont have the PN on me right now. the welds arnt as clean as when i had the gas but it dosnt splatter everywhere like i used to before. i learned that i needed to bump up the heat to the next setting, speed the wire up alil more and move faster to get nicer welds without the splatter. it still splatters but i got it down to where it is only a inch if that away from where im welding. i built my turbo kit so i got to learn on that... should have started on smaller things but owell gotta learn somehow! i will get the PN when i go home. i got it a long time ago on ebay brand new with the warrenty and everything cheaper than the ones at homedepot SHIPED.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just saw this thread figured I'd toss up my reply.. .I did my whole TD exhaust and a bunch of other projects with an inexpensive Northern Tools 110v welder all using nothing but Flux Core too. it has the regulator and hose to convert to gas as well but have not converted mostly because I've had no reason too. If Flux Core its making a mess and spattering like crazy using flux core you may have forgotten to change the polarity. Flux Core is DCEN (gun is negative, clamp is positive)

Here is a pic of the welder sitting on the cart that I made myself as well.

I made the cart with a space to be able to convert to shielding gas if needed as well.
The only problem I had with the Northern tools welder was the wire spool was not turning smoothly so I put some Teflon pads under the spool and am now able to get it to feed super smoothly. Its a great welder for the garage.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

that's a great looking cart BTW, i still need to make one for mine as i lug mine around and i think it stretched my arm like 6 inches or somthing lol
Old 07-02-2008, 06:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just about any welder can do exhaust. I have a Campbell-Hausfeld MIG/Flux 105A (really like 85A) welder that I've used multiple times with flux core on exhaust. Never had an exhaust weld fail yet. It has the ability to attach a gas line, but I've never done it.

It got tucked in to a corner though. Got me a big boy now.

I'm keeping the little flux core jobby though. For example, had to weld up a bracket on the fence the other day. I don't have a 50' 220V extension cord, nor does MIG work all that well outside on a windy day (the fence was slapping around in the wind). The small welder did its job on a small bracket. Portability and flux do have their place, but were I to do it over again, I'd have gotten a bigger one instead of the little C-H.

If you do gas, expect to add about $250 to the price of the welder for the cylinder and the fill (for the cylinder like I have, anyway). And a decent auto darkening welding helmet is a nice bonus, but will cost... I had a Harbor Freight / Western Safety auto darkening model, and my eyes would hurt after using that thing. I got a Milller Pro-Hobby helmet (in that picture), and it's quite different. It doesn't strobe like the HF helmet did. Doesn't hurt my eyes at all.
Attached Thumbnails anybody here recommend a homedepot welder to do exhuast?-welder.jpg  
Old 07-02-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice Welder! that is my plan.. eventually I'll be picking up a nice 220v welder and keep the 110 around for flux core on those odd outdoor jobs on windy days and such.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

the lincoln 140C that i have works great I did my whole TD setup with it and fluxcore. not super clean but unless your a show car, IMO no one will ever see the bottom side of my car. Oh and its a 110v.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally, the more expensive a welder is, the better it welds thin material. The improved electronics give better control and higher speed without burn-through.
The cheapest ones work best on 3/32" to 3/16" material.
Miller's 350P, their highest output (some 400 amps) MIG that will run on single-phase, is their best for thin stuff.
The cheapest one to do a good job is the one that you can afford to spend the most money on.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol.. man The Miller 350p is a $4,000 welder... Nobody is going to even think about that as a First welder to fab up a TD exhaust in their garage at home. Regardless anyone could by the top of the line welder and it will still not compensate for a poor operator. Knowing what wire, wire thickness, speed, material, how well the material is prepped, and the operators skill have more to do with strong, quality looking welds than anything else.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the licond pro-MIG 135 I think it is. Build about 10 exhust systems, and some turbo DP and dumps. I few SFCs, LCA relo, and everything else around the house. Never had anything fail, but 1/4 is the max. I've used larger 220 units and I can tell there handle 1/4 steel beter. But the smaller is exatly what I need. With a 10# bottle its really nice to you can put it in a back seat and bring it to your buddys house. Dose everything I need, Im happy it was $399 I belive.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...n/P1010507.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...n/IMG_2558.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...n/IMG_1378.jpg

edit
I got it 00-02ish Prices have gone up and I dont see it listed anymore. But its on the site in the artical?
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowl...ldingtable.asp

Last edited by studderin; 07-04-2008 at 02:33 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anybody here recommend a homedepot welder to do exhuast?