User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

BUYER rating!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BUYER rating!

We should have the ability to rank someone on buyer status.... Nothing sucks worse than holding out on selling an item for someone who gives you their "word" per say on buying an item at a later time (within a week or so) but at the day, hour, minute or second they back out with some excuse or no response what so ever.

It would benefit the community greatly if there is someone who doesn't have the funds calling dibs or something alike and bailing out. Private sellers look to sell items, not be circle jerked. with the economy and rough times were faced with, we look forward to a quick sell agreed by both parties. users should be able to look at someones profile and see something like:

buyer rating
buyer transactions.

Users can post on someones rating/transactions stating what happened/didnt happen according to plans...

just an idea
Old 04-02-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Or just simply don't hold something for someone. Whoever gives you money first gets it.

There are sometimes legitimate reasons why a sale can't go through on the buyer's end.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

I could understand if there was an emergency of the sort. But some things (communicating with wife before putting a hold) can be avoided. Simply put: Dont inquire unless you have the cash to pay.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gringo dfw
Simply put: Dont inquire unless you have the cash to pay.
I have asked a guy to hold a cam for me for a couple days so I could get the money. He did and I paid. Not everyone will screw you.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually dont hold items for ppl saying that they have to wait a week or 2 to get the money. Usually who ever deposits the money first gets the item. If you hold the item for the person, then they back out, you may have lost 3 or 4 buyers who were willing to pay right then and there and now have to start the process all over again.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sell to the first person that gives you the money. No point in holding it for someone, "dibs" is a retarded idea. If we used it, I call dibs on the C6Z in the classifieds, now he just has to hold it for the next 5 or so years.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

This thread is stupid. Grow up. You wanna bad mouth a buyer bc you chose to hold an item? Its a free market, you dont owe the buyer anything. You wanted to seal the deal on an over-priced, no demand item so you held it pretending you were doing the buyer a favor but in reality you NEEDED him to come through and pay your asking price bc no one else would. Now you wanna bitch bc he wised up? Thats what happened didn't it? I could imagine it in my head. Sad
Old 04-06-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Or just simply don't hold something for someone. Whoever gives you money first gets it.
X2, in the end CASH IS KING, its stupid to hold something for someone unless you get a deposit. The few times I ever held item for anyone I always got some kind of deposit and created definite such as "10% deposit will get you one week to send the rest of the payment, upon full payment the item will be shipped, if full payment is not received within a week I keep the deposit."

Fact is as the seller you generally set the terms meaning if buyers dont like it they can go elsewhere, so make sure the terms don't screw you over.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
This thread is stupid. Grow up. You wanna bad mouth a buyer bc you chose to hold an item? Its a free market, you dont owe the buyer anything. You wanted to seal the deal on an over-priced, no demand item so you held it pretending you were doing the buyer a favor but in reality you NEEDED him to come through and pay your asking price bc no one else would. Now you wanna bitch bc he wised up? Thats what happened didn't it? I could imagine it in my head. Sad
+1, i couldnt have said it better.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gringo dfw
We should have the ability to rank someone on buyer status.... Nothing sucks worse than holding out on selling an item for someone who gives you their "word" per say on buying an item at a later time (within a week or so) but at the day, hour, minute or second they back out with some excuse or no response what so ever.

It would benefit the community greatly if there is someone who doesn't have the funds calling dibs or something alike and bailing out. Private sellers look to sell items, not be circle jerked. with the economy and rough times were faced with, we look forward to a quick sell agreed by both parties. users should be able to look at someones profile and see something like:

buyer rating
buyer transactions.

Users can post on someones rating/transactions stating what happened/didnt happen according to plans...

just an idea
You already have this ability. It's called iTrader. Look at your "Trader Rating" that is below your username.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tim94gt
You already have this ability. It's called iTrader. Look at your "Trader Rating" that is below your username.
That is suppose to be for when you buy or sell something, after the transaction occurs you rate it and give feedback. The OP is suggesting that if you put something up for sale and someone posts "I'll take it, but can't pay you for 2 days" and you wait the 2 days then he decides he doesn't want it that you should be able to leave negative feedback.
But everyone else is saying a simple solution is to not hold parts for people or if you do get some kind of deposit. But thats part of the nature of selling something, regardless of where you sell something weather it be here, craigslist, E bay, or in the newspaper, you are always going to have tire kickers, which is where the saying "Cash is king" comes from. Sure you have 10 people SAYING they will buy it $100, but Im here right now with $90 CASH IN HAND, most of the time they will take the 90
Old 04-11-2011, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bstuby
I usually dont hold items for ppl saying that they have to wait a week or 2 to get the money. Usually who ever deposits the money first gets the item. If you hold the item for the person, then they back out, you may have lost 3 or 4 buyers who were willing to pay right then and there and now have to start the process all over again.
I sell to whomever pays first. Everyone deals with tire kickers. It comes with the territory. I have held smaller items for a couple days but wouldn't hold and LS6 intake for longer than a day.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
That is suppose to be for when you buy or sell something, after the transaction occurs you rate it and give feedback. The OP is suggesting that if you put something up for sale and someone posts "I'll take it, but can't pay you for 2 days" and you wait the 2 days then he decides he doesn't want it that you should be able to leave negative feedback.
I know and I agree with him. If you commit to buying something then back out, I feel a Neg. Rating is warranted. Same goes for the seller, if He/She decides makes a deal then decides to sell to someone else. Obviously, there are some situations where the buyer or seller need to back out. In these cases, He/She should clearly explain why they couldn't follow through instead of "So and So has it for less" or "Sorry man, someone offered me more money" don't commit if you can't follow through.

There is also a a sub-forum here for Negative Feedback - https://ls1tech.com/forums/negative-trader-feedback-48/

But everyone else is saying a simple solution is to not hold parts for people or if you do get some kind of deposit.
That is simple but not a solution. Yes it prevents you from being screwed but leaves the problem for others to deal with. That is why the iTrader is there. It lets people know the "character" of the buyer/seller. If someone constantly backs out of deals, it should be known.

But thats part of the nature of selling something, regardless of where you sell something weather it be here, craigslist, E bay, or in the newspaper, you are always going to have tire kickers, which is where the saying "Cash is king" comes from. Sure you have 10 people SAYING they will buy it $100, but Im here right now with $90 CASH IN HAND, most of the time they will take the 90
I agree. I have yet to use the classifieds here but have a positive rating on a few other forums that I use. I always put a disclaimer in to "protect" myself. They're called "The Goose Rules" and I shamelessly stole them from another member of a different forum.

Originally Posted by The Goose Rules
First and foremost if you want something I am selling then say “I will take it”. I do not consider questions or inquiries as a commitment of any sort. Terms like “I am interested” mean nothing. The fact that we may be having a dialogue does not mean that I am waiting for you to make a decision. The person who steps up and says “I will take it, when do we meet” closes the deal.
• I expect you to read the ad. Every single time I sell anything I get at least one and usually multiple questions about something that is already stated in the ad. Yes it has a 5” barrel AS STATED IN THE FREAKIN” AD!
• I expect YOU to know that you want the item. I am not a store. Do your own research and visit a gun shop if you just want to handle a particular gun. And no I will not meet you at your club so you can try it out to see if you like it. Of course you get to inspect the gun before you buy it, but barring a mechanical or condition issue I expect you to buy it. If you are not sure then do not waste my time. I once met a prospective buyer at the range so that he could try out a revolver I was selling. After trying it out and BSing for more then an hour he simply said that it just did not fit his hand right. WTF!
• If you want to negotiate that is fine, but do not start out by telling me that my price is too high. This is not a good way to make friends and influence people. I have never made a dime on any private sale ever. In fact I routinely lose money and have often cut deals for a friend. I may be asking more then you want to pay, but the price is never too high. Also as stated in the first item above I do not consider negotiating a form of commitment. If you are in the process of offering less then I am asking and someone else says “I will take it” then you lose. Don’t bitch at me.
• I reserve the right to sell to whoever the hell I want. Having said that I scrupulously sell to the first person who makes a firm commitment. Provided that person does not **** me off. Such as demanding that the transaction take place that day, when it does not work for me. Also do not assume that just because you are the first person to post a reply on the forum that you are also the first person to contact me directly. Not everyone posts a reply, some folks just PM an “I will take it”. I am not obligated to justify anything to some guy I have never met who demands to know why he did not get the deal when he believes he was the first in line. You may also rest assured that if you take that tack that you will also not be first in line if the initial deal falls through.
• Do not ask me if it is MA compliant. Actually, feel free to ask me, but if you are depending upon my answer without doing your own research then you should not even be participating in a private transaction. Do your own damn research.
• Do not agree to a deal on line and then offer me less when we meet. If that happens the deal is over, no matter what. A deal is a deal. The time to negotiate is during the initial transaction, once the deal is made that’s it.
It applies more to firearms sales, but most of it still applies here.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Dude you are way off base. I know you "think" Itrader is a character indicator but its not, and won't ever be. You will never know the character of a buyer or seller. Its a feedback for transactions that have taken place. Anything more then that, that you make it, is your own personal issues coming out of the box. A buyer/seller can back out whenever they choose, there is NO binding contract. Thats the beauty of a free market. I always keep my word when buying or selling, but I absolutely do not expect everyone else to do the same.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Used to be " A Mans Word " was everything. No Contracts needed.

I still believe in the golden rule, but there are too many people trying to / taking advantage of less intelligent folks these days. Shouldn't be... but it is like a game for some and you better know how to play.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSCAMARO02LS1
Used to be " A Mans Word " was everything. No Contracts needed.

I still believe in the golden rule, but there are too many people trying to / taking advantage of less intelligent folks these days. Shouldn't be... but it is like a game for some and you better know how to play.
I agree 100% but the fact is there are ALOT of tire kickers out there. It happens alot on here as it does on craigslist, etc. If I put something up for sale that is over $100 and the guys asks for a week or two to pay, I don't see it unreasonable to ask for a non refundable deposit. Even if its just 10 bux it will weed through tire kickers and serious buyers. If he backs out I keep the deposit and lost some time. But either way it comes back to personal responsibility and risk management, a seller can steer away from these transactions if they choose. I know ive had people tell me several times "can you hold it" And I just tell them nicely, first one to pay me gets the part, so if you would like to check back when you have the funds I would be happy to sell you the part.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

Fully understood and agreed to.

Quick Reply: BUYER rating!