User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Attn mods:****SCAM ALERT****

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attn mods:****SCAM ALERT****

I am currently trying to purchase a used copy of HP Tuners Pro. Today I received a PM from a member that said he had one and provided a picture of it. Well the first thing that made me suspicious was that he only wanted 380.00 for it but he wouldn’t use PayPal. Then I noticed that his post count was zero. Registered this month and then I found the picture that he used in another post by ls1tech member ATLSS.

Here is the PM I received from ls1tech transamracer.

hey man i have a like new hptuners for sale, i purchased it about 4 months ago, so it is the latest software version (2.22), i purchased it thinking i could figure it out and tune my own car but i just dont have the time to mess with it anymore and need the money more than anything right now, i paid around $660 for it new so im gonna take a huge hit on it, i see that they are going for around 350-400 used so i would take $380 o.b.o. It does have 4 credits left on it, credits are $50 a peice if u purchase them through HPTuners and i think you need 2 credits to tune an LsX. This comes with everything that it came with from hptuners, you get EVERYTHING, inscruction booklet, software, cables, tuner box, orignal box, all the paperwork its all there even the orignal baggys everything came in lol. I do not have a paypal and will not use one i figured id let you know this upfront, local pickup would be prefered or i could drive a short distance to meet you, i can ship if you need me to that isnt a problem either we would just have to figure out a way to transfer the money. LMK what you decide.

ATLSS's thread
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...-wideband.html
Old 05-04-2011, 09:19 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Exclamation

This HAS to be Aaron Bean (scammer). One of his last IP's was VERY close to that one:

beanx
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=89125

He also had 4 other Usernames tagged to that IP 71.127.18.190:

cobraeater81
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=194928
https://ls1tech.com/forums/negative-...que-watch.html

neltrim2011
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=192890

speedracer9237
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=192491

twinturboZr1
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=194195

Thanks for reporting this,
Craig.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Nice work OP......
Old 05-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Is there anyone on ls1 tech that you can trust. I just got another one from a guy named cocacolalol. join date may 2011, 0 post. are you allowed to sell something on ls1tech with 0 post count?
Old 05-05-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

One forum I'm on makes the classifieds section not even visible to anyone until they have reached x number of posts. Since you have to have a certain number to post in there anyway (50 isn't it? I forget) maybe it should just be entirely hidden from people with not enough yet.

Would cut out the 0 post brand new scammers reading a FS or WTB thread in the first place.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Damn....you didn't give him any $ did you?
Old 05-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Teching In

No. but it is amazing how many scammers in the first two days.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
One forum I'm on makes the classifieds section not even visible to anyone until they have reached x number of posts. Since you have to have a certain number to post in there anyway (50 isn't it? I forget) maybe it should just be entirely hidden from people with not enough yet.

Would cut out the 0 post brand new scammers reading a FS or WTB thread in the first place.
This is how it should be. It's that way on A LOT of other car forums I'm on.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bridges
Is there anyone on ls1 tech that you can trust. I just got another one from a guy named cocacolalol. join date may 2011, 0 post. are you allowed to sell something on ls1tech with 0 post count?
Thats how its suppose to be but new members not meeting the criteria of posting in the classifieds can still look through the wanted to buy section and send PM's to memebers looking for certain items. To me your more likely to get scammed that way, but as with anything else there is only so much the mods can do to protect members, people need to ask themselves if the people there buying from looks legit. Odds are if you get a PM from someone like the OP did with a new join date and 0 posts its a scam
Old 05-06-2011, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Well I'm glad you didn't get taken bro.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Not a bad idea.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Kijiji and ebay and even the autotrader is littered with these lazy idiots.

Trying to steal your hard earned money.

Its hard to believe that so many people are just too effin lazy to actually earn money. Leeches of society. Dead weight.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:51 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

Not a bad idea.
Yes sir, not a bad idea at all...so be it. Registered Members (under 50 posts / 6mo) and Members Not Logged In (Visitors) will not see them. This includes the Regional and car specific Sales Sections.

~ Craig
Old 05-07-2011, 01:02 AM
Teching In

Heres the story.

I put on ls1tech.com WTB section that i wanted to buy 3" cut outs. I get a response from someone saying "i have two brand new cut outs that are 3 inches". They have everything and ill give them to you for $200 dollars.

I think too good to be true! so he sends me some pictures. I ask him to give me pictures that have his name and the date on a piece of paper. He then says he will only if i absolutely need it because his camera is at his girlfriends. Of course i say yes.

I then take the original picture he sent me which was this

and i google it.

I come across this...

http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60554

https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-cla...ket-200-a.html

Now I'm a little concerned... He then says oh i cant take paypal, i refuse to deal with them. I take cash, money order or western union.... Then he sends me this.....

I told him he could keep his cut outs.... He then says "Uh ok...."

Worst Shop i have ever seen in my life. PLUS look at the cut out.... The holes are way different then the original pics lol you think they wouldn't make it so damn obvious

yep bluegoat10... post count 0, created may 6th 2011. You have been found!
Old 05-07-2011, 01:14 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely hip to the no viewing idea, it could stop a lot of headaches.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:48 AM
Teching In

After being a member of numerous other forums,I agree with what you guys are saying
100%. But for the guys that are habitual "lurkers", and curise the site to learn more so then post, this rule really bites..:-D. I bet this will slow down alot of traffic through the site. For the past 3 years I've been scouring the for sale section trying to gather all parts for the swap. Now when the thing is finally about 60% into the swap, the for sale section on the great "LS1Tech" is no longer viewable to me...sad baby jesus..:-(.

Edit: I would suggest that maybe the "wanted" section be available for less then 50 posts, and let those who are searching post a new thread....but that wouldn't do much to help the problem, now would it. I hate how D-bag's screw up every thing good.

Last edited by sbcregal; 05-07-2011 at 02:55 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:38 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by CRAGER
Yes sir, not a bad idea at all...so be it. Registered Members (under 50 posts / 6mo) and Members Not Logged In (Visitors) will not see them. This includes the Regional and car specific Sales Sections.

~ Craig
An excellent update CRAGER!

Originally Posted by sbcregal
But for the guys that are habitual "lurkers", and curise the site to learn more so then post, this rule really bites..:-D. I bet this will slow down alot of traffic through the site. For the past 3 years I've been scouring the for sale section trying to gather all parts for the swap.
If the "traffic" that it slows down is scammers that just want to take advantage of people through the classifieds section, then I openly welcome the slow down. We don't need those people here.

If you had signed up 3 years ago, then you would have long since met the 6 month requirement, even if you didn't have 50 posts.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with this 100%,gonna save alot of headaches and heartaches down the road,sure youre gonna get the new guys coming in here bitchin and moaning about it but theyll just have to get over it and realize its here to protect them too later down the road
Old 05-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Teching In

I understand that I don't have alot of post either. I like to use the search button and don't use the forum as a chat service, but that's just me. I have been a member for two years and have like 10 post. I bought a used hp tuners from graham@nitrousoutlet. real nice guy. He had been burned by someone else on here before. I asked him to give me a call and we worked out a deal.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by CRAGER

~ Craig
Kick ***

Quick Reply: Attn mods:****SCAM ALERT****