User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

The reason why SEARCH is broken!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The reason why SEARCH is broken!

I've brought this up before in the past, but it still seems to be broken. The reason everyone jumps to say is because the main search button automatically sorts results by DATE POSTED, not by RELEVANCY. If you go to Search and then Advanced Search and change the RESULTS SORT to RELEVANCY you get ACTUAL results. People see the new search bar up top and don't know they are only seeing results in the date posted.

For example, I just typed in "engine tick" in the results bar, and got nothing. I went to Advanced Search and sorted by Relevancy and search again, BOOM a page full of results.

If you want people to actually stop posting the same thread over and over and over, I believe that somehow that main search bar on the page has to be changed to RELEVANCY. Just because information is a few years old does not mean it isn't relevant anymore..

My 2 cents. Opinions?
Old 06-19-2013, 06:49 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm going to bump this, because I read several threads today with people saying "I searched but found nothing".

Admins, change the DEFAULT search method to RELEVANCY and we will have far fewer repeat threads and less hassle.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

+1 to this ^^^^

Can't believe I never noticed that.....FNG lol
Old 06-19-2013, 08:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Seems like a good idea to me. I'm not sure if this would be an Admin or IB task though, perhaps JeremyT could answer that?

I agree that relevancy would be a better default. In some cases, old information is in fact outdated, but then there would always be the option for a user to change the sort to "date" instead.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never do a search without switching to Relevancy first. It would be very nice if it was the default so I wouldn't have to switch it every time
Old 06-20-2013, 03:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by udienow
I never do a search without switching to Relevancy first. It would be very nice if it was the default so I wouldn't have to switch it every time
This.

I miss the days of just typing in a search term and getting results without having to do all the BS just to get results...

Unrelated but I also hate how Google is now. Before I could type in what I wanted to find and bam 5 options popped up with a link you coud click for even more topics. Now you only get those first 5
Old 06-20-2013, 05:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
This.

I miss the days of just typing in a search term and getting results without having to do all the BS just to get results...

Unrelated but I also hate how Google is now. Before I could type in what I wanted to find and bam 5 options popped up with a link you coud click for even more topics. Now you only get those first 5
+1 on the Google issue!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That feature for some reason got removed, as well as the ability to see the instant preview and some people even report not being able to search absolute terms so they are stuck sifting through pages of synonyms. There have been lots of complaints to Google about these issues but at this time they do not plan to bring any of them back for some reason???

However, you can still basically get the same results.

Use to when you would click more results from this page all it would is research what ever was typed in the bar again the with the site search feature used. Just remember to use site:ls1tech.com before your search term and you'll be fine.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Actually the way I've been searching on here most often is in my Firefox Google search bar.. You begin the search with "site:ls1tech.com " without the parenthesis and it always works pretty good for me
Old 06-20-2013, 01:07 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the beef I have with searching by relevancy only: the search feature uses whatever algorithm it does to determine just how relevant a thread/post is, and puts them in some random order that doesn't seem to pay much attention to the date. A lot of people don't pay attention to the dates, and end up bumping a thread that was started back in 2002, mucking up the sub forums until it finds its way back into obscurity.

Whenever I search, I tend to have the best results by sorting the results by date in descending order...that way, the newest info comes up first, which IMO also tends to be the most relevant. Unless you want Grot headers or your heads/cam combo from MTI or something...then by all means.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Here's the beef I have with searching by relevancy only: the search feature uses whatever algorithm it does to determine just how relevant a thread/post is, and puts them in some random order that doesn't seem to pay much attention to the date. A lot of people don't pay attention to the dates, and end up bumping a thread that was started back in 2002, mucking up the sub forums until it finds its way back into obscurity.

Whenever I search, I tend to have the best results by sorting the results by date in descending order...that way, the newest info comes up first, which IMO also tends to be the most relevant. Unless you want Grot headers or your heads/cam combo from MTI or something...then by all means.
It would be nice if it could search by relevancy first, then by date second....at least there would be some sort of order to the dates then. Or if you change it to sort by date first (which definitely makes sense when you're talking about certain modifications - not as much when it comes to maintenance and general repairs though), then relevancy should be second.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

When searching and manually setting by relevancy, are you using the Advanced Search feature? If so, you can save those preferences as default by making the changes and then clicking on Save Search Preferences' Go button:
Attached Thumbnails The reason why SEARCH is broken!-ls1techsearchpreference.jpg  
Old 06-23-2013, 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes, I'm aware of that JeremyT, and I have MY search saved as Relevancy. But there's TONS of users who will never read this. They see that default search bar that's on the main page of the forum which defaults to Last Posting Date. Which leads to people saying "I searched and got nothing"
Old 06-27-2013, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Yes, I'm aware of that JeremyT, and I have MY search saved as Relevancy. But there's TONS of users who will never read this. They see that default search bar that's on the main page of the forum which defaults to Last Posting Date. Which leads to people saying "I searched and got nothing"
Very very true, hell had I not posted a thread in this section I never wouldve seen this myself
Old 07-09-2013, 09:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

Just a note from a somewhat long time member. Search is very useful but far from perfect. I have found many things but I would give it a grade of 'C' overall. It isn't just this site but from every car forum site out there, and I've belonged to many. There are many facets that need serious improvement and perhaps in time these advances will be made.
It does get frustrating. Just yesterday I was looking for 'roller' prices in the 'What's It Worth' section. There have been numerous posts about this topic and definitely in that section. I wanted to see some posts without scrolling through many pages. I typed in 'roller' only and just for the "What's It Worth' section, not any other category. I didn't want to scroll through those either. The results were 'nothing found'. Certainly not a good experience using 'advanced' search. I always blame my computer or myself for not doing it 'right' but I do find many other things that I look for. I would consider myself an 'average' computer user so the results will be the same for many other users as well.
I do appreciate all the work that must go on behind the scenes. I have no idea how you moderators and creators can deal with this. Your brains and patience exceed anything I could be capable of.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Just a note from a somewhat long time member. Search is very useful but far from perfect. I have found many things but I would give it a grade of 'C' overall. It isn't just this site but from every car forum site out there, and I've belonged to many. There are many facets that need serious improvement and perhaps in time these advances will be made.
It does get frustrating. Just yesterday I was looking for 'roller' prices in the 'What's It Worth' section. There have been numerous posts about this topic and definitely in that section. I wanted to see some posts without scrolling through many pages. I typed in 'roller' only and just for the "What's It Worth' section, not any other category. I didn't want to scroll through those either. The results were 'nothing found'. Certainly not a good experience using 'advanced' search. I always blame my computer or myself for not doing it 'right' but I do find many other things that I look for. I would consider myself an 'average' computer user so the results will be the same for many other users as well.
I do appreciate all the work that must go on behind the scenes. I have no idea how you moderators and creators can deal with this. Your brains and patience exceed anything I could be capable of.
It'll never be perfect, but good, constructive feedback like what you just posted can certainly help steer this ship in the right direction. It's just nice to see something other than "search sucks donkey *****...fix it".
Old 07-09-2013, 02:42 PM

If the web app functionality works, "saving" your search preferences once you change to sort by relevancy should do the trick.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:51 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I just did a search for "roller" in the What's It Worth section and got a few hundred results.

LS1Tech is using an advanced search setup. Sometimes the "No Results Found" is displayed despite there should be results. In those cases, it's usually due to a temporary issue with the system that needs addressed.

Edit: I just looked through some of the system notes and there was a temporary issue with the search around July 9th and so that may have been why you didn't get the expected results.

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Old 07-12-2013, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

Thank you JeremyT. Just bad timing on this end. I feel bad about complaining now. I'll change my grade to a B.

Quick Reply: The reason why SEARCH is broken!