User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

question about new members/sale section access

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default question about new members/sale section access

I am a member on a few other forums and I fully understand and appreciate being protective against scammers. I also understand and appreciate the 6 month/50 post rule required for posting in the sales section. although with one exception.

I understand how people can be scammed by newcomers selling stuff, but I don't quite understand how someone can scam someone else by looking to buy something. If you are offering x part for x $, and I agree to your terms, how can the seller be scammed?

I am outfitting my 70Z with an LS engine and joined this site to learn more about the LS platform. I also am looking for some parts for this transition. I was wanting to post up about a part that I am looking for. Where is the potential harm?

I am certainly not trying to change the rules or get any special treatment, just wanting to understand the philosophy behind this part of the rule...

thanks.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by lowcountry
I understand how people can be scammed by newcomers selling stuff, but I don't quite understand how someone can scam someone else by looking to buy something. If you are offering x part for x $, and I agree to your terms, how can the seller be scammed?
There is no way for us to know ahead of time if someone plans to post an item for sale, or simply wants to respond to an ad that's already posted. Since we can't know this, and we don't have time to delete every "for sale" ad that a given new member might post, the reasonable solution is to limit posting access in the classified areas to tenured members only.

Having said that, we do have a PM system that can be used to contact members with items for sale, assuming they have their PMs turned on. At that point, it's up to an individual member whether or not they wish to do business with a new member. If you are offering to buy an item they are selling, and offer to pay up front, then yes there is little harm of them being scammed. However, brand new members who use the PM system in an attempt to sell parts to established members are often scammers, and if there are multiple reports of this then said new member may be banned.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 05-21-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the explanation. I suppose I should not be surprised that this rule like so many in our society is imposed to stagnate 99% of the people because of the 1% who can't play nice - kind of like 4 way stop signs on two country roads crossing each other in the middle of nowhere.

Your alternative solution, "Having said that, we do have a PM system that can be used to contact members..." doesn't really help those who want to post a "WTB" post, as sending pm's to all potential respondents is not practical.

That's cool. I understand. I'll just hang out and try to mingle...

Off the subject, if anyone out there has a set of 2014/2015 Z28 engine covers they want to sell, I'm all over it...

thanks.

Quick Reply: question about new members/sale section access