User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

My Recent Posts option

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Recent Posts option

What happened to the "My Recent Posts" tab or whatever it was called?

Not only that, but whatever changes IBIT is making to the site, is making surfing on the normal site view on mobile nearly impossible. Been here for years, and this place is just awful to view anymore.

It used to be in this area...

Name:  ls1tech_zpshvci5yvm.png
Views: 54
Size:  240.7 KB
Old 08-03-2015, 06:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

There's such a menu in the drop-down menu of the global navbar as shown in the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails My Recent Posts option-ls1techglobalnavbar.jpg  
Old 08-03-2015, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you!
Old 08-04-2015, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just to make myself feel like I'm not going crazy.... there was a tab there before, correct?

I've realized using that global drop down on the phone is a major PITA. The site used to work perfect on any phone.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:44 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi-Po
Just to make myself feel like I'm not going crazy.... there was a tab there before, correct?
Yes, this is correct. There have apparently been some changes recently in this regard.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've noticed viewing on mobile has changed tremendously. You go to click on something and the page will jump and you'll accidentally click on something else. In all the years viewing this forum, never had that problem.

Are they attempting to make viewing the website through the non-mobile version as painful as possible, in hopes that it will sway the end user into using the mobile version? If so, they are doing a bang up job!
Old 08-04-2015, 11:46 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I don't have any experience with the mobile concerns because I don't access the internet from any mobile device, ever. But the standard version on my desktop sometimes has those page jumps when a page first loads too.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad I found this post. I couldn't live without the "my recent posts" button!
Old 08-27-2015, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BennyB
That's the thing... the resolve that has been stated does nearly nothing when viewing from a non desk top position. You need to be able to "Hover" over the Global Nav in order to easily pick a selection. Simply clicking the Global Nav tab (on mobile) brings you to the unwanted Member Profile.

I've attempted to form a hypothesis on why the IB crew decided to remove what seems to me, a valuable site maneuvering tool... to no avail.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BennyB
+1 on that. I was just about to post a new thread about this until I seen this one. My recent post is a great feature. It should still be on the regular bar it use to be on IMO.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I don't have any experience with the mobile concerns because I don't access the internet from any mobile device, ever. But the standard version on my desktop sometimes has those page jumps when a page first loads too.
I wonder if what you experience is the shortcut to the first unread post (for you) in a thread that is full of images. When you click the next to a thread title, the browser directs you to the first unread post in that thread. But if that thread has a lot of images that have to load, the page layout changes while the browser continues to try and direct the browser to the correct spot in the thread. That's going to be how browsers simply render/draw pages.

That's the thing... the resolve that has been stated does nearly nothing when viewing from a non desk top position. You need to be able to "Hover" over the Global Nav in order to easily pick a selection. Simply clicking the Global Nav tab (on mobile) brings you to the unwanted Member Profile.

I've attempted to form a hypothesis on why the IB crew decided to remove what seems to me, a valuable site maneuvering tool... to no avail.
The reason why was a global project to unify/standardized the layout while also trying to de-cluttered the nav bar that can only hold so much content.

Trying to use a mobile device for a layout that is designed for desktops can result in these oddities. There's a reason why there is mobile apps and skins for websites and why Google gives better ranks for website that have mobile skins - because a mobile device can't always render a desktop-designed website without issues.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeremyT

The reason why was a global project to unify/standardized the layout while also trying to de-cluttered the nav bar that can only hold so much content.
With that logic, the "Calendar", "Timeslips" and "Used Cars" take priority over easily searching your recent posts? I have never used any of the tabs in all the time I have been here.

The reason of, "De-cluttering" doesn't make sense, when the site has had these useless tabs that I'm willing to bet, no one uses. I have a calendar in the bottom right hand corner of my screen, its always there. I also never strive to read an endless page of time slips, that are not accurate... 1st place is an astonishing .001 60 foot and a blistering .003 1/4 mile at 21,000 MPH! With that kind of competition, I may give this sport up all together! Also, I just visited the "Used Cars" tab... what the heck is going on there? Is that thing a complete disaster as well or am I missing something? This isn't going to be the next Autotrader. Carry on... it's your website after all and I pay exactly nothing to be here.

I would have responded to this sooner, but I didn't see it in My Recent Posts
Old 01-03-2016, 05:52 PM

While not everyone is going to like or agree with the change, I gave the explanation behind the change. I understand some will debate it because not everyone uses the site the same way or uses the same features the same amount. It is nearly impossible to make any change that won't come with some pros and cons.

I'm not sure I implied priority, but again, it was part of an re-organization and de-clutter. The nav bar can only hold so much content. Stuff has to go somewhere.

My Recent Posts was not part of the core software - unlike the Calendar. The My Recent Posts was a "3rd party" add-on and came well after the Calendar. The Calendar, part of the core software, was intended for posting events to share with the community and so it's not an online calendar version to your computer. Regarding the accuracy of the timeslips, which is community supplied and is beyond the scope of this thread, some might find them of use.

I should note that I didn't make the decision or change. I gave the reason behind it. To me, I view the Calendar, Timeslips, Vendor Directory, iTrader, etc., as part of the community's content while the "My Recent Posts" is specific to me - which is under my menu - where other functions specific to my account are located.

The feature is still there and hasn't been taken away!

With that logic, the "Calendar", "Timeslips" and "Used Cars" take priority over easily searching your recent posts? I have never used any of the tabs in all the time I have been here.

The reason of, "De-cluttering" doesn't make sense, when the site has had these useless tabs that I'm willing to bet, no one uses. I have a calendar in the bottom right hand corner of my screen, its always there. I also never strive to read an endless page of time slips, that are not accurate... 1st place is an astonishing .001 60 foot and a blistering .003 1/4 mile at 21,000 MPH! With that kind of competition, I may give this sport up all together! Also, I just visited the "Used Cars" tab... what the heck is going on there? Is that thing a complete disaster as well or am I missing something? This isn't going to be the next Autotrader. Carry on... it's your website after all and I pay exactly nothing to be here.

I would have responded to this sooner, but I didn't see it in My Recent Posts

Last edited by JeremyT; 01-03-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I would like to mark a date on the calendar to be the first guy to make a .002 1/4 mile pass at 26,000 MPH, then I will be selling this car under the Used Cars tab. Be on the look out.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:18 PM

I could be wrong, as I believe it dates both of our memberships here, but the Timeslip database came prior to 2005 by the original founders and members of LS1Tech. This wasn't something Internet Brands added but apparently was something the community wanted.

Again, some members use and prefer different features/sections to others. If the timeslip database is being abused, it might be good to report the issue in a different thread so that Administration can review and make appropriate decisions.

Well, I would like to mark a date on the calendar to be the first guy to make a .002 1/4 mile pass at 26,000 MPH, then I will be selling this car under the Used Cars tab. Be on the look out.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I could be wrong, as I believe it dates both of our memberships here, but the Timeslip database came prior to 2005 by the original founders and members of LS1Tech. This wasn't something Internet Brands added but apparently was something the community wanted.

Again, some members use and prefer different features/sections to others. If the timeslip database is being abused, it might be good to report the issue in a different thread so that Administration can review and make appropriate decisions.
I'm sure it was started with the best of intentions before you and I, obviously; it isn't kept up on... and who would want to keep on something so time consuming? I'm not going to go harp some unpaid Admin to make sure 'Tech gets the time slips correct... nonetheless, the point was made.

The Used Cars tab has not been addressed by you.

All of this was intended to point out the fact that there are certainly more deserving tabs to be axed. Tabs that are not useful, or at least; less useful then the tab in question. Just struck me as an odd tab to get rid of, when there are others that, in my opinion, are used by the members far less. I could be wrong, and the data on your end shows that the number of clicks for Used Cars and people wanting to know what's going on in the LS1Tech Calendar far exceed the number of users who found the My Recent Posts tab useful.

It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. Either way, I do not mean to start any problems... started this thread to find out why, and that was answered.

Thank you.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:47 PM

I want to keep pointing out that it wasn't axed. It was relocated. Prior to the Global Navbar, which is where the My Recent Posts and other user settings are now located, there was no other place to put those links besides the original (horizontal) navbar. That original (horizontal) navbar has limited space and got cluttered with links over the 10+ years.

To be honest, even if you got rid of the Timeslips and/or Calendar I don't think that would mean the My Recent Topics would go back there from its current location because, again, this was about de-clutter *and* re-organization. While I didn't make the decision or change, my view is the community-based content links are still on the original horizontal nav bar while the links specific to me are in my Global Nav bar. This is the theme Internet Brands has been applying to most of their communities like LS1Tech for more universal layout between sites.

You're right that I haven't addressed the Used Cars because I can't at this moment. Internet Brands has a few people and departments and even more websites like LS1Tech. I don't know every single detail and that's why I can't address any of your comments about the Used Cars section at this moment.

I'm sure it was started with the best of intentions before you and I, obviously; it isn't kept up on... and who would want to keep on something so time consuming? I'm not going to go harp some unpaid Admin to make sure 'Tech gets the time slips correct... nonetheless, the point was made.

The Used Cars tab has not been addressed by you.

All of this was intended to point out the fact that there are certainly more deserving tabs to be axed. Tabs that are not useful, or at least; less useful then the tab in question. Just struck me as an odd tab to get rid of, when there are others that, in my opinion, are used by the members far less. I could be wrong, and the data on your end shows that the number of clicks for Used Cars and people wanting to know what's going on in the LS1Tech Calendar far exceed the number of users who found the My Recent Posts tab useful.

It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. Either way, I do not mean to start any problems... started this thread to find out why, and that was answered.

Thank you.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want to keep pointing out that it wasn't axed. It was relocated. Prior to the Global Navbar, which is where the My Recent Posts and other user settings are now located, there was no other place to put those links besides the original (horizontal) navbar. That original (horizontal) navbar has limited space and got cluttered with links over the 10+ years.

To be honest, even if you got rid of the Timeslips and/or Calendar I don't think that would mean the My Recent Topics would go back there from its current location because, again, this was about de-clutter *and* re-organization. While I didn't make the decision or change, my view is the community-based content links are still on the original horizontal nav bar while the links specific to me are in my Global Nav bar. This is the theme Internet Brands has been applying to most of their communities like LS1Tech for more universal layout between sites.

You're right that I haven't addressed the Used Cars because I can't at this moment. Internet Brands has a few people and departments and even more websites like LS1Tech. I don't know every single detail and that's why I can't address any of your comments about the Used Cars section at this moment.
Yes, and I would like to keep pointing out that it was relocated to an area that makes it nearly impossible to use when viewing on any device without a standard mouse. Like stated above and you are well aware, you must hover over the Global Navbar to successfully bring up the option to click on My Recent Posts. Some, if not most, like enjoying this great site without the aid of the Mobile View when on our mobile devices. This renders the reassigned My Recent Posts tab useless to anyone not viewing on a Desk top. You agree?

If this truly was about de-cluttering and re-organizing, surely the useless tabs, whether that be one (the unexplained Used Cars tab for example) or multiple (Calendar, Un-updated or regulated Time Slips or even iTrader) would be "reassigned" to the Global Navbar. Why not put everything under the Navbar and have everything neat and tidy?

There are still some unanswered questions that are quite amusing. Surely the IB re-organization team looked at the Used Cars and Time Slips and concluded that they were not useful, or as useful, as the My Recent Posts.... no?

Which has me circling back to the question with no real answer... you can't say it was reorganization without indicating the team dedicated to such task as may be... incompetent... because even you have (in a way) admitted that the Time Slips and the Used Cars tabs are fairly useless in their current state.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

This discussion is just going in circles at this point. JeremyT has answered the questions to the best of his ability, whether you like the answers or not, and I can't see anything useful coming from further beating of this dead horse. This change was made a while ago, so far there has been little concern regarding the relocation of this feature.

In any event, the concerns have been noted in this thread, so if there is an opportunity at some point to make that feature more user-friendly for the mobile users (such as moving it back to the header toolbar - if possible) I'm sure JeremyT can make mention of this to the right people. I'm not sure what more anyone can hope to accomplish at this moment, so no need to keep arguing about it.

Quick Reply: My Recent Posts option