User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Not counting post

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 10:48 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not counting post

For some reason when I post something it wont count me post. Every once in a while it will count one or two of them. It just started doing this a couple of days ago and I was wondering what could be causing this.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Whistlin00
For some reason when I post something it wont count me post. Every once in a while it will count one or two of them. It just started doing this a couple of days ago and I was wondering what could be causing this.
exteme postwhoring post depletion option used by the mods
Old 08-23-2004, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Not sure. I'll look into it. One possibility is that you posted in a thread that got deleted but I don't think any have been deleted recently by us.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:51 AM
14 Second Truck Club

i deleted it....

them mods are CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2004, 12:51 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by ILLNALI
exteme postwhoring post depletion option used by the mods
actually i think this is true....
Old 08-24-2004, 09:06 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you posting and then re-posting within the same thread?
Old 08-24-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

It will subrtact the threads that you delete a post in or if a thread gets deleted.

I'll copy this to the Site area so the admins will see this. I'll post a link when I'm done.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:22 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Thanks Flyer
Old 08-24-2004, 01:47 PM
Adkoonerstrator

https://ls1tech.com/forums/removed-locked-thread-graveyard/208057-posts-do-not-count-some-forums.html
Old 08-24-2004, 01:54 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Why do you guys care about your post count so much? Like it matters
Old 08-24-2004, 02:22 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Sure got a lot of posts there Tony.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:39 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Why do you guys care about your post count so much? Like it matters
It's kind of like an unofficial badge of honor and/or status symbol. I know that sounds silly but it is true. It also is a way for people to show dedication to this forum. The number of posts that you have is a barometer of the amount of time that you spend on this forum. I realize that all the posts aren't "technical" but some here and there are. I personally think it will hurt morale on this board to stop counting posts because they aren't "technical" in nature. I am not writing this as a flame it is just my opinion. It just seems a little bit like we are slowly headed in a direction that "other" forums have gone. Like I said this is strictly my opinion. It is not my intension to **** anyone off.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:58 PM
STF Veteran

One other point that I thought about. Since the non technical sections seem to be the areas affected I have a question. How do you police the non technical posts in the technical sections? Let's say that someone posts some high dyno numbers. And someone else replys with a "Nice numbers" post. There is no technical merrit to that post. Does it still count? What is the difference? This probably shouldn't have upset me as much as it did but it doesn't make since to me. Once again, it is NOT my intension to **** anyone off. I am just trying to understand the situation.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:23 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the quality of posts SHOULD matter more than the quantity. my .02
Old 08-24-2004, 03:40 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by badjuju342
the quality of posts SHOULD matter more than the quantity. my .02
I don't dissagree with your statement. But, people come here to get technical information AND to unwind and socialize. That is part of the appeal of this site. Do you want this to be strictly a technical site? I think it would get very dry and lose a lot of its appeal. I personally think this forum is very well rounded. I just don't want to see it grow in away that I personally think will hurt it. I say that knowing full well that my lone opinion isn't going to make or break this site. It is just something that I feel like should be said.

I will be the first to admit that I post the majority of my posts in non technical sections but, I do post in technical sections too. PLUS, I also have bought EVERYONE of my mods for my car from LS1Tech sponsers. And that is ultimatly what the owners of this site want. With that being said, why do some of my post count and some don't?
Old 08-25-2004, 02:13 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would say this stemmed from the 50 post count required to sell in the classifieds. when it was 100 , a few people started complaining about how unfair it was , and some others just started postwhoring to get the needed post count . i personally feel like the admins took a step in the right direction by requiring you have a minimum 50 posts to sell in the classifieds. this is just another step in the process to not go in the racer's lounge , make your minimum posts and then start scamming. i really don't care how high my post count is , and i'll hang out in the lounge and chat it up anyways. i'm not flaming anyone for their opinion , i just happen to agree with the admins on this whole thing. they're trying to stop the scammers from using this site to screw over people , and while not failsafe , still makes it a PIA to get quick easy money for nothing.besides a point i stated in another thread: it's their party , their rules . if this wasn't free , might be something debate over but it's not . i'm an admin at another site and it's hard to completely understand until you've been on both sides of the fence.new to the admin thing but still , it's for the common good that some minor inconvieniences are put into place. once again , my .02
Old 08-25-2004, 11:29 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

badjuju is correct

Quality over quantity.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I agree that the quality is more important than quality, here's another thing that I thought I would throw out there for everyone to ponder.

While this is a "free" site to use, the fact remains that anyone who stays here for any amount of time, usually will end up buying something from the sponsors at one point or another. The sponsors, in turn, help pay for the cost of running the site, and the admins/moderators keep the site running.

While I don't personally care about how many posts I have, other people do, and feel very strongly about it.....so (to a certain degree), if you **** off the members, they don't wanna come here anymore. They don't come here anymore, the sponsors start losing sales. The sponsors start losing sales, they don't wanna continue paying for the site to stay up and running.....

I'm sure you get the picture. I'm not saying that disabling post counts is going to automatically kill the site, but it could potentially be just another "***** in the armor", so to speak.

I personally like the idea that has been put in place of disabling them for the non-technical areas, as it will help keep down the amount of scammers/spam threads that are posted.

And to all the admins/mods, good job guys, keep it up!
Old 09-11-2004, 09:16 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

While I don't personally care about how many posts I have, other people do, and feel very strongly about it.....so (to a certain degree), if you **** off the members, they don't wanna come here anymore. They don't come here anymore, the sponsors start losing sales. The sponsors start losing sales, they don't wanna continue paying for the site to stay up and running.....
Preaching to the choir. You would think that we know how to do a pretty good job of building a successful site in only 3 years. Post counts are so far down the priority list that we honestly don't care about them at all. We've upgraded our software three times now, and upgraded our servers 6 times now, just to make our members happy. Not to mention the free $100 every month, and racing events, etc...

post counts? blah.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:26 PM
STF Veteran

Why not just take them from view then?

Quick Reply: Not counting post