User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

reporting bad links...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default reporting bad links...

i followed a link in my email to a thread, and it said 'invalid link, click here to notify the webmaster.' so i did, and i sent an email to the addy provided for me by the link i clicked on....and i got this reply back...

You recently replied to a message sent by the LS1Tech message forums. Replies to these messages will not be processed by the system. Notifications sent via the system are sent to make you aware of an event, not as an interface to the online forums.

In the instance of a post notification, the email is sent to let you know there has been new posts made in the thread, and the message text is simply included as a convenience to you. Should you wish the community to benefit from your reply, please visit the thread in question by clicking on the link included in the original email.

If you require assistance, you may initiate contact with our staff either via Personal Messages on the web forums, or you may email us directly using the following addresses:

"Brains" -- Brian Grimal -- brains@ls1tech.com
"Nine Ball" -- Tony Whatley -- nineball@ls1tech.com
"Pro Stock John" -- John Ryan -- prostockjohn@ls1tech.com

Thank you,

LS1Tech staff

it doesnt seem right...maybe the email addy was wrong?
Old 02-24-2005, 02:48 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, it's because of the email address they have set in the forum config to be used when someone goes to a dead link... noreply@ls1tech.com . This is the address also normally used to send post notifications, and as the address's username says ('no replies accepted'), is set up to not accept any incoming emails. Don't know if they set it to that address intentionally or not.

When you try to view a thread and get the "No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster" message instead, it's because either the thread was deleted or it was moved into the staff forum (where regular users can't access it anymore).
Old 02-24-2005, 06:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yup, I set it intentionally... You have no idea how many people will get a post or PM notification, and try to reply to it via email. So in an attempt to try helping folks out with understanding just what happens when they do that, I set up the noreply@ autoresponder email.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:58 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Brains
Yup, I set it intentionally... You have no idea how many people will get a post or PM notification, and try to reply to it via email. So in an attempt to try helping folks out with understanding just what happens when they do that, I set up the noreply@ autoresponder email.
Not the autoreply... might want to reread what I said/asked. I was referring to whether or not it was intentional that the noreply email address is also used for the 'contact the webmaster about a dead link' message instead of just for the reply notification emails, since the autoreply sounds like it was written solely focused on the post-notification usage.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

well, if i click on a link and it doesnt work...it tells me to notify the webmaster...what im wondering is if i should, since when i did this time it sent me back that msg.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

vBulletin uses the same email address for all "administrative" links.. So when you change one, you change 'em all..
Old 02-24-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

so, should i try and notify you with that link if something is messed up, or not?
Old 02-24-2005, 04:57 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Brains
vBulletin uses the same email address for all "administrative" links.. So when you change one, you change 'em all..
Ohhh, I see. Didn't realize that. Some other software I've seen lets you specify a different address for sending emails than for everything else, iirc.

Although, come to think of it, might it be possible to just edit the code it's getting that 'contact the webmaster' message from, and put another email address directly into the code instead of having it drawn from the admin-email-address variable? Don't know if you'd actually care enough to do that, but at least in theory?
Old 02-24-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

oh its possible to edit anything and everything Its just more work to push those changes into new vBulletin releases every time one comes out though

Quick Reply: reporting bad links...