User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Mod my car: internet reality show

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mod my car: internet reality show

I just got an idea for something that would be cool to see done on this site.

LS1Tech reality show! "The best of LS1Tech.com"

How it would work:
We would need a contestant, maybe Nineball (Tony) would be the offical guinea pig or our site owners could pick a offical guinea pig.

The guinea pig/contestant would start with a stock LS1 car, no mods of any kind.

We would have to lay some ground rules for the mods (define some goals);
cam and head car only? or stroker ?
stock rear only or 12-bolt?
nitrous or N/A?
street car, street/strip, street/autox or multi-functional ?

Each week (or month) there would be a poll taken to see what mod is done. Week/month one might be be a lid, the LS1tech members would pick the lid from a poll. Week two might be a cat back, the LS1tech members would pick the cat back from a poll and so forth with headers, pulley, cam, heads, wheels, tires, brakes, gears, sway bars ect...

To be in the poll for which part to use for the week, the site sponsors would have to donate the part to the program if their part is to be selected. So if an FM13 cam was the LS1tech cam of choice, FMS would have to agree to donate one of their cams before any of their cams could be listed on the poll.

The chosen part should be installed that week/month and a report given on the before and after effects.

Why in the hell would the sponsors, moderators or site owners want to do this?

It would be very cool to see this car compete in next year's one lap across america, hot rod power tour and all of the various car shows around the country. This would be a great way to promote our sponsors and our great site.

BTW - If we need to choose a guinea pig, I may throw my hat into the ring and buy a used stocker to begin. Or it may be such a thing that at the end of the year the car is auctioned or sold as a promotional car for LS1tech.com.

What do you guys think?

I am sure there would have to be some legal stuff and proof of financial ability as this would be a promotional thing for the site. I bet we have lots of folks that would jump all over this and have the ability to do it.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would take too much to pull off.

I also doubt sponsors would be willing to just "donate" $2k parts. I mean, it would be good avertising, but the price sounds a little steep to me.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

I like the idea but thats a lot of time and money that many would not want to give up though . I would also like to see it done too. Maybe some vid and complete write up with pics so you can see how the sponsor or tech do things the right way. Like say tune a car with HPT or install headers. I think it would boost sales if people could see how easy something was to install and get the info right from the horse's mouth
Old 07-08-2005, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

I like the idea as well, but cost would be the biggest concern. Possibly there could be an option for members to become supporting members ($5/month) which would give them special site privlidges and help to support this idea. I know my local site racingsouthwest.com gives special privlidges to the $5/month supporting members.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

There is already another idea in the works concerning supporting members.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Cyphur, let me know if you need a guinea pig

D
Old 07-08-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Actually it has absolutely nothing to do with this. And its just a membership card-like idea. No need for any guinea pigs.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
There is already another idea in the works concerning supporting members.
Nice!
Old 07-09-2005, 04:03 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

It'd be nice if those monthly gift-certificate giveaways were to come back too Several people have asked why they stopped; if there's been an answer yet, haven't seen it.

Edit: and regarding the original topic of this thread, I agree with what cyphur_traq posted below.

Last edited by ACW; 07-09-2005 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

I personally don't like the idea of this mod-per-month car type deal. Too much legal tape, too much to argue about, no way to ensure that it would be installed correctly in a fashion that NOBODY would argue about, et cetera. Anyone know a shop thats going to do a cam install/tune for free? I agree that donating parts *could* result in some good advertising however the installs would have to come from a neutral shop that had nothing to gain so that it would be fair and everyone would be sure no tricks were pulled, if in fact this was to test combinations or to race or to promote LS1Tech. In any event, all results would have to be independently verifiable.

Thats just the tip of the iceberg of issues, I don't personally see it being a workable deal.

In the long run, as possibilities that have been mentioned, who is going to donate a 4k stroker, 2k heads, or a 5k blower kit? Not to mention 4k worth of suspension(to include a rear end). On top of 2-3k worth of bolt-ons to start off with.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
I personally don't like the idea of this mod-per-month car type deal. Too much legal tape, too much to argue about, no way to ensure that it would be installed correctly in a fashion that NOBODY would argue about, et cetera. Anyone know a shop thats going to do a cam install/tune for free? I agree that donating parts *could* result in some good advertising however the installs would have to come from a neutral shop that had nothing to gain so that it would be fair and everyone would be sure no tricks were pulled, if in fact this was to test combinations or to race or to promote LS1Tech. In any event, all results would have to be independently verifiable.

Thats just the tip of the iceberg of issues, I don't personally see it being a workable deal.

In the long run, as possibilities that have been mentioned, who is going to donate a 4k stroker, 2k heads, or a 5k blower kit? Not to mention 4k worth of suspension(to include a rear end). On top of 2-3k worth of bolt-ons to start off with.
Certainly no one would expect to have a 4K stroker donated. That would be outside of the realm of reason; however a set of heads or suspension pieces (not including a rear end) is not unreasonable. In manufacturing, I am always making donations, usually its someone elses cancelled product or something else that we had laying around.

Installs and tuning? There are plenty of folks (shops or individuals) that could help. That would be part of the great community we have here.

Anyway, it was just a Friday afternoon idea. I still think it would be cool, but your right, there would be a lot of legal issues to overcome and thus some rules or limitations would have to be in place.

There doesn't seem to be too much support for this idea so, maybe next friday afternoon I'll come up with something else.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:45 AM
WOT
TECH Apprentice

who says that parts need to be donated. have the cost of the parts themselves given back to the sponsor as a break in sponsoring fees. If there is money left over that is still owed, let the profit from the end of year auction go back to them if they want it. i am sure that some sponsors would go in the whole some if their parts were selected and to be advertised throughout the year. All parts could be listed in a thread about the car or even a seperate forum dedicated to the build.

As far as a work performing center that is needed for the assembly, see if someone steps up to the plate? I can even think of a few veteran members that would do the work on the side.

all in all, i think it would be neat to see what we would put together and how things would turn out.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Very cool idea. The legal issues wouldn't be as profound as you guys are thinking though. And remember, there is profit in those parts, os it's not really going to cost them $2000 dollars to donate a rear end. (I don't know what real cost is) But who's going to cause legal problems? The only problem I see, is that everybody would pick the most high end, crazy power stuff out there, and it probably wouldn't all mesh well in a street driven car.

Cool idea though!!

Quick Reply: Mod my car: internet reality show