User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Suggestions to all...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions to all...

I've been a member here for a short time and I've noticed one constant. The language. Why must in nearly every thread I read, someone feels the need to drop "F" bombs all over the place? How about some common courtesy and keep the foul language to yourself. Don't get me wrong I've used my fair share of them but not in an open and public forum. To me it sheds a negative light on the site as it seems to be "OK" and allowed. More so when I see Admins doing the same thing. I'm a member on various other car/ truck sites and this type of stuff isn't allowed. Granted the majority of the members here are younger testosterone tossing monkey's (not directed at anyone person) looking to be the toughest "keyboard commando" and leg hump any new member that remotely resembles a female.
Maybe it's just me, maybe it's not. I had to say something. We can all get our point across in any thread without having to express it that way. Not to mention the PM method if you have a personal problem with a certain member. Most of us (again maybe just me) don't really want to see nor read about every Tom, Dick and Harry's dirty laundry.
I've seen other LS1/LT1 sites and the only difference from this one and the others is the member count. If you want this site to be better and stand alone, set the bar higher and allow it to be user and family friendly and not the back alley under 21 rage pit it appears to be.

Thanks for listening and sorry for the rant.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Tech Resident

**** is just a word, and we're all big boys here I think we can handle reading it from time to time. Now that doesnt mean people should be useing it every other sentance, but when my brand new $500 torque conveter craps out on me you bet I'm going to be useing the F-word.

Besides the only place I ever really really see any foul launguage on a regular basis is the Street Racing forum.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Not encouraging it but this is the last bastion of un-pc cyber land and I hope it stays that way. Some sections are self imposed on language so it isn't every forum - just depends on where you are cruising.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

There have been some things said on here that are out of line for sure, but the language is just words, I mean you are just reading it, not hearing it or saying it.

I guess I just dont see any reason for someone who hasnt even been a member for 60 days to be complaining about the practices of a site that you chose to sign up for. Didnt you browse around before you joined?

Again just another opinion...
Old 09-15-2006, 05:40 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only reason that these words are considered bad are because narrow minded people continue to perpetuate that they are. What is wrong with saying ****? If you look at the definition of the word it meens:

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/****
Main Entry: 1fuck
Pronunciation: 'f&k
Function: verb
Etymology: akin to Dutch fokken to breed (cattle), Swedish dialect fókka to copulate
intransitive verb
1 usually obscene : COPULATE
2 usually vulgar : MESS 3 -- used with with
transitive verb
1 usually obscene : to engage in coitus with -- sometimes used interjectionally with an object (as a personal or reflexive pronoun) to express anger, contempt, or disgust
2 usually vulgar : to deal with unfairly or harshly : CHEAT, SCREW

Ok. So what is so wrong with refering to a term that refers to copulation? Everyone does it and it's a fact of life, accept it.

People need to chill out and accept facts of life and not worry about small things such as a word being typed over the internet.

OFF TOPIC: One thing that also bothers me is when people shun you for saying a "bad" word in front of an infant. STFU, your child cannot eat by itself, speak, nor wipe its own ***. It's not going to be scarred for life by hearing someone say **** or bitch.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Are you ******* serious???
Old 09-15-2006, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AVALANCHE&TA
I've seen other LS1/LT1 sites and the only difference from this one and the others is the member count.
HOLY MOTHER ******* ****!!!

Please tell me you're joking.

We're all car guys here, not children. Ever been in a shop, at the track, or
on the dyno? People cuss like drunken truck-driving sailors. That's
life. Deal with it or join a romper room forum.

I find it interesting that you, a guy with 12 posts, obviously haven't
contributed much to this site yet you are providing us with suggestions
to run it. Kind of ironic.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:08 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

I do believe there has always been a general rule to not use that much profanity on this site cause in theory - its a family site. Still though grow a pair, there just words.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:01 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lithium
I do believe there has always been a general rule to not use that much profanity on this site cause in theory - its a family site. Still though grow a pair, there just words.
The only "rule" that I'm aware of, and I've been here quite a while now,
is that Colonel didn't like people using the Lord's name in vane (i.e God Damn).
It doesn't mean anything to me or too many other guys here so that's
really not policed anymore. An over-abundance of vulgar comments aren't
welcome, but there aren't any rules stricly forbidding it. There are filters
that could be used to turn cuss words into ****** if our admins wanted.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:26 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by AVALANCHE&TA
I've been a member here for a short time and I've noticed one constant. The language. Why must in nearly every thread I read, someone feels the need to drop "F" bombs all over the place? How about some common courtesy and keep the foul language to yourself. Don't get me wrong I've used my fair share of them but not in an open and public forum. To me it sheds a negative light on the site as it seems to be "OK" and allowed. More so when I see Admins doing the same thing. I'm a member on various other car/ truck sites and this type of stuff isn't allowed. Granted the majority of the members here are younger testosterone tossing monkey's (not directed at anyone person) looking to be the toughest "keyboard commando" and leg hump any new member that remotely resembles a female.
Maybe it's just me, maybe it's not. I had to say something. We can all get our point across in any thread without having to express it that way. Not to mention the PM method if you have a personal problem with a certain member. Most of us (again maybe just me) don't really want to see nor read about every Tom, Dick and Harry's dirty laundry.
I've seen other LS1/LT1 sites and the only difference from this one and the others is the member count. If you want this site to be better and stand alone, set the bar higher and allow it to be user and family friendly and not the back alley under 21 rage pit it appears to be.

Thanks for listening and sorry for the rant.
Your post ******* sucks.

I feel that I have the right to tell you that, since I've been an active and positive contributing member of this site since day one (almost 5 years ago). LS1Tech is like an on-line home for many of us.

Frankly I think it's in poor taste for a new member like yourself to bad mouth a site with comments like:

"Granted the majority of the members here are younger testosterone tossing monkey's (not directed at anyone person) looking to be the toughest "keyboard commando" and leg hump any new member that remotely resembles a female."

or

"allow it to be user and family friendly and not the back alley under 21 rage pit it appears to be"

You have no idea how helpful and useful this site is to it's members. If you open your mind to what this site is really about, and not worry so much about a simple 4 letter word, you might just see that.....and learn a great deal about LS1s along the way.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by unit213
HOLY MOTHER ******* ****!!!

Please tell me you're joking.

We're all car guys here, not children. Ever been in a shop, at the track, or
on the dyno? People cuss like drunken truck-driving sailors. That's
life. Deal with it or join a romper room forum.

I find it interesting that you, a guy with 12 posts, obviously haven't
contributed much to this site yet you are providing us with suggestions
to run it. Kind of ironic.
Based on stuff like this that I see more and more, I predict this site is going to just be full of post whoring asswipes within 2-3 years, surviving only off of the archives and then, soon after that, it will follow the path of ls1.com. Kind of like how ls1.com was the **** back in the day and then, largely due to how it was run, ls1tech took over. Another site will edge you guys out. I'm not saying anything about the language because I really don't care but the admins are getting out of control around here IMO.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:46 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by kenkaru
Based on stuff like this that I see more and more, I predict this site is going to just be full of post whoring asswipes within 2-3 years
I continually ban members that are here merely to create controversy, troll, etc in an effort to keep the community and the site tech based. Make
all the predictions you want. LS1Tech is here to stay.

surviving only off of the archives and then, soon after that, it will follow the path of ls1.com. Kind of like how ls1.com was the **** back in the day and then, largely due to how it was run, ls1tech took over.
The gosh damned search feature hasn't worked forever and LS1Tech
is still thriving. Archives my ***.

Another site will edge you guys out.
That's interesting. When I speak about this site I use the term
"us" since this is an online home to me such as RPM WS6 pointed out.
You said "you guys," which clearly indicates your stance and your apparent
lack of participation here.

Perhaps you've noticed that 99% of the serious LSx drag racers, sponsors,
etc are active members or moderators here.

...the admins are getting out of control around here IMO.
Yeah...so is the President. Try doing something about that.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion. Speaking on my own behalf, not
for LS1Tech, we want members who bring tech contributions,
positive attitudes, or knowledge towards this hobby/sport. If you're not
happy with the site, feel free to leave.

Have a nice weekend.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:57 AM
Administrator

Based on stuff like this that I see more and more, I predict this site is going to just be full of post whoring asswipes within 2-3 years, surviving only off of the archives and then, soon after that, it will follow the path of ls1.com. Kind of like how ls1.com was the **** back in the day and then, largely due to how it was run, ls1tech took over. Another site will edge you guys out. I'm not saying anything about the language because I really don't care but the admins are getting out of control around here IMO.
I see you searching the forums. Trying to find something juicy?
Don't waste your time. I spend a lot of time here in many different
capacities. Try to be original and post something creative, not some
quotes. Maybe you should search my PM's so you see the hundreds of
support PM's I send to our members.

...or am I wrong?
Old 09-16-2006, 02:36 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not saying anything about the language because I really don't care but the admins are getting out of control around here IMO.
Newsflash: we've been out of control, our minds and money for quite some time now....
Old 09-16-2006, 02:42 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by badjuju342
Newsflash: we've been out of control, our minds and money for quite some time now....
Indeed sir
Old 09-16-2006, 06:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by unit213
I see you searching the forums. Trying to find something juicy?
Don't waste your time. I spend a lot of time here in many different
capacities. Try to be original and post something creative, not some
quotes. Maybe you should search my PM's so you see the hundreds of
support PM's I send to our members.

...or am I wrong?
ummmm, either that or I tried to use the search feature a few times this morning to research header gaskets but the search wasn't working.
keep proving my point
btw, you might consider a new hobby besides playing god on the forums.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:42 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

keep proving my point
You've already managed to prove that you know nothing about what brought LS1.com down.

You think LS1Tech is headed down the same path? You have either:

1) Been blind to the facts

or

2) You're just looking to cause trouble with false banter

or

3) You were not around to see why most of us left LS1.com to join this site.

Let me give you a little history lesson.....

The owner of LS1.com didn't give two ***** about his board. In the '99-'01 time frame that I was an active member there, I rarely ever saw him post. He allowed it to basically fall to pieces. People using the board for it's original tech purposes were no longer able to make more than 1 post per hour beause the board became stupidly slow due to accessive BS traffic in the AAG section. And it was only getting worse day by bay.

There is a HUGE difference in the ownership of this site. PSJ and Nineball are extremely active members of this board, always helping members out to this day. The "tech" side of things always takes a front seat to the BS crap that eventually drags down a lot of boards (like LS1.com). A site can only stay popular/active for so long when it's mostly about BS chat room crap, because people that engage exclusively in that junk become bored of a given site after a while and they move on. It's not really a "home" to them, it's just a place to kill time.

Those of us who are here to HELP OTHERS and LEARN about this hobby/sport are commited. In many cases we are life-long hobbyists, to one degree or another, who plan to stay that way. It makes us feel good to help people new to the hobby, and give them a place to call home if they wish. Those of us that have been around this site for years are like a family, and we will surely stick together. I'm sure I speak for all of us senior people here when I say that we welcome any new members that want to give the same positive contribution to this site that has been tradition for many years now, and made it what it is today.

So basically, if you're just here to complain and not to make the site a better place with positive contribution, then why not just leave? There are plenty of other's that are willing to enjoy and contribute to the site. We really don't need people that think this site is a waste of time.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
3) You were not around to see why most of us left LS1.com to join this site.
This is the correct answer. You're right, I think I joined LS1.com shortly after you and many others left but I saw the rest of the migration. I didn't realize it was that bad at one point. I personally left because I liked the LS1tech members/climate better. -kenkaru

Those of us who are here to HELP OTHERS and LEARN about this hobby/sport are commited. ........ positive contribution to this site that has been tradition for many years now, and made it what it is today.

So basically, if you're just here to complain and not to make the site a better place with positive contribution, then why not just leave? There are plenty of other's that are willing to enjoy and contribute to the site. We really don't need people that think this site is a waste of time.
I absolutely agree. I do believe that the original poster tried to make a positive contribution and got a response of 40pt font swears and was belittled because of a "low post count" like a post count is an indication of anything. I personally think a low post count says more positive than a high one.

My only point is the response was very rude and not in the "helping" spirit of the board. The OP gave his input to help out, not bash. Furthermore, when an admin responds as such, it opens the door for others and, well look at the other responses to the OP. Suddenly it doesn't sound like a very helpful or studious community to me.

Overall, you made good points and I agree with what you said but I just don't really understand why you presented the second half as rebuttle because you didn't contradict anything I said or did.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:53 AM
Administrator

ummmm, either that or I tried to use the search feature a few times this morning to research header gaskets but the search wasn't working.
keep proving my point
btw, you might consider a new hobby besides playing god on the forums.
That was it? That was your witty retort?

Maybe we'll see you in 4 more years when you post again.
Thank you for your concern for our site. It's appreciated.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:15 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I absolutely agree. I do believe that the original poster tried to make a positive contribution and got a response of 40pt font swears
I don't think it was positive of the original poster to say:

"Granted the majority of the members here are younger testosterone tossing monkey's (not directed at anyone person) looking to be the toughest "keyboard commando" and leg hump any new member that remotely resembles a female."

or

"allow it to be user and family friendly and not the back alley under 21 rage pit it appears to be."

So I have to disagree with you on that point. It is entirely possibile to make suggestions without using insults. But that particular member saw fit to take a different route. Either way, sensorship of language that is standard at shops or the track on a site like this is just silly, IMO.

and was belittled because of a "low post count" like a post count is an indication of anything. I personally think a low post count says more positive than a high one.
I have to disagree with that as well. It all depends on what the posts are about. Assuming a majority of any given users posts are tech related (which on this site they are, seeing as we haven't been able to build post count in non-tech realted sections of the site like classifieds or the Lounge, etc., for a very long time now), then a high post count is a good thing. Again, assuming it's someone who's helpful and posting accurate, honest info. I'll even open myself to speculation.... I've got to be in the top 25 highest posters on this site, go ahead and check out my last few hundered posts and see for yourself what we post about.

My only point is the response was very rude and not in the "helping" spirit of the board. The OP gave his input to help out, not bash. Furthermore, when an admin responds as such, it opens the door for others and, well look at the other responses to the OP. Suddenly it doesn't sound like a very helpful or studious community to me.
It looked a lot more like bashing to me. And he was treated as such.

Quick Reply: Suggestions to all...