User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Search Function Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Search Function Suggestion

I think a big reason why people are retarded when it comes to using the search function is the braodness of the search. Is there anyway we can search posts based on the posts having the EXACT words typed in together. I hate it when i type in something specific and I get 1000 results for just one of the words, when I need both of them together.... If that makes any sense..
Old 09-17-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The search indexes by word. If it indexed by phrase, search would be MUCH slower, and the index would be absolutely HUGE since there's no possible way for the search to know which words should be grouped together by phrase. You'd basically be back to searching the entire block of data. We're working with around 4.5 MILLION posts now, something like 11 gigs of data, so you can imagine the index gets quite large as-is

Its tough when people compare our search to something like Google. When you search on google, you are actually using a subset of their vast number of servers. Nobody but Google knows for sure, but there's an estimated 500,000 servers in their arsenal, and any given search can use any percentage of these. Obviously, that's a tad more horsepower than we have available to us Another interesting tidbit -- Google's ELECTRIC BILL runs somewhere between 1 and 2 MILLION DOLLARS PER MONTH..
Old 09-17-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, I didnt think it was that complex- I actually thought it would be easier since the search is more "to the point"..
C'mon fellas, you're telling me LS1Tech doesnt make as much or more than Google??
$2 million is pocket change for that Google dude, isnt he worth something like $140 million a year?
Old 09-17-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TchargedLS1TA
C'mon fellas, you're telling me LS1Tech doesnt make as much or more than Google??

Quick Reply: Search Function Suggestion