User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

I HATE Websense!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I HATE Websense!

About 8 months ago here at work, they (MIS) installed Websense, which is a device that regulates employee's internet traffic. Well, needless to say its annoying as hell since it seems like everything I need is blocked. Even some of my company's vendor's sites.

I would like to know if there is a way to disable it, or by-pass it all together. I hang out mostly at the sister site performancetrucks.net, but when I come over to tech I hit the Websense wall. We only get 3 30minute sessions now. I'm never on here for 30 minutes activley, but I'm on here more that 3 times a day.

I find if I type in www.ls1tech.com/forums I don't hit the Websense block, but if I type www.ls1tech.com I get blocked. I especially get blocked if there's a link somebody posts to another thread. Does anybody know how I by-pass Websense, or can we get it so all of it is NOT blocked?
Old 11-09-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can use a proxy like:

https://www.secure-tunnel.com/ (type the url into the box into the upper rh corner)

or

https://www.hidebehind.net/
Old 11-09-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Links don't come work! It says the server is down or something. Mother$#@!#
Old 11-09-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

They might have those sites blocked too.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

hrmm ls1tech.com/usa i think is a hide behind thing,
if not, continually edit links to the initial www.ls1tech.com/forums/etctetcetcetc
Old 11-09-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have an AOL account that you pay for? Or how about a netzero or MSN or some other kind of internet provider?

I have websense here at work, but LS1tech as well as all my other car sites are NOT blocked. But they've blocked the game sites.

I'm a finance manager for a car dealership, so I get bored ALOT, haha. i need my games.

if you download another ISP on your computer(i have a seperate broadband AOL account from home) it will get you by. I got my aol 9.bajillion or whatever they are up to now. downloaded it on the computer. and then start it up and use my normal password. NOTHING is blocked.

now realize my upper management really doesn't CARE that i can get by it, they were more wanting salespeople to not be on myspace all day long type thing.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

I'm an IT technician and we have websense installed.

Don't try to go to any proxy avoidance sites. Websense not only catches those but reports suspicious inqueries to IT admins. If you get too many you will get a notice from your work most likely asking you to stop, and they will further monitor your surfing habits. They may also, depending on the internet policy, restrict your "non-productivity" work surfing to a limited period of time. Trust me if you think you can get around it, they are just watching you try.

There is no way around it other than getting permission from your admin to open up specific URL's. We do it all the time.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sdbrown84

There is no way around it other than getting permission from your admin to open up specific URL's. We do it all the time.
I find this very hard to believe. We can put a man on the moon, but
we can't find a to access LS1Tech from work? I'm not buying it.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

there are ways. I give the IT guys headaches and make them think. Sure they could lock me down, but I feel that they think Im smart enough to do certain things, they let me by.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

Honestly guys websense is not a piece of software. It is a piece of hardware that sits between the company and the outside world (ie your ISP). It logs EVERYTHING and classifies it according to each individual user. The best way arround it is to just bring it up with your manager that you would like the URL opened up. Mention that you will only use it duing your "break" time, and you will be fine.

If they don't then you are probably out of luck. Let me know if you find anyway around it cause no one I know has.

If any of you guys worked at my firm I would get it opened up for you
Old 11-10-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Websense is hardware? I know MIS, or IT here or whoever can disable it. They've had some glitches and issues with it in the past and for a couple weeks it was completely gone. It it's hardware, what did they do, just turn it off?

I know they monitor everything I do, but based off what I look at, it just looks like I'm a gearhead engineer. I have nothing to hide.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Its not hard to bypass at all...and no, another isp is not going to help. Websense is a firewall that filters everything for the entire network, so if you are accessing the internet through that network, your data is being filtered and monitored.

Solution: Use RDP, or Remote Desktop Protocol. Rdp from your work computer to your home computer. Then you can surf the net from your home computer but display and control it on your work computer.
For most, just enable rdp on your home computer and use the client side at work.
But what if your work computer doesn't have rdp and you can't install programs? That is simple, http://www.realvnc.com ...real virtual network computing, just install on your home computer and enter your ip address(actual ip on the net, not your local one) in the web browser, it uses a java app through the web browser so that you do not have to install anything on the client side.

There are a few simple details, like port forwarding if you are on a network, etc., but nothing to difficult.
Good Luck!

btw, I use this method every single day at work, without it I wouldn't be posting this right now.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

HAHA I know someone who does that^ but connects to someone's computer in different countries. And he has a list so that he can just switch back and forth. But that is prolly very illegal so im not gonna try it. But this^ on the other hand i might try.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

Yes you can use remote desktop or real VNC. You are essentially just watching your monitor at home. Good workaround yes.

Just make sure that you have install permissions on your machine.

Your outgoing traffic usage is still monitored ie. how much bandwith you are using. It would take someone watching you closely to figure something was off, but you would be alright in that sense.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

I prefer ultraVNC over real VNC, both are based on VNC. Logmein.com is another service like gotomypc, but offers connection only for free, upgrade pacakges allow you to transfer files between home and work. MY coworker set up all of his family members computers on it, and just connects in when they have an issue.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

change the language lol dod uses websense and it blows. but you can use a proxy server and that will bypass it.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sdbrown84
Yes you can use remote desktop or real VNC. You are essentially just watching your monitor at home. Good workaround yes.

Just make sure that you have install permissions on your machine.

Your outgoing traffic usage is still monitored ie. how much bandwith you are using. It would take someone watching you closely to figure something was off, but you would be alright in that sense.
You don't need install permissions...all you need is a java enabled web browser, which about 99% of desktop computers already have...

The only thing they can see is that you have a connection to some random ip address and you are using bandwidth...but anytime you are connected to the internet you are connected to multiple random ip address for domain name resolution and such, and unless you are downloading music or something your bandwidth usage won't tell them much.....so all you have to worry about is having your thumb and index finger on 'alt' and 'tab', so that when your boss walks by you can instantly switch to your work screen.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Junkie

It s so funny to walk into someones cubicle and see them alt-tab
Old 11-10-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

great thread im subscribing
Old 11-10-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

lol the things we will do to be on tech! lol