User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

So what're your feelings about the 'New' LS1Tech?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Default Re: So whats you feelings about the "NEW" LS1tech

Yes, indeed it's looking much better!

I think it is a little faster on DSL than the other one.

I like being able to see how many times something is viewed.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sucks and it sucks bad.

Everyone in a thread is the same font and you have to read your way through it to read what the user has typed.

What was the reason for this change anyway?
Old 04-27-2003, 10:05 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Matt, our previous software was beyond its capacity for the amount of traffic we see (over 1.5 million hits per day) and it was slowing down alot in the evenings when everyone was online. Rather than just sit here and keep feeding you guys the same crap and never upgrade, we decided to keep the site speed up. The previous software was flat-file, and you litterally had to wait your turn to reply in any thread while other replies were being processed. The new software is database driven and allows multiple transfers instantly.

Sorry it "sucks" so bad. Thanks for the support there
Old 04-27-2003, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the changes you've made rock Tony! It's feeling like home again. I'm sure there will be more tweaks to perfect it. Keep up the good work!
Old 04-27-2003, 10:31 AM

Matt, our previous software was beyond its capacity for the amount of traffic we see (over 1.5 million hits per day) and it was slowing down alot in the evenings when everyone was online. Rather than just sit here and keep feeding you guys the same crap and never upgrade, we decided to keep the site speed up. The previous software was flat-file, and you litterally had to wait your turn to reply in any thread while other replies were being processed. The new software is database driven and allows multiple transfers instantly.

Sorry it "sucks" so bad. Thanks for the support there
Just giving my opinion.

Maybe its different for you to read, but trying to read through a thread with just faint grey lines dividing the same font, black text is a bitch. The old format was the best. Better than ls1.com, better than 99% of the boards I've seen.
Old 04-27-2003, 02:49 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

Keep those replies coming!

Changing was something we had to do, we had overgrown the .Classic software. This new Threads software, which is still made by the same company (www.infopop.com), is much faster. Right now the site is DSL fast for me and I am on a dialup right now.

I definitely agree that the raw features of this software were kind of lame looking.

I know some folks have had problems loggin in, and I am responding to your requests but it's taking some time.

We gained about 15 new features over the old 'ware so play with the site and figure out the less obvious ones.
Old 04-27-2003, 07:26 PM
Administrator

I think the Reply page needs some work. The text box is way too long. I also don't like how I have to scroll down everytime to hit the "continue" button. Ok, so I'm lazy. Maybe cut the reply text box in half and move the smilies and UBB code table to the right side of the page, next to the reply text box. Just a though...
Old 04-27-2003, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, this thing is as slow as Christmas now. Took me nearly 5 minutes to load the pages to make this post. I'm on DSL and no other forums load remotely this slow. Just growing pains I guess.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:01 AM
9 Second Club

this site is slower for me now than it was before
Old 04-28-2003, 08:13 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

My real suggestion is bring back the classic look and feel. It was very simple and easy to use. Very readable as well.

Also, ditch the topic titles and edit/reply/quote buttons in EVERY reply and just have them at the top like normal.

Adding too many features can easily bring much confusion. You know what they say, "Keep it simple stupid." I don't think this board should be about a bunch of crazy and nifty features but just the important things.. post notification, good searches and easy to read threads.

Also, It'd be nice to have sig's disabled unless you manually enable it per reply. I assume you're already working on this though.

And to add, Yes I do know that you are currently working on it and I DO know how much time and effort it takes with the behinds the scenes stuff... Key thing, write down ALL of your changes to the software. When upgrades become available you will know exactly what's needed to mold it the way you had it previousely. I've learned this the hard way with my forum. Now, any time there is an upgrade I just go through the files, make my adjustments I have written down and I'm good to go.

- Keith
Old 04-28-2003, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Overall, I like it. I preferred the old color scheme. As for button pacement, that's something to get used to, once familiar no one will notice. I like having my sig attached. I used to forget to do it and get annoyed with myself. I went through the trouble to write it, I want it up there. The site has run much faster for me, and that is what was most important to me. I am sure some tweaks will be made and all will be well. Still no smilies for me.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:06 PM
Administrator

What's the deal with the huge font now? I'm not blind!
Old 04-28-2003, 02:56 PM
TECH Veteran

I just now started looking at it since the changes. So far what I like: the site speed & showing how many users are online..I'm sure I will find more the more I look around. I understand these things take time to get sorted out. The things I'm not too crazy about: the font size is a little big, you can only view 10 threads per page, the same thing someone else said about the reply buttons being on every post...don't know if it will just send my reply normally or make it look as if I am directing my reply towards the user I just happen to click reply to, and I just kind of liked the old look better I think it was perfect. The only thing I didn't like about the old setup was the slower speed.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are online..I'm sure I will find more the more I look around. I understand these things take time to get sorted out. The things I'm not too crazy about: the font size is a little big, you can only view 10 threads per page

You can change that in your preferences (under "My Home")
Old 04-28-2003, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The word wrap is screwed up for me. Long lines of text go under the sponsor's banners on the right. I have a left-right scroll bar now at the bottom of the screen that I have to use also. How do I get rid of that and have everything fit without having to scroll left-right?
Old 04-28-2003, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

are online..I'm sure I will find more the more I look around. I understand these things take time to get sorted out. The things I'm not too crazy about: the font size is a little big, you can only view 10 threads per page

You can change that in your preferences (under "My Home")
THANKS! Takes some getting use to all this new stuff you have to do now
Old 04-29-2003, 06:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some little rants of stuff i've noticed as i've gotten used to the board...

-i liked how the reply/submit new topic was at the top and bottom of each page. now it's after each post and kind of annoying to me.

-when i have to log in on a new computer, i liked the old way better, you just clicked the "reply" button and it told you that you were not logged in, you logged in or registered, and than it automatically took you to the reply part of that post. now you have to start all over and sign in, and then it goes back to main index and you have to start even further back.

-for some odd reason, i get a LOT, and i mean a LOT, of website not responding when i try to get on to the main site. and then a lot of times when clicking on topics. all i have to do is "go back" and then click the same thing again. 75% of the time i get to where i'm going, the other 25% it says the same thing again and i go back and try again. that was the one thing i loved about this site when it was first started, i NEVER had a problem getting on(unless of course you were doing updates) but NEVER any other problems.

Chris

I appreciate everyone's efforts in trying to make the best ls1 site even better, but i'm "Missin The 'Ole Site"....
Old 04-29-2003, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know what the deal is but on mine it seems slower. I have a weird internet connection though and the fact that I run dial-up doesn't help. Everyone else seems to think it's faster . I probably just spent too much money on my car and not enough on my internet.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Way too slow,too much mumbo jumbo,I can`t spend all night here.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

I like the look & feel of the site. New features are cool. But it's painfully slow for me. Once the site responds it's pretty good but it's 30+ seconds before I even get a response sometimes. I'm on DSL at home and a double T1 at work and the old site was quicker.

EDIT: This is in no way going to affect me coming here. This is WAY to valuable a site to abandon it. I'm sure the speed will get worked out eventually.

Quick Reply: So what're your feelings about the 'New' LS1Tech?