User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

iPhone cannot use search feature

Old 08-17-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default iPhone cannot use search feature

I have had my iPhone for about three weeks and I know there have been issues with the search button recently. But evert time I have tried a serach with my iPhone I get a blank page. No error message or anything just a clear blank page. Anyone know why this is happening?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its been happening on my computer to so its not the phone!
Old 08-17-2007, 07:42 PM
Former Vendor - No longer Vendor

its apples safari. its a junk browser thats been junked up even more to work on the iphone.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

really I have had few problems with the browser other than this and then sometimes it seems to crash to the main screen
Old 08-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Moderately Differentiated

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

This may help.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

no not really.....
Old 08-18-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like an iPhone problem. Not exactly sure that the owners/admin are going to specially code the search function to appeal to the iPhone's inept ability to run a php script...

Maybe you should try a forum for the iPhone...instead of a car forum...
Old 08-21-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Just going to take this oppertunity to say: MAC, I HATE YOU. I HATE SAFARI AND I HOPE YOU BOTH BURN IN HELL, THE FIERY BURNING HELL, NOT THE HELL THAT ME AND ALL THE PLAYMATES ARE GOING TO.

I'm stuck on a Mac at work (while everyone up front gets PCs). It sucks big time. Safari doesn't display half the **** right if at all and IE crashes twice a day on my Mac.

Everyone claiming Macs are great either do liitle work on them, do something speacialized that by the grace of God Mac is good at, or for some reason just think they're cool rebels 'cause they don't use Windows. **** Mac. Slow, crash constantly, incompatable with the rest of the world -- but hey, they have a GREAT marketing campaign!
Old 08-21-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharpe
IE crashes twice a day on my Mac.
Please tell me you are not running IE on a Mac.

IE for Mac is a completely outdated unsupported browser that is years behind any other choice you could pick.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Try Linux on your Mac
Old 08-21-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Macs are pretty much only good for graphic arts. My friend who manages the Autotrader's graphics department says that's all they use to layout their ads. And I will admit, Macs are killer for displaying graphics. But try to do anything other than using it as a digital crayola and they're pretty much poop. And now that they're stuffing Intel processors in them, they're gonna be pretty much poop for graphics now too.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Dan Stewart
Macs are pretty much only good for graphic arts. My friend who manages the Autotrader's graphics department says that's all they use to layout their ads. And I will admit, Macs are killer for displaying graphics. But try to do anything other than using it as a digital crayola and they're pretty much poop. And now that they're stuffing Intel processors in them, they're gonna be pretty much poop for graphics now too.
This represents a typical uninformed opinion from someone who has never owned/used a Mac or at least hasn't done so recently (since OS X became stable/mature).

The Mac has the capability and software to do pretty much anything possible on Windows except run the wide variety of games that is available on Win and a few high end design apps (autocad).

Now that Macs can actually run Windows (if you choose to), and linux of course, I would say they can actually do more than other systems now.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

not to mention, the choice of processor has *nothing* to do with how it does graphics

Despite the price, I see nothing about a Mac that's a downside. Like 'bird said, they're the most flexible hardware available right now.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by infinitebird
This represents a typical uninformed opinion from someone who has never owned/used a Mac or at least hasn't done so recently (since OS X became stable/mature).
Been using my friend's Mac and his Powerbook for almost 2 years. I use them for various Adobe programs, which work awesomely. OS X. Safari sucks, btw, makes Netscape seem advanced.

The Mac has the capability and software to do pretty much anything possible on Windows except run the wide variety of games that is available on Win and a few high end design apps (autocad).
Yep, once again.....sucks. Not only have I tried various times to get Autocad 2007 to work on either one of his overpriced PC knockoffs, aka Mac, but tried to get previous versions of ACAD to work on it going back all the way to Autocad R14. All were tried using both Windows and Linux. No luck there.

You said something about uninformed opinion?
Old 08-21-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Veteran

You said something about uninformed opinion?
Indeed. You said the Mac was useless for anything other than graphics, which is completely incorrect.

I use one for (just off the top of my head):

-web browsing
-email
-messaging
-programming
-running a business/accounting
-presentations
-audio mixing
-tuning my car (with parallels)
-writing reports
-ripping/burning cds/dvds

There are thousands of things people use Macs for besides graphics which work very well. If you prefer windows, that is fine but it is just ignorant to claim that only Windows will do anything other than graphics/design.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not trying to offend you, but you made a remark about me without knowing anything about me. Sorry if I did, in fact, offend you.

I just don't see Apple's products as anything more advanced than any other desktop or laptop made.

I guess I'm just a PC
Old 08-21-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

lol, no offense taken. My remark was based on the fact that most people I've seen make similar statements have never used a recent Mac/OS X system. If you have and it didn't work for you, that's fine, but what you basically did was generalize that to "it must not work for anyone doing anything else then", which is not the case. True, I don't really know anything about you, but your comment that intel processors would make Macs suck at graphics when they already sucked at everything else showed me that you don't really know all that much about software/hardware architectures or the Mac platform specifically. It was nothing personal I was just providing some evidence to the contrary.

I just don't see Apple's products as anything more advanced than any other desktop or laptop made.
That is a perfectly reasonable statement to make, and it's a far cry from what you previously stated, I just wanted to clarify the facts of the matter.

Last edited by infinitebird; 08-21-2007 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:58 PM
Launching!

I agree that apple products aren't very useful unless you're a casual user. For one reason or another my engineering college had a mac lab with all the updated programs and software. None of the systems were capable of running the most commonly used 3D modeling software (Solidworks, ProE). Naturally they were also unable to run finite element software. So for most engineers, they are entirely useless. However, I can see how someone who is in business may prefer them, different strokes...
Old 08-21-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Well it depends on the field you are referring to. The enterprise is definitely one area where the mac platform has lagged in historically. The main professional markets where Macs are used are media (audio/video/graphics/web) and scientific computing (mathematics/modeling/number crunching). I would agree they are probably not very useful in engineering. And most businesses still prefer Windows although a lot of IT managers and software developers do use Macs.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

There's a lot of programmers that love the Mac. I can look around the office here, and I can see quite a few PowerBooks all open with code on the screen, and ssh sessions to various servers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: iPhone cannot use search feature