User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

fbody how to site?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default fbody how to site?

i know there are a few sites out there like ls1howto.com and install university but it seem like there writes ups dont get updated much and there arent many new articles. Would there be any interest in a write up site thats updated more frequently and can have stuff submitted by tech members and such? I have the time and the know how to do it, just wondering if anyone would be interested
Old 04-10-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea that would be cool, have a trial and error thing also in there for people trying new things and how it went.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

i could just make it a searchable forum or add a forum to the site
Old 04-10-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

i know theres alot of info out there scattered over several sites but it would be nice to get them all in one place where people can submit there own, host the pictures there so the never turn into red x's and vote on what writeups are good
Old 04-10-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

why not start a wikipedia how-to page for this, so that other people can direction contribute to the page?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
why not start a wikipedia how-to page for this, so that other people can direction contribute to the page?
Problems may arise if anyone could change the write up. You may get some people in there who would change it to inflict damage to ones car. That has happened on wiki quite a few times. I like the idea of having a site where there would be a list of site approved write ups, then a section where users could up load there own write ups with the difference in approach and how they would tackle a said modification. Then have a system allowing people to vote on the most useful of the write ups thereby rendering the not so help full ones to the bottom of the pile and keeping bad info or methods out.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xBROKEx
i could just make it a searchable forum or add a forum to the site
Isn't that exactly what ls1tech is for?
Old 04-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

There's a how-to/youtube-like site in the works.

Originally Posted by kwik6@detroitturbo.com,syty.net
Well for the last 14 months or so I've been working on a project that I have devoted almost every waking moment to.

The purpose of this business stemmed from my love of these trucks and my desire to learn and help others understand how they work.

I started Detroit Turbo in 2004 and love doing it. I enjoy spending time on the phone with customers even if I don't get their business. I've often realized that explaining the purpose of the parts we sell over the phone is just not enough. Some things are just better understood by watching than by explaining.

Take tuning for example. It starts off fairly basic with a laptop and ALDL cable, but then what does it actually take to start working with an Ostrich and WB02? What about upgrading the injector drivers in your ecm? All of those would be so much easier for people to see in a 5 minute video.

We often recommend to people, hook up with some local people to have them help you. Thats great, but if your in need of something quick that can perhaps save you lots of headaches like how to properly adjust your TV cable so you don't ruin your trans, then thats something that would make sense seeing someone do in a video. I want to see the quick fixes like the TV cable, but also more project oriented videos. I'm sure we could come up with quite the list here.

So, what I did was create a site, sort of a youtube on steroids. Its a place to share knowledge and forms groups to collaborate and even earn revenue on the content. As I started building it I began to really enjoy tech/geek stuff so I think the site has potential to help people understand visually how servers are setup, load balanced, firewalled, scaled, etc. but I don't want to have a diluted site with too little focus.

The videos can be a how-to type theme, but its not limited to that. Those sites seem too bla. I think for the most part it should be how-to but should also include video that captures innovation and technology. Personally, automotive and performance type content is what I'd like to first have on the site. I think automotive captures the depth that I see this site having in terms of information because of how involved these projects can be.

The revenue part is something we are building that will allow video publishers to get paid a share of the revenue from advertising. We also have a partnership with a company that has established a micropayment system like paypal but without the fees. They have a facebook application where people can pay others amounts under a $1 if necessary. There is a very interesting possibility for donating to others that may need to raise money.

Eventually we hope that as people enjoy creating useful content and earning revenue, they would want to launch a channel. A channel is a means of allowing people to subscribe to your videos and can even have them sent to a mobile phone. Publishers could work out sponsorships and eventually be their sole source of income if thats what they desire.

I don't want to go on and on at this point, but just wanted to give an introduction of what we will be launching soon.

Please let me know your thoughts, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

The site is free up to about 1G of video storage, then we offer a pro subscription if you go over.

If anyone wants an invite to participate in our beta testing that will begin March 1st, please reply in this thread or email me at sy1840[at]gmail.com

The first hundred people that remain active in our testing and once we launch will enjoy lifetime benefits that I assure you will be quite nice.

Here are some screenshots, the last one is the design we are changing to for the release.

High Def

Video Page

Members Profile

Wouldn't vids make life much easier?
Old 04-11-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its On All Of Us To Do This.

If You Do A Good Enough Write Up With Pics And All The Details, The Mods Should Sticky It.

Or... Make A New "write Ups And How To's" Forum
Old 04-11-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hndakilr

If You Do A Good Enough Write Up With Pics And All The Details, The Mods Should Sticky It.

I agree with that.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

the only bad thing about that is pics end up going to redx's when people stop hosting them
Old 04-12-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhosNXT
Problems may arise if anyone could change the write up. You may get some people in there who would change it to inflict damage to ones car. That has happened on wiki quite a few times. I like the idea of having a site where there would be a list of site approved write ups, then a section where users could up load there own write ups with the difference in approach and how they would tackle a said modification. Then have a system allowing people to vote on the most useful of the write ups thereby rendering the not so help full ones to the bottom of the pile and keeping bad info or methods out.
this is exactly why ive been thinking about doing this
Old 04-13-2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by hndakilr

I always mean to do it and take the camera out every time I work on the car. Just never seem to get all the pic's. I get involved and stop 1/2 way through taking them.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Copied from New User to US&R.

This is an idea I'd like more moderators and admin to see. Not sure if we could add another forum but it could be a condensation of ones we have so we do get fresh input.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tylerdj
Isn't that exactly what ls1tech is for?
x2 on that.

You know what I thought would be good is to have 1 page here for all sticky's, write-ups & how to's.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ls1tech has some great how to's, when you can find them... It takes a while sometimes to find the right words to search, then find what you're looking for in the pages and pages of results.

I think this is a great idea. It'd help a lot. It'd be nice to go to one site (or section on Tech), search, and look through only how to's.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Texas 02 Z28
Ls1tech has some great how to's, when you can find them... It takes a while sometimes to find the right words to search, then find what you're looking for in the pages and pages of results.

I think this is a great idea. It'd help a lot. It'd be nice to go to one site (or section on Tech), search, and look through only how to's.
yeah if they wanted to give me a section on the site to organize all the how to's and keep them up to date id love to help. If not i dont mind at all running another site with everything for everyone to share. Just a good library for all enthusiests.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:27 PM

There were some great ones on here in the past, like how to remove the AIR on your car. Simple things that a lot of new people ask.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah its hard to find it on here sometimes, plus some people refuse to use th search function
Old 04-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

i think its a killer idea. i am constantly searching tons of places trying to find good write ups. u could do it in categorys or keywords, and then each hit would have a user rating. basically like a feedback thing. after ppl try the write up they vote on it they like it, post comments how they could improve it. then the user could basically find which fits there applications and base there decision on the rating of the writeup... if that makes sense.