Notices
Vehicle Classifieds This an archive of the older vehicle classifieds, please create a new listing in our Marketplace.
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (State):

Color:

Transmission:

Drivetrain:

LS Engine?:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Part Fits:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Engine:

LS Engine?:

1980 Chevrolet Malibu - LS1/4l60e ***SOLD!!!!!!!***

Old 10-14-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1980 Chevrolet Malibu - LS1/4l60e ***SOLD!!!!!!!***

Year: 1980
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Malibu
Price: $11000
Mileage: 67000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (State): NJ
Color: Blue
Transmission: Automatic
Drivetrain: Rear Wheel Drive

Up for sale is my 1980 Chevrolet Malibu classic. I purchased this car about a year ago as a completely original car from the original owner- an old lady who parked it after she could no longer drive. Before i bought it, she had stored it in her basement for 10 years. Since i completed the build in march, it has been my daily driver. I've put about 7000 miles on it with no issues. It's really an awesome daily driver that turns heads and gets attention everywhere it goes. when i built this car i was going for the "slightly aged/used sleeper look", i think i pulled it off well. as for why im selling such an awesome car? well im looking to maybe build something else. this was sort of a side project to keep me occupied. if i dont sell it ill continue to drive it and enjoy it.

here's links to the build thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...o-updated.html

and the mini-thread about the a/c system: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-solution.html

*cold start and walk around video* http://youtu.be/qr8vDJRuMy0

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. ill do my best to describe everything. im asking $11k obo, located in Northern NJ.** im not interested in any trades so please dont ask.**

Body:
1980 malibu classic
rust free, has some minor dings and dents. the paint on the roof, trunk and hood is faded (i was going for an aged "patina" and wouldnt change how it looks)

Interior:
100% original down to the bench seat and column shifter. the only "gauge" thats visible is the autometer shiftlight/digital tach mounted on the column(which is color matched to the interior so it blends in). other engine vitals are tucked away in the glove box. line lock button is also tucked away in the ashtray so when not in use it can be hidden. the stock speedo works - with the aid of a cableX conversion box that turns a signal pulse from the VSS into a mechanical output (ill admit at low speeds the speedo is erradic but over 20 mph you would have no idea) - its mounted behind the radio also hidden. the dash is mint(usually thats not the case in these cars), the door panels i replaced with some used pieces i bought off the internet. the rear panels by the 1/4 windows are pretty faded as well as the b-pillar trim. also the headliner needs to be replaced(its still there but starting to sag).

chassis/brakes:
frame is solid and rust free(normally these cars rot out in the back frame areas). suspension consists of the stock V6 springs front and back, comp 3-way adjustable shocks, belltech drop spindles up front, rear control arms are from UMI performance - solid tubular lowers with poly bushings, and adjustable uppers with heim joints, *i added a normal rear sway bar from UMI performance 2 weeks ago, the Spohn rear anti-roll bar is included* TNT raceshop driveshaft loop, and has new poly body mounts. the battery is mounted in the trunk(in the stock GM tray that was originally up front and is bolted in the spare tire well). the kill switch is hidden on the bottom of the bumper(it currently does NOT shut the engine off, its more of a theft deterrent, if you want it to kill the engine it needs to be wired differently - normally when racing i just pop the plug out of the alternator). there is an aluminum rear firewall/package tray to be NHRA legal. the brakes are stock with new GM pads/rotors/bearings and seals up front, 3inch ARP wheel studs. rear axle is an 8.5 unit from an 87 grand national with richmond 410 gears (also have 373's and 342's), moser "street" axles, stock posi unit, new bearings/seals, moser diff cover/girdle, 3inch ARP studs and stock drum brakes.

engine/trans/misc swap items:
-engine is a stock LS1 from a 2000 camaro - it was freshened up with bearings/seals. has a Pat G custom spec cam, LS6 oil pump, TSP pushrods, LS2 chain. heads are stock 243 castings (low mileage take-offs) from a 5.3 truck motor with dual valve springs from EPS and new valve seals. rockers are stock with a comp cams trunion upgrade. has all new GM headbolts/gaskets - i also repalced the cam/crank sensors and starter with new GM parts. intake is a Fast 92mm with matching Fast throttle body, 4inch Z06 MAF, 4inch tubing and highflow filter.
-trans is a freshened up 4l60e with a beast sunshell, shiftkit, new seals and clutches. has an external cooler mounted between the a/c condenser and radiator with -6AN braided lines. converter is a custom piece from Lenny @ ultimate converter concepts (flashes to 4500rpm)
-swap parts include engine mounts from BRP hotrods,hummer oil pan, tubular trans crossmember from iceman racing, hedman ceramic coated longtube headers, and a PSI conversions wiring harness. the exhaust consists of a pair of 3inch to 2.5 reducers, 2.5 x-pipe, wide band 02 sensor fitting for tuning, dynomax ultraflo mufflers and GN style tailpipes.
-the fuel system has a stock style tank with an aeromotive 340 pump inside, vette filter/regulator and -6AN lines to the stock F-body fuel rails with 42# racetronix injectors
-cooling system consists of a new F-body radiator, F-body fans and shroud, new GM water pump, new upper/lower radiator and heater hoses.

Misc:
-working heat and air conditioning - the a/c system uses an R4 style compressor (new from GM) with a holley conversion bracket. the condenser and lines are from an 80's cutlass (new from rock-auto). a/c is controlled through the PCM like it would be in a camaro (PCM turns the fans on, shuts the compressor off @WOT, etc) on the hottest day here in NJ it blew a chilly 43* @ the vents. heat works just as well.

-radio, well, it doesnt really have one. haha

wheels/tires:
i have about 3 sets of wheels for this car. currently is has a set of "faux" steel wheels - theyre actually weld draglites painted body color with dog-dish hubcaps. 15x3.5 up front with nexen front runners, 15x8 in back with 275/50 MT radials (also have a set of matching steel wheels with regular street tires for the back). i also have a set of centerline telstars (no tires) that also come with.

a few pics(theres also plenty in the links posted above)

most recent:

Had a few requests for pictures of the the paint on the roof, hood and trunklid so here they are:

Last edited by lt4malibu; 11-10-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice clean setup. glws, i have been wanting to do something similar for years, but with a 2 door LTD and whipple ford
Old 10-15-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

thanks
Old 10-16-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

also forgot to add:

the car weighs 3500lbs with a driver and pulls 18-22mpg combined city/hwy (ive gotten as good as 26mpg on a long trip).
Old 10-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see you went to the track...any times?
Old 11-02-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

bump for friday, i have dyno sheets and timeslips - will give that info to those with serious interest
Old 11-02-2012, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh my God I love this car
Old 11-03-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

bump for added pictures and info.

also:
- has current NJ state inspection good till September of 2013.
- i swapped out the Spohn anti-roll for a UMI sway bar, the anti-roll comes with the car.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:18 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I almost died in a car like that, then that same car while I was not in it went through the living room of someones house and yet, no major injuries just major charges and the end of that Mali

Bump for a badass car. Slick wheel/tire set up
Old 11-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Launching!

This thing is awesome.. Trades? (Boosted DD NA Miata + cash?)
Old 11-05-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

sorry not looking for trades, already have another project to start working on soon.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Teching In

What did you have to do to get the GM centers to work on the Welds? They look great.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

Made some special adapters
Old 11-06-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet baby jesus I want this. I signed up on maliburacing.com around 01-02 and prowl the site like a stalker looking for a clean malibu.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for the kind words, the car is definately pretty unique and gets alot of attention. ive had alot of PM's and a few phone calls so hopefully it goes to a good home. IMO the best part is this could be turned into pretty much anything from its current state, wether it be a pro-touring type deal or more for a dragstrip setup - of course you could just leave it alone too
Old 11-06-2012, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice ride...is the GN in the back of the shop the new project??
Old 11-06-2012, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tta656
Nice ride...is the GN in the back of the shop the new project??
its a project, but not mine. waiting for parts to put a new 3.8 together.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

bump for added video.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice Malibu, GL with sale
Old 11-07-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

thanks