Notices
Vehicle Classifieds This an archive of the older vehicle classifieds, please create a new listing in our Marketplace.
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (State):

Color:

Transmission:

Drivetrain:

LS Engine?:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Part Fits:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Engine:

LS Engine?:

1996 Trans Am bone stock

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 1996 Trans Am bone stock

I need to sell my car. Getting a different job that will have me driving around more. And i don't want to put Houston traffic miles on her.

1996 Trans Am, LT1/T56, bone stock, all original except it has 2002 camaro wheels and drilled/slotted rotors because i had gift cards and credit at summit so got the brake package.

I'll give you the history that was given to me, plus what I've done. I'm the 2nd owner, just under 110k miles. Previous owner got it for his son brand new for graduating. He became a total ****, drugs, theft, blah blah, so he took the car away from him and parked it. Supposedly drove it once in awhile, but mostly sat in his backyard uncovered. So the sun did is damage. Cracked the dash cap, warped the dash, and dried out the seats, faded the paint and clear coat. Previous owner started fixing it up, was planning to fully restore it, but got terminally sick and was selling off all his stuff to pay for meds and treatment. Sad deal.

So, i got the car from him, had some extra wheels with decent tires, replaced the optispark unit, water pump, plugs and wires, coil, and have been slowly cleaning everything else up. Fixed the t-top leaks, replaced heater core and flow valve, almost all coolant hoses, she's running great.

Next on the chopping block is the ac system. It needs a compressor, and the line coming off the condenser. My plan is a total replacement of all components. Total price is about 400$, then the freon. That's what had led me here.

Should i sell it as is now, and cut my losses, or continue putting more work into it. I'll never get what i put into it, and not many people will buy it simply because she doesn't look pretty. Even though she's mechanically am 8 out of 10, everyone likes form over function.

As it sits, my bottom dollar is $3500 for the car. I cannot go any lower because i feel that's disrespecting the Firebird legacy! Ha! But, in reality, i have much more into it, but that's where in comfortable taking the loss.

Now, it seems i could get more if i part it out, and sit on parts until they're needed. I don't mind doing this, but need to have the motor and transmission sold before i tear down the rest.

If i do the ac, I'm going to have to keep the car. That's to much of money to put into that car to just help get it sold. Not worth spending 500$ to just get my asking price.

I figure this being a 2 owner car, and unmolested should make it a bit more valuable. It's ready for any mods, it's bone stock, never been tampered with. I did add the SLP fan switch just because. Other than that, she's bone stock.

So, as it sits, price is $3500 firm. If i fix the ac, in going to increase the price for half of what everything cost. If i don't sell the car before my first 2 checks at my new job, I'm just gonna keep it and fix it up. Probably will still sell the motor and get into an LSx of some type.

Place holder for pictures. Photobucket is not cooperating.

Last edited by demonsmokr; 06-23-2016 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Need to add pictures.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 5 cars and go through the same thing all the time. We constantly buy and sell used cars. It is a costly but fun hobby.

IMO I would stop dumping money into it. You are not going to make it back.

For example, if similar cars to yours are worth $3000 in decent working order, and you do $1000 to fix the air conditioning - you are not going to get $4000 for the car. You will get $3000 and a car that is easier to sell. I am going to go for the car that needs the least amount of work. Of course the value of your car is different from those numbers but it is just for an example.

I always look for the least modified, unmolested cars. I bought a near bone stock 1996 Z28 that was maybe $1000 more than it was really worth but paid the price because it has essentially had nothing done to it. Personally, I like that. It is a blank canvas.

I can't speak for your area but where I am the more that has been done to a car it seems the longer they take to sell. The bone stock cars that have been maintained are gone quick.

I had my eye on a 2000 black on black Corvette that was low miles, original owner, bone stock, and maintained. It was priced a little high but I think he sold it within 2 hours of putting it on Kijiji. There are a lot of modified Vettes similar that have been on there for months. A lot of it is timing, too.

Quick Reply: 1996 Trans Am bone stock