Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

LSX drop

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 04:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSX drop

how legal would it b to pull out the ls1 n drop a ls6 or maybe lsx 454 (straight from GM, w all emissions) in the bird. whats the law say bout that here in cali?? bc i hav a feeling the ls1 w 90kmi+ wont take my abuse for much longer so it eithr rebuild this puppy to specs to say **** emissions n legality or upgrade brand new no worries. so far what ive heard is if the engines gona b replaced its got to be the same displacement, of course meet emissions requirements n basically has to b an engine that was made for that vehicle.. but isnt lsx all the same class?is that a way around it. whats the law? what have yall done??
Old 03-08-2009, 04:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to know this also...

I'd imagine, if you kept all your paperwork and emissions on there, you'd be fine... but then again, we are talking about California
Old 03-08-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

An LS6 shouldnt be a problem unless you install a bigger cam. IMO if you install an LSX 454 with a small enough cam to pass smog, its a waste of alot of money.

Arc00TA has an LS6 with a 224/224 cam and made 422rwhp and 402 rwtq.Ofcourse he has longtubes but its still pretty good power.

If it were me id say fuc* it, swap in the motor you want make awesome power, and pay a little extra ever couple years....thats what I do.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
If it were me id say fuc* it, swap in the motor you want make awesome power, and pay a little extra ever couple years....thats what I do.
now thats motivation my biggest fear is my car being towed when the cops find it and everythings illegal, now that would b a total waste of money..
Old 03-10-2009, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

For the swap to be legal that motor had to be offered in your type of vehicle in that year. So the only way it'll be worthwhile and still be legal in an upgrade is if u take a v6 bird and throw an ls1/ls6 in there with all smog equipment and all of that crap. With that said if this isn't your only vehicle my vote goes for the bigger motor
Old 03-10-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can look at your emissions sticker under your hood and as long as you keep all the factory emissions that are on that sticker and you pass the sniffer it is legal. No long tube headers though. I heard the ls7 factory manifolds flow good though so they should be legal as long as they have the a.i.r fittings. If it was done you would want to definitely pay a little more and go with 427 ci+ since you cant get away with headers and big cam.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Heck I think I will try and get a look at some shorty headers stamp a carb ID on the LT's I want and use the carb ID i have from granatelli and say my car is legit if I ever get pulled over.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TurbopigB4C
You can look at your emissions sticker under your hood and as long as you keep all the factory emissions that are on that sticker and you pass the sniffer it is legal. No long tube headers though. I heard the ls7 factory manifolds flow good though so they should be legal as long as they have the a.i.r fittings. If it was done you would want to definitely pay a little more and go with 427 ci+ since you cant get away with headers and big cam.
ls7 manifolds dont have air injection fittings, and there is no way they would fit a f-body without alot of modifications
Old 03-10-2009, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It doesn't have to be the same displacement. Read below..

Originally Posted by z28gsxr
For the swap to be legal that motor had to be offered in your type of vehicle in that year. So the only way it'll be worthwhile and still be legal in an upgrade is if u take a v6 bird and throw an ls1/ls6 in there with all smog equipment and all of that crap. With that said if this isn't your only vehicle my vote goes for the bigger motor
No, it's much easier to take an LS1 and throw an LS6 in there than it is to throw an LS1 or LS6 into a V6 Bird. Ask me how I would know.

Originally Posted by TurbopigB4C
You can look at your emissions sticker under your hood and as long as you keep all the factory emissions that are on that sticker and you pass the sniffer it is legal. No long tube headers though.
The law for engine swaps states that it the donor engine has to be of the same class (passenger car, not TRUCK/Bus/Utility, etc.), of the same year or newer than the receiving vehicle, and maintain all emissions equipment that was on the donor vehicle the engine came with from the factory. If you have any more questions just call a Smog Referee station.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

I didn't mean same displacement. I just meant that I was under the impression that it had to be a motor offered for your vehicle. Better example would be thirdgens since there are so many motor options. you have a 90 RS camaro with a 305 TBI you can take one out of a 90+ Camaro with a 350 tpi etc.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZexGX
The law for engine swaps states that it the donor engine has to be of the same class (passenger car, not TRUCK/Bus/Utility, etc.), of the same year or newer than the receiving vehicle, and maintain all emissions equipment that was on the donor vehicle the engine came with from the factory. If you have any more questions just call a Smog Referee station.
Zex is right here, for instance you can take a '09 ZR1 (LS9) motor/comp/and all emissions equipment and place it inyour f-body. Although remember that its not just an engine swap the zr1 manifolds/cats would need to be in the exact same location as they were on the original car, i.e. you cant modify the manifolds to fit the f-body.

So moral is that more than likely if you tried to do a legit documented engine swap, it would be more money than its worth IMO
Old 03-10-2009, 07:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep. Smog legal swaps in F-bodies are more than they're worth, unless you're doing something like a V6 to a V8, but a V8 to V8 cops are less likely to notice it as being modified if they check the VIN. For RX-7's they're totally worth it.

Originally Posted by z28gsxr
I didn't mean same displacement. I just meant that I was under the impression that it had to be a motor offered for your vehicle. Better example would be thirdgens since there are so many motor options. you have a 90 RS camaro with a 305 TBI you can take one out of a 90+ Camaro with a 350 tpi etc.
There are plenty of smog legal RX-7s with Ford and Chevy engines. Just has to be from the same category of vehicle (i.e. you can swap passenger car to passenger car, truck to truck, car to truck, but not truck to car)

Quick Reply: LSX drop