Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI
View Poll Results: What springs to use on my Daily Driver in So. Cal.???
Strano
77.78%
Eibach Pro-Kit
11.11%
Eibach Sportline
0%
H&R
11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Help with Springs for DD

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Springs for DD

So I wanted to post this question in our section because we all drive the freeways down here...and yes I have tried the search option. What springs should I run on my 2002 Trans Am WS6 that I daily drive from the I.E. to O.C.? My current suspension setup is Hotchkis Springs (which I bought used) mounted on Tockico HP struts & shocks. I also have an Edelbrock adjustable panhard bar, and BMR tubular rear control arms. My car sits pretty low (for having 1" springs), and it rides like I have no suspension at all on the freeway. I am running 18" Weld Racing Forged Wheels with 275/35/18 BFG tires.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Strano springs are supposedly some of the best springs out there. But that's for performance, don't know how they are on ride quality. Personally as long as it will help me hook, I don't care what a suspension mod does for my ride quality. That's why I have poly everything and I'm about to have full suspension.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Don't get me wrong...I like the performance. But I have to drive my car to work 2 to 3 days a week in Orange County. It rides like a truck, but I can turn a 90 degree at 90 mph with the current setup and stay planted to the street. But my car is going to rattle itself apart & my back will need surgery. lol
Old 04-07-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SoCal WS6
Don't get me wrong...I like the performance. But I have to drive my car to work 2 to 3 days a week in Orange County. It rides like a truck, but I can turn a 90 degree at 90 mph with the current setup and stay planted to the street. But my car is going to rattle itself apart & my back will need surgery. lol
LOL, I drive my M6 car to work and back everyday in OC from Fullerton to Aliso Viejo. I deleted my AC and heater, I have a poly trans mount, soon to be poly motor mounts, and about to have full suspension installed; Spohn tunnel mount adj chromemoly TA, UMI adj tubular poly/rod LCA's w/ relo brackets, Spohn adj poly/rod PHB, KYB adj shocks, Strano springs, BMR 32mm/22mm sways w/ poly bushings, UMI tubular SFC's, Hotchkis STB. We'll see how my ride quality is going to be affected.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If youre going for ride quality stay away from the eibachs. I would suggest BMR springs or Strano Springs. From what I hear they have the best combo of ride and performance.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:09 PM
10 Second Club

Your shocks are your problem. My BMR/Koni combo rides like a CTS-V
Old 04-07-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
Your shocks are your problem. My BMR/Koni combo rides like a CTS-V
What do you think about Strano/KYB's?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FYI, Just keep in mind that this is only my opinion from my experience with my cars.

Keep the springs you have, those are good springs!
Everything you have listed is either stiffer, lower or both, which is not what you need.
First, if you car still has the rear bump stop spacers on it,take them out, since
that a easy 1/2" increase in suspension travel. Free Modification!

Up front: do the "Upper Mount Mod"! you'll regain the suspension travel lost from lowering. Free Modification!
If you don't want to cut your upper mount change out your front bump stops (really stiff)with a set of softer Koni bump stop , or Ground Control softer bump stops.
Shocks: Up front get a set SLP bilsteins, Edelbrock IAS, or Koni SAs
For the rear A set of Edelbrock IAS, Bilstein sports for a 3rd generation camaro/firebird, or Koni SAs for a 3rd, or 4th generation camaro/firebird.

Tire pressure 30-32 psi

If you don't mind driving about 300 miles, I'll help put on any part you get!

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 04-07-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
What do you think about Strano/KYB's?
IMO, KYB's, Bilstein's, etc. are ok only for stock spring rate.

If youre going to increase the spring rate (Strano's, BMR, or basically any other lowering spring) you're going to need a shock with more dampening to retain a comfortable ride, which no shock besides Koni currently offers.

fwiw, my car hooks alot better on the street with my Koni's/BMR now than it did with my QA1s and stock springs and it rides VERY nice. It was actually much more comfortable after the Koni's/BMR than with the stock springs and QA1s
Old 04-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Your shocks are your problem.
Strano even combos his springs with Tokico HP's. Sam seems to think that they are okay to go with.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SoCal WS6
Strano even combos his springs with Tokico HP's. Sam seems to think that they are okay to go with.
No he doesnt. He says over and over and over again that no shock besides Koni can properly dampen his springs, BMRs, or basically any other lowering spring.

Can it be done? Yes. Do alot of people package them? Yes. Will it be better than a stock shock? Yes.Will there be a lack of dampening for a high rate spring? Yes. Will your ride quality suffer therefore? Yes.

They are better than having stock shocks, but I guarantee your ride quality will improve quite a bit with the Koni's.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

IMO, KYB's, Bilstein's, etc. are ok only for stock spring rate.

If youre going to increase the spring rate (Strano's, BMR, or basically any other lowering spring) you're going to need a shock with more dampening to retain a comfortable ride, which no shock besides Koni currently offers.

fwiw, my car hooks alot better on the street with my Koni's/BMR now than it did with my QA1s and stock springs and it rides VERY nice. It was actually much more comfortable after the Koni's/BMR than with the stock springs and QA1s
I'm looking for performance, don't care about ride quality whatsoever and I don't think I can afford the Koni's right now.

OP, sorry about the Hijack.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Bilstein's are built better and they have a bigger piston which damps smaller motions better, they also aren't much more money. Note that the Bilstein's I recommend are NOT the SLP version. That's for stock springs.

For lowering springs, the same is still true, but Tokico and Bilstein don't have the level of damping they need to control higher rate and shorter travel springs.

The thing is the Tokico's, while cheaper than Bilstein aren't *that* much less, and the Bilstein is a better shock in most every way. If Tokico's were $200 for a set of 4, that would change things a bit, but they aren't.
Here is just one example of Sam stating that neihter the Bilstein's nor the Tokico's have enough dampening to control lowering springs properly.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:44 PM
10 Second Club

I'm looking for performance, don't care about ride quality whatsoever and I don't think I can afford the Koni's right now.

OP, sorry about the Hijack.
Performance is cornering also... If you want traction only, i'd go for the Strange drag shocks. For the OP, a lowered stance, great handling and a nice ride, i really dont think he has much chocie but the Koni's unfortunately.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Koni's are really good shocks(for handling), but are they the best shocks for ride quality; IMO No! Been there, done that!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Performance is cornering also... If you want traction only, i'd go for the Strange drag shocks. For the OP, a lowered stance, great handling and a nice ride, i really dont think he has much chocie but the Koni's unfortunately.
What about best balance of traction and cornering for the money?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:49 PM
10 Second Club

What about best balance of traction and cornering for the money?
Best balance would probably be Koni but I know you dont want to spend that. OP said his Tokico's handled well, how is traction with them? Youmight look into those since ride quality isnt a concern
Old 04-07-2009, 12:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Koni's are really good shocks(for handling), but are they the best shocks for ride quality; IMO No! Been there, done that!
I'm curious to hear more about your air suspension. What kind of a spring rate do you usually run? Did you have the Koni's on with your air ride setup?
Old 04-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Here is just one example of Sam stating that neihter the Bilstein's nor the Tokico's have enough dampening to control lowering springs properly.

Thanks for that statement. I thought I read differently on a posting in the suspension section. My mistake.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

No,A few set of shocks back I had Koni DAs front and rear, really great handling, but ride quality was from OK to terrible (except on smooth roads).
And I did spend months trying the rebound an compression dampening at different settings.

Right now I'm running Edelbrock ISA shocks Front, and rear.
I don't know the spring rate of the Air springs, but my normal air psi is 55.
Handles great, rides great!

Quick Reply: Help with Springs for DD