Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

will this cause me to fail smog?

Old 05-20-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default will this cause me to fail smog?

my SES light is NOT on, but my OBDII reader displays a P0158 code (O2 sensor high voltage).

will this cause me to fail the smog test?
Old 05-20-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes... drive it long and hard to reset the computer.. even though the ses is off. u still have the code in the history. after u reset a code u r suppose to drive it for some miles to really clear it... and before u go do the test make sure u get the cats hot as hell
Old 05-20-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i cleared it with my OBDII scanner at my base hobby shop, drove home and it was back. tuning the rear O2s out would eliminate this all together right?
Old 05-20-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

P0158 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) circuit high voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2

That means that you have a circuit problem with your rear passenger side o2 sensor. I would inspect the wires for burns or tears. If it looks good, you might have a bad sensor. You could try just replacing it and see if the code disappears.
AFAIK, tuning out he rear o2's and smog stuff will pass the smog test, but don't quote me on it.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
P0158 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) circuit high voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2

That means that you have a circuit problem with your rear passenger side o2 sensor. I would inspect the wires for burns or tears. If it looks good, you might have a bad sensor. You could try just replacing it and see if the code disappears.
AFAIK, tuning out he rear o2's and smog stuff will pass the smog test, but don't quote me on it.
i know what's causing the codes, i have O2 sims in there right now. i just want to delete them all together since i'm putting my long tubes in once i pass smog. thanks for the advice though
Old 05-21-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you tune out the 02's it will pass smog.

Smog doesnt look for any equiptment, what it looks for is 'not readys'. If its tuned out, it cannot display 'not ready', therefore you will pass.

SD tunes are great examples, no MAF, no O2's plus if you have no AIR or EGR... but passes because there are no 'not readys'.

And i dont remember the breakdowns, but some years can have more not readys then others. I think (with f-bodies) 97-00 are allowed 2 (3 will fail) and 01+ are allowed 1 (2 will fail).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: will this cause me to fail smog?