Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

alignment specs

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default alignment specs

hey guys im going to take my car to alignment today, i wanted to do a little toe out, since i want to take corners a little faster, is there some specs for caster, camber and toe? i dont want to wear out the tires crazy because this is my daily driver, i would like just something thats better then stock
Old 06-16-2009, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ae13291
hey guys im going to take my car to alignment today, i wanted to do a little toe out, since i want to take corners a little faster, is there some specs for caster, camber and toe? i dont want to wear out the tires crazy because this is my daily driver, i would like just something thats better then stock
Yep. Here's a guide:

Originally Posted by FTV6
Camber:
For street use, anything from -.5 to -1.5 camber is acceptable. Meaning, no evil handling characteristics, just progressively more grip as you head towards the -1.5 number (not all cars can get that high, I ran out of adjustment at -1.3). So, for street use (mild) we usually recommend -.5 to -.7 camber (as high as -1.0 for an "aggressive" street setup, people autocross on -1.3). We suggest a -.7 as a very good compromise for even better tire wear.

Toe:
For street use, 0 toe is good. Toe out makes the car more responsive (it wants to turn), because toe out makes it slightly unstable (not bad at all, think of balancing a ruler, standing straight up on your hand, it naturally wants to fall over, my car naturally wants to turn). 0 toe is a good compromise for street use. It makes the car slightly more responsive than it is now and it is still extremely stable.

Castor:
For street use we recommend +4.5, it keeps the steering from being too heavy and allows for a decent amount of negative camber while turning (go turn your wheels all the way to one side, notice that they are both "tilted" the same way, that's castor at work). We would not advise going lower than 4.3 nor higher than 5.0 and we really prefer 4.5 (as do many people). At 4.5 you'll have a stock steering feel, not too light and not heavier.

Mild Street Alignment:
0 Toe
-.5 Camber
+4.5 Castor

Slightly More Aggressive:
0 Toe
-.7 Camber
+4.5 Castor

Even More Aggressive:
0 Toe
-1.0 Camber
4.5 Castor

The Full Race Setup
1/32" to 3/32" Toe Out
-1.3 to -1.5 Camber (whatever max is after the castor is set at 4.5)
+4.5 Castor

Each step will be slightly worse on tire wear and will be slightly more responsive and make more total grip than the one before it. For street use, any of the first 3 work great. If you really like to beat on it around cloverleaf type exit ramps, we suggest that you go with the 3rd setup. If you are just looking for something for a cruiser and weekend driver, the 1st or 2nd are both good setup. The 4th setup will make the car very responsive, but it may hunt on uneven pavement and be "darty" at times.
On stock height springs, I had mine adjusted as close as possible to "The Full Race Setup". I couldn't get it to that exactly at the time, because my upper and lower A-arms needed to be adjustable. It wore down the inside tread pretty quick on a 3,000 mile roadtrip. After I lowered it a little, I have it at "Even More Aggressive" and it works fine for me. Steering doesn't feel quite as light as "The Full Race Setup" but it still handles great. You'd probably be happy with the first or second option in the above list. "The Full Race Setup" worked well for me on daily driving the streets because I take corners extremely hard... haha

Last edited by ZexGX; 06-16-2009 at 04:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Matt Miller (07-01-2023)
Old 06-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Banned

hey Zex thanks so much dude, i looked at the stickies but i guess not hard enough. i just came back from the alignment shop, i literally printed the info you posted and i took it with me. seems like they wanted extra just because i have a camaro for some reason? so im gonna go find another shop. thanks 4 da info tho
Old 06-16-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

hey Zex thanks so much dude, i looked at the stickies but i guess not hard enough. i just came back from the alignment shop, i literally printed the info you posted and i took it with me. seems like they wanted extra just because i have a camaro for some reason? so im gonna go find another shop. thanks 4 da info tho
Just got my car aligned today. Very nice shop called Clark's House of Suspension in Lake Forest. That was the only option I had for my car, being as low as I am. They have a huge pit that they use to do alignments, zero clearance issues.
I recently installed a new rack to replace my bad one with lots of free play, so I needed an alignment.
He adjusted both chamber and toe. I told him I wanted ~1* negative camber. Car drives great so far. I'm not used to having the steering wheel straight and not having the car pull to one direction.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Banned

^^^ good **** dude, do u have a spec sheet of what he did? the only thing you wanted changed was the camber?
Old 06-16-2009, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

^^^ good **** dude, do u have a spec sheet of what he did? the only thing you wanted changed was the camber?
I have a spec sheet for mine. It was a little off after the lowering spring install, toe was messed up, etc. so it shows when they first put it on the rack, and after they're finished. Make sure to ask for one.

I'm not sure what the GM alignment specs are but you'll want to stick with the three numbers listed (0 toe. x camber, 4.5 caster). Since you DD the car and are worried about tire wear you should use one of the first two least aggressive settings...

I'm going to be raising the nose up on mine a little bit since it's adjustable ride height, and taking it back to get it realigned for free. SOB is scraping everywhere. Can't pull into Vatozone even at an angle without scraping the SFCs!
Old 06-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZexGX
I have a spec sheet for mine. It was a little off after the lowering spring install, toe was messed up, etc. so it shows when they first put it on the rack, and after they're finished. Make sure to ask for one.

I'm not sure what the GM alignment specs are but you'll want to stick with the three numbers listed (0 toe. x camber, 4.5 caster). Since you DD the car and are worried about tire wear you should use one of the first two least aggressive settings...

I'm going to be raising the nose up on mine a little bit since it's adjustable ride height, and taking it back to get it realigned for free. SOB is scraping everywhere. Can't pull into Vatozone even at an angle without scraping the SFCs!
geez scraping SFC's? you have boxed ones im guessing? what springs are you running dude?
Old 06-17-2009, 01:04 AM
12 Second Club

geez scraping SFC's? you have boxed ones im guessing? what springs are you running dude?
Nope, UMI tubular 3 points. The rear tubes going to the trans tunnel brace hang low (you can see them in the pic just forward of the door handle). I have stock LT1 springs in the rear with LT1 isolator on passenger side and hose mod on driver side, with the Edelbrock Performer IAS shock/coilover combo up front.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

You're still not as low as me Lee.

Drove the car around a lot today, drives great.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:05 AM
Banned

damm pretty low, well im gonna have to post mine up now, i think mine is lower hahaha, seems like your SFC's are low, well its better to have that scrape then something like the exhaust.

here are mine i dont have much of a scraping problem tho, except the wind deflector

Last edited by ae13291; 06-17-2009 at 04:11 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Junkie

There's a forum member (cntrmnt02ss) that works at Firestone in La Puente.

He posted a thread last month about hooking up Fbody people with alignments.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

damm pretty low, well im gonna have to post mine up now, i think mine is lower hahaha, seems like your SFC's are low, well its better to have that scrape then something like the exhaust.

here are mine i dont have much of a scraping problem tho, except the wind deflector

I'm pretty sure I've got you beat.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
There's a forum member (cntrmnt02ss) that works at Firestone in La Puente.

He posted a thread last month about hooking up Fbody people with alignments.
thanks for the post, ill pm him right now. thanks man
Old 06-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I'm pretty sure I've got you beat.
lets see dude!
Old 06-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah... i'll for sure hook you guys up... i put it to whatever specs you guys want.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cntrmnt02ss
yeah... i'll for sure hook you guys up... i put it to whatever specs you guys want.

You should print those out and keep them handy

I'll probably take mine down in a few weeks. Need to sell of some more stuff first
Old 06-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

i think i will, i just broke my f-body camber/caster tool too! lol! no worries though, lifetime warranty... another one is on the way
Old 06-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Banned

where is el monte located?
Old 06-17-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Junkie

10 & 605 freeways. But I think his place is in La Puente, about 10 mins south east of EM.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

i live about 2 blocks from irwindale speedway, but the shop is in la puente, in between the 10 and 60 fwys.

Quick Reply: alignment specs