Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Trying to find a member with an 80's String Ray Vette that rolled it.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to find a member with an 80's String Ray Vette that rolled it.

I was looking on Criags List this morning and found an interesting listing, LS1 85 Trans Am.

I jumped when i saw 4000obo.

I saw that it was a 5 speed which threw up a flag as did other items. I talked to him and he is a nice young guy, told me he bought the motor from a guy in phoenix about 6 months ago who rolled his sting ray vette. The guy told him it was an LS1, I popped the hood, TPI Manifold.

I went for a ride, its not stock feeling. I thought this might be the Chevelle LS6 454 but it looks way too small... so I looked for a block code on the block passanger side, nothing but a bare metal spot (I even cleaned it).

SO I looked on the back, we found K037 and then GM5.0LG. Asking a few old hot rodders I was told there should be more numbers around it, we cleaned it off and nothing. They told us the GM5.0LG means its a 305 out of a Monte Carlo low compression.

Being no other numbers this means its possible its a crate motor and someone built it... why would you put a low compression motor of this size in a Sting Ray? So maybe it was built... either way though this is not an LS1 like the guy says he was told.

So since it seems LS1tech guys seem to know others around them I wanted to see if anyone knows where this came from. The guy is not looking to cause a problem he just wants to know exactly what he has so he can sell it, I am interested in the shell for my own projects, but if I buy the car I want to know what I have.

Thanks guys.

CN: Guy bought a motor from a Phoenix seller who supposedly had it in his 80's Vette and rolled it.
Sold it as an LS1
Kid trying to sell Trans Am he put it in, now knows its not an LS1
Old 06-29-2009, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the smallest motor ever in a stingray was a 327. Usually a 327 Fuelie if im not mistaken. 80s Stingrays only had 350s i believe, as the Stingray ended in 82 with the crossfire infection. Hope this helps, but if it is a 305 it was not in a Stingray
Old 06-29-2009, 10:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since there are no numbers on it to hint vin or car this was bought crate and put in and we know people will do odd things, as I said above he could have bought it to build which would make sense buying the cheapest one, even bored it out to what he wanted, but we can find no other markets I looked for an hour.

I just wanted to help the kid, its not stock I can feel that but we know it did not come in the vette and most importantly he obviously was lied too its in no way an LS1.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trying to find a member with an 80's String Ray Vette that rolled it.