Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

NEWS: GM beginning to backpedal on Lutz' G8-turning-Caprice comments?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool NEWS: GM beginning to backpedal on Lutz' G8-turning-Caprice comments?

Originally Posted by AutoBlog.Com
When General Motors' Bob Lutz talks, we listen. The reason, of course, is that he always gives us something good to write. Over the weekend, we told you about an interview Lutz had with Automobile Magazine where the Maximum One said that the G8 will live on as a Chevrolet Caprice. Lutz's comments looked like a sure thing to us, as it's hard to misinterpret these words.
"The last time we looked at [the G8], we decided that we would continue to import it as a Chevrolet. It is kind of too good to waste."
Just a few days later, Blogger Bob sounded a bit less certain about the future of the G8 as Chevrolet. On the company's Fast Lane Blog, Lutz simply said "we're studying the feasibility of bringing (the G8) in as a Caprice for both law enforcement and the public." That doesn't sound nearly as certain as the Automobile interview.

Kicking Tires reportedly received a similar statement from GM brass, saying "As part of its reinvention, General Motors is exploring every opportunity of effectively utilizing its global portfolio of vehicles, facilities and talent. While this exploration includes the possibility of extending imports of Holden vehicles (such as the recent Pontiac G8) to North America, no decision has been made at this time."

We're hoping this is corporate speak for 'We're going to do what Bob says, but we just don't want to promise anything just yet.' Turning the G8 into a Chevrolet model looks to us like the cheapest possible way to keep a terrific vehicle available in the States, and with the Bowtie's significantly larger dealer network, maybe GM can finally figure out how to turn a profit with with the awesome Aussie.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/14/g...rice-comments/
Old 07-15-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hope they do keep it because the g8 is to good of a car to waste...
Old 07-15-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea it's a cool car but i think they only sold like 6,000 of the v8 model for 2008, i doubt they will keep that with all the tree huggers paying the bills
Old 07-15-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

a big reason for the low sales is the lame *** dealerships. I remember when they first came out, they guarded them like fort knox. the dealers need to look at them as cars that they are trying to sell rather than a car show (do not touch mentality).
Old 07-16-2009, 01:41 AM
Launching!

chevy needs this car, the reason why they were'nt selling before cause it was a pontiac. Put a chevy badge on it and watch what happens.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fast01z28
a big reason for the low sales is the lame *** dealerships. I remember when they first came out, they guarded them like fort knox. the dealers need to look at them as cars that they are trying to sell rather than a car show (do not touch mentality).
Thats definitely true. A while back I was thinking about leasing a G8 GT, went to the dealership and when I wanted a test drive the salesman told me "this cars got alot of power, i wont let you take it on a joy ride". This was after about an hour of talking numbers and what not, so needless to say after that I told the sales guy to go **** himself.

I do see the G8 doing well under the chevy brand, particularly with law enforcement. It would be a great alternative to the charger and crown vic, but thats only if the deparments want to spend money.

Quick Reply: NEWS: GM beginning to backpedal on Lutz' G8-turning-Caprice comments?