Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Possibly Relocating to Las Vegas any input??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possibly Relocating to Las Vegas any input??

Well my wife may have found a good job in Vegas that will make more than we both do right now.

We just wanted to get some ideas on how you like it or dont like it.
I know its going to be HOT but we can deal with that since we wont have to deal with snow.

We would be coming from NE Ohio with 2 children 2 and 4.

What are some good areas to look at to live? The job she may get it with University Medical Centers. we would probably rent for a year before we just bought something.

How is the cost of living and what not? How are the schools? How bad are the illegal immigrants?

Thanks for any info you can give.
Josh
Old 07-16-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never lived there year round, but have had extended stays and have traveled there monthly for work for a few years.

Never had a problem with illegal immigrants, but I can't imagine how that would be at the top of any list. If them coming up to your vehicle at the home depot is an inconvenience/nuisance, far worse are the beggars and those people who ask for donations for abused women's shelters outside of Target and stores like that who look like women beaters themselves.

I like Summerlin personally.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I worked at umc many years ago. My wife still works in medical, now for united health care. I ve lived pretty much all over town, and Ive settled and like the south east the best. Commonly known as green valley, the travel access to get places is just better. I live just south of the airport. Its popular because of new building, just like summerlin. The difference is, that it also has alot of larger stand alone residences. My place is 1 acre, on a street about 1500 ft long with 5 houses, you dont find that in summerlin.

Its pretty hard times now, buying in a year will probably be about perfect. Deffinately rent for a year. Cost of living to me is low, esspecially if I compare to other places when I travel.

I also have kids, 3 and 6 and there is a lot to do.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Teching In

i love las vegas

i was born and raised in southern california, and vegas can't compare to that. but ive been here for a long time now, and its definitely home.

it might be hot in the summer, but the weather the rest of the year makes it worth it imo

and theres TONS to do as well
Old 07-16-2009, 12:21 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys.
THe green Valley area about how far would that be to where the University Med Center is?

I wasnt worried about immigrants just one thing i have seen some people on different boards complain about.

I have only been to vegas once on a vacation and was only on the strip so i wont call that a good idea of vegas.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

I am over in Lake Las Vegas and it's one of the nicest areas to live in, but it's isolated.

Green Valley is a very nice place too and is in a nice location for commuting pretty much anywhere.

Check us out at www.lvcfo.org and you can probably get some better infomation on where to go, and where our meets are of course
Old 07-16-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

stay away from alphabet streets and streets name after dead political figures. and only go to north vegas for the nellis air show.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

advice,... drink lots of water and sunblock
Old 07-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Teching In

I have lots of friends there that are officers for LVMPD & Henderson PD. I would live in Henderson if possible. All you really need to survive is a good security door, large dog, as many guns as possible to defend your home (home invasion is kind of big there), and sunscreen. O...and one other biggie...stay of the strip as much as possible & don't go North of the Stratosphere.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:11 PM
11 Second Club

Well i have guns and my Shepher will be about 100lbs so i think im covered there.

Speaking of gun laws, how are they in Nevada? Ohio is pretty good about guns. I have an Ohio and PA CCW permit. DOes NV do a CCW?
Old 07-16-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

here is a place my parents are renting http://serverone.vegas4rent.com/asp/...ropertyID=2664

I live here full time right now and go to school, and I am the only one on my street so if you like peace and quiet, this would be the place for you.

And if you are into riding bikes or quads, there are trails right behind the house that lead to the dunes, the lake, and the desert.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks we have to see where things go for the wife first.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

fyi, umc is just about dead center of the city. Its walking distance from my wife work. Its the "medical community" in that area. It takes my wife about 12-15 minutes in the morning and 25 minutes in the afternoon for the commute.

UMC does have lots of urgent cares though I think. My wife travels also to other locations as necessary. Greenvalley is technically henderson, but it sorta goes into las vegas. Its west henderson or south east las vegas. You wont find it on a map.

Good luck.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Teching In

illegal immigrants lol all they do is pass out those little cards for girls girls girls lol
Old 07-18-2009, 12:38 AM
Teching In

In Nevada you can own any kind of assault weapon you please (God Bless America or at least some states). Why do you think I still have friends in Las Vegas. haha
Old 07-23-2009, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

Anyone else havy any input?
Wifes interview is today.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want the low down on guns and schools, pm Bennelliwang. He has a class three I think and keeps up on al gun related items and politics both state and fed. Me, him, zombie etc all have ccw's. (Will) Bennelliwang 's wife is a teacher also. So he has the low down on the schools. I know he purposefully moved to his place based on schools. I think the highest rated school was or still is were he is at, which is green valley, actually he lives off green valley park way and the 215 freeway.

We go shooting every once in awhile too.

The henderson Multigen and henderson parks and rec has about a million things to do as well. My kids take classes all the time there. All summer its been swim classes 4 days a week. I swim with the masters, and do triathlons so were pretty active.

In the area...
1. lake mead
2. mount charleston
3. utah....sand hollow lake and dunes
4. utah skiing
5. california....dumont dunes

All that is 60-90 minute drives.

If you can take the heat (about 8 weeks a year) you ll probably like it.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QuickSilver
Anyone else havy any input?
Wifes interview is today.
Hope she does well!

Is she going for an Administrator level position or is she an RN?
Old 07-24-2009, 06:10 AM
11 Second Club

She does MRI

Quick Reply: Possibly Relocating to Las Vegas any input??