Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

'98 neon for $500 with blown head gasket. Worth it for a DD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 05:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '98 neon for $500 with blown head gasket. Worth it for a DD?

I'm looking for a DD instead of having to keep putting the miles on my SS. Buddy at work is selling his '98 neon with a leaky head gasket for $500, but may take $400. Is it even worth paying $500 and doing the repairs my self?? Is it even easy or somewhat easy to do a head gasket?? Thanks.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the head gaskets on the neons are cake! used to do them all the time in like 4 hours (complete tear down) to 2 hours (pick up and slide under)

the biggest thing to look for is a warped or cracked head, but hey can be milled are have it exchanged for fairly cheap. and always replace the t-stat when you do the gasket. a sticking t-stat and a bad cooling fan and or relay were the most common thing to cause it to overheat and blow the gaskets.

i would offer $400, because of the money you have to spend to fix the car. and then this way if you get it running and sell it. you can get most (and sometimes more?) of your $ back.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heck yea easy fix, **** id mill it just to be sure, u might even gain sum hp haha jk, naw easy as all hell but yea, if it were me id through in the whole thing radiator fan and a thermastat just to make sure you dont have to worry about it later

Quick Reply: '98 neon for $500 with blown head gasket. Worth it for a DD?