Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Extended Auomobile Warranty

Old 07-27-2009, 11:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Extended Auomobile Warranty

Recently Ive noticed the increased of advertisement for extended warranty companies. Most only require a car less than 10yrs old with less than 100k miles. They claim to cover any repairs for $0 out of pocket. I also heard that some allow you to take the car to any ASE certified shop you want. Is this true? Ive been looking for some type of warranty for my 2002 C5. Ive heard of GMPP but my car is modded so I dont know if theyll take it. I just wanna be covered in case of any future breaks. I know they dont check if its modded and I'll be able to take it to my shop if anything ever happens. Does anyone have a similar warranty or insurance to this? If so, who do you recommend? Thnx.

BTW, Im aware that there have been scams in this buisness which is why Im asking any fellow Techers for recommendations.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they don't look for mods when they take your money and insure you, you can guarantee they will when something breaks and they have to pay.

Like health insurance, they will look for a pre-existing condition so they don't have to pay. Read the contract.

Remember, these are for-profit companies. They exist for your "piece of mind" and to make money, not to help you out of a jam.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:06 PM
10 Second Club

I have a feeling youre right. My mechanic told me he has worked with one company called Western and that it went well but it was for a regular stock vehicle. One guy from Fidelis over the phone told my uncle that they rarely check the actual vehicle since they insure so many cars but I dont know if they would before a repair. Im just not sure, almost too good to be completely true.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Fidelis commercial says no vehicle inspection. But, I don't know.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93Z28rare
Im not sure but I think they check the car if the claim is large enough. Then all the months of paying would go down the drain if they reject your claim. IDK, I might just call and ask about mods to a vehicle.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i guarantee they will inspect when some happens, they will check to make sure its factory specs
Old 07-29-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 93Z28rare
tell them steve and rusty sent ya
Old 07-29-2009, 02:46 PM
EkS
On The Tree

Just like GMPP, they don't check the car before you buy the warranty. But you bet they check it once there's a claim. You think they're going to warranty a broken motor with a blower on it?
Old 07-29-2009, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hlaalu
tell them steve and rusty sent ya
Nate, If you do search on these guys you will finl tons of horror stories. I work at a dealer and anytime the service contract is called they send out an independent adjuster/inspector and they inform the service contract place of what is happening. Ive read that some companies claim bankruptcy open under a new name and there is nothing you can do. Beware of what you are purchasing.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Looks like if it breaks, your gonna have to pay out of pocket anyway Nate.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:29 PM
10 Second Club

I gues its a lost cause. I even heard some companies send rebuilt or used parts as replacements. Forget that! I'll just go forged and hopefully nothing will break for a while.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Sorry for bringing up an old thread. Had this happen once. Had a 1987 Monte Carlo Aero Coupe that bought new and bought an extended warranty. Thought the extended warranty was through GM but I was wrong. First time went to use it found out the company went BK.

Originally Posted by 8tsixt
Nate, If you do search on these guys you will finl tons of horror stories. I work at a dealer and anytime the service contract is called they send out an independent adjuster/inspector and they inform the service contract place of what is happening. Ive read that some companies claim bankruptcy open under a new name and there is nothing you can do. Beware of what you are purchasing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended Auomobile Warranty