Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Help passing emission in CO!

Old 07-31-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Help passing emission in CO!

I'm moving to Colorado soon from Texas (Denver area) and I read on the Colorado Clean Air website that all vehicles must do the whole dyno-sniffer combo. Since I have LT's and an ORY, chances are, I will fail. Bad. So what's the secret here? We have places in Texas that will pass you either under the table or they just plug in the OBD scanner (rear O2's are tuned out) and don't look under the car. I'm very worried because I'm about to be a college student and can NOT afford cats, or any other car part for that matter! Thanks for the advice in advance!
Old 07-31-2009, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you know anybody in Texas just register under their address. Students don't have to register in the state that they are in. You can stay there for years and if a cop ever asks.. You just tell them that you are a student.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Well if they have the sniffer test, either you need to buy cats or pay a bill or two to get it passed, if you have no money for either, your screwed.

Why not just leave it registered where it is currently registered?
Old 07-31-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Regular

It is going to be registered in Texas. My parents are still going to be living here. I think what plan is going to be is to drive home over the summers and have it inspected here. It shouldn't be a problem on my part, I will be driving home regardless. But does that sound like a good/bad idea to any of ya'll? It is not obnoxiously loud, so it doesn't demand attention, but it smells like a boat. So if a cop asks me, I'm a student and it is registered in Texas and no matter what I will be OK? Do I need to weld some old cat shells over my y-pipe?
Old 07-31-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kdick91
It is going to be registered in Texas. My parents are still going to be living here. I think what plan is going to be is to drive home over the summers and have it inspected here. It shouldn't be a problem on my part, I will be driving home regardless. But does that sound like a good/bad idea to any of ya'll? It is not obnoxiously loud, so it doesn't demand attention, but it smells like a boat. So if a cop asks me, I'm a student and it is registered in Texas and no matter what I will be OK? Do I need to weld some old cat shells over my y-pipe?
You should be ok i think. You're still a Texas resident and you are going to school out of state. You can keep your car registered in TX.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

Awesome! I'm just trying to think of the worst case scenario. And that is a cop looking under my car and saying "You have no cats" and saying that they are required in Texas. What should I do then? Accept a ticket and cut my losses? Haha.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kdick91
Awesome! I'm just trying to think of the worst case scenario. And that is a cop looking under my car and saying "You have no cats" and saying that they are required in Texas. What should I do then? Accept a ticket and cut my losses? Haha.
You're SOL there...
Old 07-31-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

*****. Well it's a trade-off a guess! I will just keep getting it inspected in Texas and pray for the best! Thanks for the quick advice!
Old 07-31-2009, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't have to pass their emissions laws... You are in the clear bro.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help passing emission in CO!