Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

CA members emissions and registration questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 12:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CA members emissions and registration questions

Im currently stationed in AZ. However Im looking at transfering to Travis. My car is modified and Im pretty sure that it would not pass emissions in CA.

My questions are regarding the visual portion. My car is a 2000, but has EGR removed. Would the people realize that it was supposed to have it? or could it pass for an 01? also I have long tube headers and no cats, if I were to weld cats into the pipe would I be likely to pass the visual?
Ive also heard that you arent allowed to have a modified exhaust in any way, I have duals. how big of an issue is that gonna be?

Alot of this can be avoided I think if I can keep my vehicle registered in AZ. Will California give me a hard time for having an out of state car? Even though I am military?

finally I have some questions about external mods. My tail lights, side markers and corners are all tinted. I plan on sanding down the tail lights so they are stock again, but how much hassling am I gonna get for the side and corners? My car is also tinted. Its not incrediblly dark but IIRC CA doesnt allow any tint on the door windows?

I know alot of this is gonna be at the disctretion of the officer that pulls me over, but I wanted to ask.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep you car registered in AZ and you'll be fine... I wouldn't even hassle trying to switch it to CA...

I swear all the govt. in this state wants is your money...
Old 08-05-2009, 03:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

anything past the cats are legal but really the law does state no modified exhaust but cops and test stations over look it, as long as it isn't too loud, mmhmmLM1. Takes money to pass a car,(of course a legal car).
Old 08-05-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Get FRCs. Put cats in. Make sure you at least have A.I.R. stuff plumbed.

I had LTs and TDs on my old IROC and never had a problem.

The state has implemented a system of reporting out of state cars.

There's an 800 number and a website where people can call to report a neighbors car, so I'd watch out if doing that.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/v...alifornia-fees
Old 08-06-2009, 11:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
The state has implemented a system of reporting out of state cars.

There's an 800 number and a website where people can call to report a neighbors car, so I'd watch out if doing that.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/v...alifornia-fees
That stuff pisses me off! People need to mind their own business. I could see that for someone who has their only car registered out of state but my DD is registered to CA and I HAVE to keep my car registered to my parents' house because it won't pass emissions, and if I leave it without registration I can get fined! Its a loose loose. I swear to god this world is going to hell in a handcart!
Old 08-06-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KCFormula
That stuff pisses me off! People need to mind their own business. I could see that for someone who has their only car registered out of state but my DD is registered to CA and I HAVE to keep my car registered to my parents' house because it won't pass emissions, and if I leave it without registration I can get fined! Its a loose loose. I swear to god this world is going to hell in a handcart!

True, but it pisses other people off that cars are being driven on California streets yet not paying the proper registration fees, while their home states reap the benefits of the funds.

California really needs to lose the LT/Cat relocation law. I say if the car can pass smog by reading the tail pipe emissions, then let it be!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
True, but it pisses other people off that cars are being driven on California streets yet not paying the proper registration fees, while their home states reap the benefits of the funds.
yea but it's not our fault... they really are backing us up into a corner. I'd have NO issue paying to make my car run cleaner by adding cats or doing whatever I need to do to make it pass smog. It's the visual inspection that's a joke... It's CA on fault people are registering out of state...
Old 08-06-2009, 07:41 PM
10 Second Club

hes military why would he have to register here?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
yea but it's not our fault... they really are backing us up into a corner. I'd have NO issue paying to make my car run cleaner by adding cats or doing whatever I need to do to make it pass smog. It's the visual inspection that's a joke... It's CA on fault people are registering out of state...
My car will NEVER pass smog. Leaded gas will clog cats in a mile.
BUT I have NO PROBLEM whatsoever paying a "tax" for my car not passing smog. Why not just charge a $1k a yr tax if your car doesn't pass smog? Especially since I only drive it about 200 miles a year.
Just think of all the cobra kit car homos they could collect money from!
Old 08-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

LoL @ cobra kit homos
Old 08-06-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
hes military why would he have to register here?
He doesn't, Military personnal who are not California state residents are not required to register their cars here
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...r.htm#military

My car is staying registered in Wisconsin until I escape California.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:13 AM
TECH Regular

renew your base stickers before you leave AZ. PM me and I will explain the rest.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:16 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt1 hawk
renew your base stickers before you leave AZ. PM me and I will explain the rest.
thats what i would do, lucky for me there was no emissions testing out in colorado though.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

haha any modifications are illegal here, cali sucks for that. a chp pulled me over once in one of my old trucks and told me my wheels were illegal because they increase the value of the truck and need to be properly documented at the dmv
ya cops can be **** so watch yer foot around here
Old 08-07-2009, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lowerthanyou00
haha any modifications are illegal here, cali sucks for that. a chp pulled me over once in one of my old trucks and told me my wheels were illegal because they increase the value of the truck and need to be properly documented at the dmv
ya cops can be **** so watch yer foot around here
nice thing is if you have out of state plates, they do not have jurisdiction over your car as far as mods go. Just don't break any moving violations, and they can not do **** to you.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Teching In

+1 on the base decal before leaving AZ, very important!
Old 08-10-2009, 04:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Murche
+1 on the base decal before leaving AZ, very important!
the Air Force isnt issuing base stickers anymore. Is that gonna be a big problem? or are they still doing it in CA? of so Im gonna have a problem since they dont use them here anymore

Quick Reply: CA members emissions and registration questions