Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

ABS INOP, ASR OFF, and BRAKE lights all on

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS INOP, ASR OFF, and BRAKE lights all on

Anyone get all these lights on at the same time? It happened a few weeks ago randomly, but then they turned off and now they have been on for a few days. My scanner shows no codes.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive had it happen twice with two completely different causes
1) i missed a shift went 4th to 1st and before it did too much damage i got the clutch abck in but it shook up the car and turned the lights on

2) my rears are 285/45/17 and my fronts are 245/40/17. The difference in size ***** with the computer and turns them off.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Does your radio cut out every now and then?
If so I heard it could be your BCM.
Also a bad third brake light (light in the spoiler) can cause the ABS inop light to come on.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

same **** here bro, i was driving missed a shift car hit the red line and now the lights dont turn off... i have bigger tire in the rear to and it didnt have a issue before.. But even since then lights have been on.... Please some one help with this!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2009, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

what scanner did you test with?

i just did a van that had the lights on and like 6 codes in the computer. i found the main ground at the back of the block was left off!

i would check your grounds first (maybe loose?) somewhere to start.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

well randomly all the lights turned off while i was at the track and racing, then when i went to start up my car to go home they popped on
Old 09-03-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres a plug under the floorpan in the rear seat ares that houses all of the wires that go to those components, maybe the plug is loose...
Old 09-03-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

My friends car did this, trying to figure it out now, the only thing is that his car is loosing voltage, man freaking electrical problems are a pain.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ss496
theres a plug under the floorpan in the rear seat ares that houses all of the wires that go to those components, maybe the plug is loose...
inside the car? or outside? what does the plug look like? thanks

Originally Posted by masterz28
My friends car did this, trying to figure it out now, the only thing is that his car is loosing voltage, man freaking electrical problems are a pain.
ugh my voltage is fine for the time being -fingers crossed-

i took my car for a spin today and the lights were still on
Old 09-03-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

some things to check....

- Check all 4 pieces of the wiring harness that go to the ABS sensors.
- check the wheel sensors themselves.

The TCS doesnt work cause the ABS doesn't work, they go hand in hand.

- Check also where the wires to the wheel sensors hit the body of the car in the back, make sure theyre tight and not damaged.
- check the wiring harness that goes to the ABS module, make sure its tight and undamaged aswell.

If all that fails, look into replacing the abs unit just to see, maybe try replacing the wheel sensors.... but at this point start thinking about the BCM. Get on a Tech2 and have someone check for any BCM codes. That will tell you if you have any malfunctioning wheel sensors, or a bad ABS block or wire harness.

if all that fails, replace the BCM.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jermzz
some things to check....

- Check all 4 pieces of the wiring harness that go to the ABS sensors.
- check the wheel sensors themselves.

The TCS doesnt work cause the ABS doesn't work, they go hand in hand.

- Check also where the wires to the wheel sensors hit the body of the car in the back, make sure theyre tight and not damaged.
- check the wiring harness that goes to the ABS module, make sure its tight and undamaged aswell.

If all that fails, look into replacing the abs unit just to see, maybe try replacing the wheel sensors.... but at this point start thinking about the BCM. Get on a Tech2 and have someone check for any BCM codes. That will tell you if you have any malfunctioning wheel sensors, or a bad ABS block or wire harness.

if all that fails, replace the BCM.
i'm a total noob in this area... where are the wheel sensors located?
Old 09-04-2009, 02:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

There's only one wire loom with a clip going to each tire. They clip into the speed sensors. On the rear they go into the back of the rear end backing plate.

Basically follow that wire loom everywhere on the car it goes and look for something wrong. If it all checks out ok, then thats not the problem.

Does your "Service Vehicle" light come on? note this is not the SES, its the SVS.

You should really get the car hooked up to a tech2. Its the only scanner that can read BCM codes AFAIK.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:39 AM
On The Tree

This has happened since my car was new, it only acts up under loads of rear wheelspin (AKA dynoruns) and most anytime it see more time blowing off the rear skins at the track.

Shut it down, restart, and forget about it.

BTW, it has to happen for at least 2 consistent key cycles for it to set codes. Just a thought.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:13 AM
11 Second Club

Does it just come on all the time now? Or just when you hit high Rpms? My car does it when the rear tire, and front tire OD is off by too much, it cant use the ABS system when its not all about the same size, because then yours tires are turning at different speeds, while the car is going whatever speed you know what I mean?

Just a thought.. but those 285/45/17s turn at 744 revs/mile, while the stock size is about 786 revs/mile.. Now if you ran the same size all the way around, yes.. it would go away, but then it would look like crap too.. IMO
Old 09-07-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jermzz
There's only one wire loom with a clip going to each tire. They clip into the speed sensors. On the rear they go into the back of the rear end backing plate.

Basically follow that wire loom everywhere on the car it goes and look for something wrong. If it all checks out ok, then thats not the problem.

Does your "Service Vehicle" light come on? note this is not the SES, its the SVS.

You should really get the car hooked up to a tech2. Its the only scanner that can read BCM codes AFAIK.
Thanks, I'll probably check all those wires out this week. And no ses or svs lights, just those three I posted.

Originally Posted by ReedBooth
This has happened since my car was new, it only acts up under loads of rear wheelspin (AKA dynoruns) and most anytime it see more time blowing off the rear skins at the track.

Shut it down, restart, and forget about it.

BTW, it has to happen for at least 2 consistent key cycles for it to set codes. Just a thought.
Yea at this point I would have to say it's random, because it has been off for more than 2 key cycles, and then randomly came on.

Originally Posted by 02_ramair_ta
Does it just come on all the time now? Or just when you hit high Rpms? My car does it when the rear tire, and front tire OD is off by too much, it cant use the ABS system when its not all about the same size, because then yours tires are turning at different speeds, while the car is going whatever speed you know what I mean?

Just a thought.. but those 285/45/17s turn at 744 revs/mile, while the stock size is about 786 revs/mile.. Now if you ran the same size all the way around, yes.. it would go away, but then it would look like crap too.. IMO
hmmm Well I've stayed with the same size tire (275's) on all corners since I bought the car
Old 09-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hlaalu
hmmm Well I've stayed with the same size tire (275's) on all corners since I bought the car
What profile are your tires? When I run my drag radials, I run a 245/45/17 up front and a 275/60/17 out back. All my lights came on because the back tire was so much taller than my front. Put my stock ones back on (245/45/18 up front and 275/35/18 out back) and everything was fine
Old 09-08-2009, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

They are 275/40/17
Old 09-08-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

the plug is a bulkhead, it takes the wires from outside of the car and bring them inside. its in the rear seat area underneath of the car.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

I'va had this problem since I bought my car. It only does it when its warm out though. If ya find somethin let me know.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mattyboy80
I'va had this problem since I bought my car. It only does it when its warm out though. If ya find somethin let me know.
This just started happening on my '02 Z28 very recently. Sometimes all 3 lights come on right after starting the engine. Most of the time all 3 lights come on after 10-15 minutes of driving. Sometimes they don't come on at all before I finish driving, but that's pretty rare.

Quick Reply: ABS INOP, ASR OFF, and BRAKE lights all on