Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Arizona Scam?!??

Old 09-03-2009, 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arizona Scam?!??

Hey guys, I bought my car last december. I got the car from indiana, and had it driven out here. I paid the out of state registration and all which came to about $224. That was LAST december. So the other day, I get a letter in the mail from the supposed city of peoria. The letter is NOT embossed with the seal of the city. It reads: " The city of peoria tax cods sec 12-600 imposes a 1.8% use tax on tangibal personal property purchased for use or storage for use within the city, when an equivalent municipal tax was not paid at the time of purchase. According to records furnished by the State of Arizona, you purchased a vehical or similar item in recent months subject to Use Tax. The AZ DOT reported that you paid state use tax of $224 when the vehicle was registered in Arizona. Because the vehicle was registered with a peoria address, it is also subject to peoria's use tax. please be aware the use tax paid at the time of registration was the state portion only, and did not include the tax due to the city of peoria."
The tax is $72.00, and this bill is due by sep 30th. Some woman named Sheryl Sambrookes signed this, and the sig isnt photocopied. So have any of you guys ever heard of this? I half think it's a scam
Old 09-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Go to city hall to verifie it. All cities are looking to generate money anywhere they can.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I could see how it would be possible, as many cities have different tax rates even within the same County.

I would still try to talk to someone in person at the office.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

The woman finally called me back and said that I'm getting this now because theyve had shortages in the office.

Search this Thread