Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Superior Automotive in Anaheim, CA?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superior Automotive in Anaheim, CA?

Hey guys, just wanted to see if any of you had any experience with this shop. I called for a dyno tune and they quoted me at $550 if I bring my own laptop/HPTuners and $750 if I didn't. I know generally you get what you pay for when it comes to cars but this sounds too expensive to me. I just want a base tune so I can put some break-in miles on my new motor and actually drive my car. I don't remember the guys name but he told me he's been tuning since the 90s and he offers a full money back customer satisfaction guarantee and I can come back when I get the motor broken in for some WOT tuning and anytime I do some mods to it I can get it reflashed. I don't want to drive the car while it's untuned so I'm going to have it towed. Anything near Santa Ana, CA will work, feel free to chime in!
Old 10-21-2009, 12:59 AM
11 Second Club

If you have your own laptop and hp tuners, then why wouldnt you tune it? If you do not need them, then they should just rent out the dyno while you tune.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:23 AM
Launching!

Don't have any personal experience but never heard anything very good about them. They're literally two blocks from where I work and seem to have a decent mix of cars around and a decent flow of cars going in and out. They do advertise heavily on speed channel so who knows, they gotta be making some $$$. Hopefully someone with some experience from them can chime in and help you out but that whole thing with bringing your laptop or they'll charge u more seems ridiculous...
Old 10-21-2009, 04:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LustrousWS6
Don't have any personal experience but never heard anything very good about them. They're literally two blocks from where I work and seem to have a decent mix of cars around and a decent flow of cars going in and out. They do advertise heavily on speed channel so who knows, they gotta be making some $$$. Hopefully someone with some experience from them can chime in and help you out but that whole thing with bringing your laptop or they'll charge u more seems ridiculous...
Yeah that's what threw me off. I hear most people spending a few hundred for a reputable tuner to put a base tune down. I don't understand why I should have to supply my own laptop in the first place. Shouldn't I just use my HPTuners login? They're a big shop so they should have it right? I almost **** my pants when he said $750 for a tune. I'm in Santa Ana so you're local to me Lustrous, do know of any more affordable/good tuners close by? The guy sounded like an older guy and assured me that he's the guy for the job and he also said he would show me how to use the program and teach me a little bit while he's doing it. I've never had a car dyno tuned but I would think that this is basically the regular procedure to make the customer feel like they got their moneys worth. I know the business and he sounded like a salesman to me. I also forget to mention that he said he was with socaltuning.com and he just works out of Superior Automotive. I forgot his name though :/

Originally Posted by Pntbll309
If you have your own laptop and hp tuners, then why wouldnt you tune it? If you do not need them, then they should just rent out the dyno while you tune.
Because I've dumped about $7000 on my motor and I don't want my car to be a guinea pig, I have ZERO tuning experience and I want a professional to handle it for me. I have no problem with spending a few hundred bucks to know that my car has been done right. I consider it cheap insurance, cause if I grenade this motor I'm definitely screwed :p

Last edited by wesfresh; 10-21-2009 at 04:42 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I recently had my '09 CTS-V dynoed at Church Automotive Testing in Wilmington, CA, and I am certain that you will be extremely happy with their work ethics, work attitude, your results, and the price. It is possible that the readings that you get from Church Automotive Testing (CAT) will be approximately 6%-8% higher than you would probably get from a Dynojet as they use a Dyno-Pack dyno exclusively. they ares sometimes open Sundays as their schedule requires / needs. A DynoPack dyno requires that the rear wheels and tires are removed and the 2 dynos hook directly up to the rear hubs. They charged me $80 for a base run of 3 pulls, they explained everything, they stay extremely busy (a good sign) and are great people to work with. Google Church Automotive Testing in Wilmington, CA. Tell them that I recommended them. Owners name is Shawn, & 3 other operators. They use both HP Tuners and EFI Live. Their prices are quoted on their website. Nobody that's any good does a base tune and modifies your ECM for $200, believe me. Good tuners are getting about $550 or so for a base run to find out where you are at, and then as many runs as necessary to dial your car in.
They are the best that I know of. HTH
Old 10-25-2009, 07:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Wells
I recently had my '09 CTS-V dynoed at Church Automotive Testing in Wilmington, CA, and I am certain that you will be extremely happy with their work ethics, work attitude, your results, and the price. It is possible that the readings that you get from Church Automotive Testing (CAT) will be approximately 6%-8% higher than you would probably get from a Dynojet as they use a Dyno-Pack dyno exclusively. they ares sometimes open Sundays as their schedule requires / needs. A DynoPack dyno requires that the rear wheels and tires are removed and the 2 dynos hook directly up to the rear hubs. They charged me $80 for a base run of 3 pulls, they explained everything, they stay extremely busy (a good sign) and are great people to work with. Google Church Automotive Testing in Wilmington, CA. Tell them that I recommended them. Owners name is Shawn, & 3 other operators. They use both HP Tuners and EFI Live. Their prices are quoted on their website. Nobody that's any good does a base tune and modifies your ECM for $200, believe me. Good tuners are getting about $550 or so for a base run to find out where you are at, and then as many runs as necessary to dial your car in.
They are the best that I know of. HTH
I beg to differ on your "nobody that's any good does a base tune and modifies your ecm for 200 bucks". Geoff at EPS will do a base tune for 200 and get you running and then you can come back and will only charge 300 more for the full tune because it is 500 for a full dynotune. This doesn't help the original poster any because Geoff is in Baton Rouge, LA.

Geoff used to be co-owner of Thunder racing and now has his own shop now. He has been tuning for years and uses HPtuners and EFIlive.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
I beg to differ on your "nobody that's any good does a base tune and modifies your ecm for 200 bucks". Geoff at EPS will do a base tune for 200 and get you running and then you can come back and will only charge 300 more for the full tune because it is 500 for a full dynotune. This doesn't help the original poster any because Geoff is in Baton Rouge, LA.

Geoff used to be co-owner of Thunder racing and now has his own shop now. He has been tuning for years and uses HPtuners and EFIlive.
OK, 87silverbullet, let's try this again:
In the cars that I play in & with, (TurboBuicks & Cadillac CTS-V's), (mine being a '87 Turbo Buick, a '02 ZO6 DD, & a '09 CTS-V), none of the Republik of Kalifornication dyno shops that I am aware of do what you are referring to as a base tune. It's generally a baseline, generally consisting of 2 or 3 dyno runs to determine where your car is at for modification purposes, or they do a full tune. Full tunes out here generally go for about $450-$700, depending upon the car and how many runs are required to reset parameters. The better the rep of the tuner, the more expensive and the harder it is to get an appointment. This would definitely apply to both the vette set & the Cad CTS-V crowd, but not the turbo Buick crowd, as there just aren't that many turbo Buick tuners around to establish a price, and a turbo Buick just doesn't have that much to adjust to. You burn the chip, set a few parameters, and that's it.
Hope that this helps clarify my previous statement.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Veteran

I guess tuners out there are a lil different than here. Geoff is a good tuner. He has tuned most of the fastest cars that have come out of Thunder over the years.

Its relatively easy to get a tune here I called on a Wednesday and was on the dyno that Saturday. We drove it around to get the street tune and then put it on the dyno to check the power output and finally we tuned the 2 stages of nitrous I have on the car. It cost me a total of 650.00 (150.00 extra for the nitrous pulls).

I have 87 t-type also and there is more to than just "burning a chip and setting a few parameters".
Old 10-25-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

87SilverBullet:
What are you running on your '87 turbo Buick?
Old 10-25-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my H/c done there and they do great work for sure. Their tuner is Sean Ellis who is pretty exprerienced. I would let him tune my car.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To compare we would charge you $450-$500 to do the startup and tune on a new motor.The car would leave here 100% but we'd want you to redyno after 500 miles to verify. Bringing your own software to have us tune it saves nothing.If you wanted to tune it the cost would be $150hr for dyno time.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran

87SilverBullet:
What are you running on your '87 turbo Buick?
I'm still running the stock pcm. I have street and race chips from Red armstrong and PTE. That was a long time ago.

I lost my T-type to Hurricane Katrina. I planned on putting it back together and bought a race motor, put in a 10 point chromoly cage, and notched the frame rails. Now its all for sale.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Teching In

OK, 87silverbullet, let's try this again:
In the cars that I play in & with, (TurboBuicks & Cadillac CTS-V's), (mine being a '87 Turbo Buick, a '02 ZO6 DD, & a '09 CTS-V), none of the Republik of Kalifornication dyno shops that I am aware of do what you are referring to as a base tune. It's generally a baseline, generally consisting of 2 or 3 dyno runs to determine where your car is at for modification purposes, or they do a full tune. Full tunes out here generally go for about $450-$700, depending upon the car and how many runs are required to reset parameters. The better the rep of the tuner, the more expensive and the harder it is to get an appointment. This would definitely apply to both the vette set & the Cad CTS-V crowd, but not the turbo Buick crowd, as there just aren't that many turbo Buick tuners around to establish a price, and a turbo Buick just doesn't have that much to adjust to. You burn the chip, set a few parameters, and that's it.
Hope that this helps clarify my previous statement.
I talked to Mike at Haddad Motorsports and he quoted me $200 for a base tune and $600 for a full tune but they're busy with SEMA for the next few weeks. I'm low on funds so I think I might just save up and wait. He also gave me a lot of good info too and he seems like a good honest guy.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wesfresh
I talked to Mike at Haddad Motorsports and he quoted me $200 for a base tune and $600 for a full tune but they're busy with SEMA for the next few weeks. I'm low on funds so I think I might just save up and wait. He also gave me a lot of good info too and he seems like a good honest guy.

do urself a favor and take it to cms in lake elsinore....sean ellis "spcecilizes" in modular fords....
Old 10-25-2009, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

WHERES the RACEPREP plug ryan....??????
Old 10-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nevrlift13
WHERES the RACEPREP plug ryan....??????
No race-prep plug here. But I can wholeheartedly recommend Tad over at Haddad. I've always been very happy with his tuning. Haven't had any personal experience with any other sponsors on the board so I can't comment on them.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

No race-prep plug here. But I can wholeheartedly recommend Tad over at Haddad. I've always been very happy with his tuning. Haven't had any personal experience with any other sponsors on the board so I can't comment on them.
lighten up francis...
Old 10-30-2009, 12:13 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like they have the limited version that requires them to purchase credits for each vehicle they tune. Hence the reason it'd be cheaper if they used your credits.

I'd take it somewhere else, especially if a shop said "bring your own tuning software and it'll be cheaper".

Moving this to the regional section for more responses.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do yourself a favor go to a shop that specializes in GM, and their computers. either me or any other reputable gm tuning shop.....
Old 10-30-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go to CMS....they have all the software and tune a shitload of GM stuff.

Quick Reply: Superior Automotive in Anaheim, CA?