Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

got pulled over yesterday, have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question got pulled over yesterday, have some questions

I was driving yesterday morning to meet my buddy for breakfast, and I noticed a cop behind me. I wasn't doing anything wrong to begin with, Sunday is just a cruising day for me. But anyways, the lights come on, I pull over and I say good morning, did I do something wrong? He says, well no but I pulled you over because of your tail lights. I said what's wrong? He said it was because they are blacked out. I was nice, he was nice, and I went on my way.

My questions:

Can I cop in nevada issue me a fix-it ticket even though my car is registered in california?

He said he "gave me a warning in the system" and if I was pulled over again I would be issued a ticket. Is this true? Sounds like some b.s. he made up. I thought an actual fix-it ticket WAS the warning.

He also mention if I was rear-ended it would be my fault, because you need at least 2 reflectors in the rear, not just a third brake light. Is this true? I guess it kind of makes sense, but my brake light isn't blacked out.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

An officer must radio in when he pulls anyone over for whatever reason. Only thing that goes in the "system" is an actual citation. He probably called in and said he gave the driver (you) a warning but there would be no way for another officer to know. And yes, he can give you a citation for any safety traffic law you break or moving violation regardless what state youre car is from.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Every jurisdiction is different so its hard to say about the warning. Some states have written warnings. NY we dont have that and there would be no computer entry that would say you were previously given a warning.

Some jurisdictions are required to radio in the traffic stop and whether or not a summons was issued and others are not. But individual officers do not usually have that info readily available.

And yes your vehicle has to be in compliance with the laws of whatever state it is being operating in regardless of state of registration.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a very good friend that happens to be a police officer.. Speaking for MY AREA...... If your tail lights are easily visible from something like 150 FT. away, you are ok.. Blacked out or not.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get rear ended, you hope they hit you hard enough to destroy the evidence.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:59 AM

If it was not a written warning given to you then it is not in the system...a cop can pull you over for an issue even though the car is not registered in that area however most of the time they will just inform you of the issuse as long as its not illegal where the car is located...
Old 11-10-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea doesn't matter where it is registered, I've never heard of an electronic warning system but can't say for sure. To be rear ended and have them blame you I think the other person would have go sue you and have a damn good lawyer, even then I still don't see it happening.

I was in court once where someone who rearended a truck was trying to say it was the trucks fault because he had two small taillights and she told the judge that she didn't see them. The judge said"did you see the big red truck slowing down in front of you?". The case was thrown out.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

thanks for the answers
Old 11-10-2009, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

I heard there is a new Nevada law that forces some major fines for out of state vehicles living there.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 8tsixt
I heard there is a new Nevada law that forces some major fines for out of state vehicles living there.
never heard of that, any more info? i think that would be impossible, especially around las vegas where tons of out of state cars are driving around.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

headlights and tail lights must be DOT Dept of Transportation approved. If you **** with the lights then it is no longer DOT approved. you are liable.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:11 AM
Launching!

IIRC, you have ten days to get Nevada tags if you're living here. Don't use common sense like living in CA too. A friend lives in the Bay area but has a couple of houses here and went through the same nonsense - drove his CA car here and got hassled about the out of state (CA) tags even though he has a house on Flamingo and in CA. I don't believe he ever got a straight answer about it but I'll ask. He gets the same BS when he drives one of his cars with the NV plate back to CA.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by C5natie
An officer must radio in when he pulls anyone over for whatever reason. Only thing that goes in the "system" is an actual citation. He probably called in and said he gave the driver (you) a warning but there would be no way for another officer to know. And yes, he can give you a citation for any safety traffic law you break or moving violation regardless what state youre car is from.
Negative, not all cops have to call it in. For example, CHP will never call for speeding, taillights, or any other Infraction. Most City cops, will call in location and reason for the stop. ALL WILL CALL IN FOR WARRANT CHECK.

And if he did get hit from behind it would be his fault, because he is in violation of the CVC Code that prohibits rear taillights to be blacked out. I forgot, but it must be visible from a certain amount of feet and the tinting of the rear taillights restricts the visibility.

But it does make the car look much better
Old 11-12-2009, 12:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by nalmak
Negative, not all cops have to call it in. For example, CHP will never call for speeding, taillights, or any other Infraction. Most City cops, will call in location and reason for the stop. ALL WILL CALL IN FOR WARRANT CHECK.

And if he did get hit from behind it would be his fault, because he is in violation of the CVC Code that prohibits rear taillights to be blacked out. I forgot, but it must be visible from a certain amount of feet and the tinting of the rear taillights restricts the visibility.

But it does make the car look much better
Well, Im not sure on CHP but most city and Sheriff patrol calls do call in a vehicle stop as procedure. Im sure CHP wouldnt since most of their jobs intitles traffic stops and citations and each car has a section of highway theyre patroling for the day. Anyway, I would say if you get pulled over for blacked out tail lights just say you just got a warning and youre going to fix them the next day. They wont know and most guys will let you go. Still, thats a chicken **** reason for a pull over, either they want to check out the car or need to write a citation.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

Well, Im not sure on CHP but most city and Sheriff patrol calls do call in a vehicle stop as procedure. Im sure CHP wouldnt since most of their jobs intitles traffic stops and citations and each car has a section of highway theyre patroling for the day. Anyway, I would say if you get pulled over for blacked out tail lights just say you just got a warning and youre going to fix them the next day. They wont know and most guys will let you go. Still, thats a chicken **** reason for a pull over, either they want to check out the car or need to write a citation.
Yes you are correct.

If it is written it will be in the Computer. Verbal no. Too many written warnings, will lead to a UNCORRECTABLE violation. So even if you take it off, you still cough up some green backs.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

yea i plan to just keep them on until i receive an actual "fix-it" ticket.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:05 AM
Teching In

let me guess it was either a LVMPD or more likely a NHP lol there is no warning system in the computer system in NV or else id have a million tickets by now for speeding warnings and sound warnings
Old 11-15-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rice reaper
let me guess it was either a LVMPD or more likely a NHP lol there is no warning system in the computer system in NV or else id have a million tickets by now for speeding warnings and sound warnings
it was a henderson cop, right in green valley. i told him i play by my own rules
Old 11-15-2009, 02:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by hlaalu
it was a henderson cop, right in green valley. i told him i play by my own rules
Henderson? No wonder. Theres nothing there for those cops to do in Henderson. LOL.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Henderson? No wonder. Theres nothing there for those cops to do in Henderson. LOL.
you have no idea, i saw probably 6 other cops with people pulled over in my 10 mile drive, it was ridiculous

Quick Reply: got pulled over yesterday, have some questions