Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

CA registration plates question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CA registration plates question

ok. heres the deal. i bought a car from a dealer. i have my temp. registration thingy tapped to my front window and hes dealing with the DMV fees taxes registration ect.... the car has plates on it... but they are expired... do i leave the plates on till i get all the new crap in the mail or do i take the off?

i'm used to IL where they had me a metal plate,stickers, registration ect when i buy the car... at a minimum a cardboard temp plate.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

take them off if they are expired, just an excuse to get pulled over. although having no plates is an excuse to get pulled over too lol. the dealer didn't put one of those backgrounds with their info where the plate goes?
Old 11-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Teching In

no its a smaller dealership... i do have one of those plastic plates from another dealer.. I'll just throw it on there for now...
Old 11-19-2009, 11:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The law states you have to leave them on. Its obviously a used car but youre not supposed to drive any vehicle with expired tags whether youre the registered owner or not. First time I hear of a dealership selling a car with expired tags. Usually you get an regristation extension that you tape to the rear window with a number on it representing what month it expires (ex: 12= December). This allows you to drive the car without getting a citation until it expires.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:51 AM
Teching In

I had the same issue with purchasing a used car from a small local dealership. Leave the expired plates on. You will get sent new tags in the mail. Leave the registration tape thingy in the windshield until the new tags arrive.

Quick Reply: CA registration plates question