Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Rattle in the back of my car.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle in the back of my car.

I hope you guys can give me an idea on where to look for this noise that i have in the back of my car. I have a 99 Camaro. I put a moser 12 bolt in to the car, and from there on it has had a deep rattle noise when I go over bumps or even drive on rough roads. It almost sounds like the exhaust pipes hitting but i have checked all the pipe clearances and even put extra hangers on is so that they don't hit, and that did not fix the problem. Any help on where to start looking will be nice.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there is one thing I've noticed about my camaro over the years is that squeeks and rattles come and go...

I may let it go and it will go away with a completely new one thats shows up...LOL

But if you are determined to find it, I would check the heat sheilds, I've had a few issues with these on my car, most have been removed, but not the ones that protect the fuel lines and gas tank.

get under the car and with a small metal hammer start tapping on the muffler, or some of the heat sheilds, also double check all axle bolts since its a 12 bolt, and if its a moser 12 bolt that uses 4 bolts instead of 2 long ones, make damn sure the top ones are tight with lock washers, They have worked themselves lose on my car before but I caught them.

also don't over look the brakes, sometimes those pads can rattle, but some brake spray from the auto store should quiet them down

Hope ya find it.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

I dont know if rattle is the right word or more like a clunk. i have bashed on the exhaust over and over and it does not move. As for the bolts on the axle i have checked those many times over as well. As for the sound going away, I have had my 12 bolt for 3 years now. And i have always had the noise sence the 12 bolt found its way into the car.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got my noises after changing to aftermarket suspension parts.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would then check into the suspention. when does the clunk become more noticable? when you give it gas? I had a few tq arm bushings go bad and the front end of the tq arm would hit the metal clamp, gotta new poly bushing and drilled a few more holes in the clamp to install more holding bolts, problem solved.

can you push up and down on the cars rear to make the noise? if so maybe have another person listen near the rear underside.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

It does not matter if im braking or accelerating as long as im going over any imperfection on the road. If i push on it the back end it does not make any noise, and i have a spohn tq arm that mounts to the sides of the tunnel. I also have an aftermarket shocks, panhard rod and lower control arms.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would look and see if you have any rod ends (on aftermarket pieces). They have a fine layer inbetween the ball where the bolt hole is, and where its sits inside the rod. It wears out and allows the ball to move inside the rod. Youll know if it needs to be replaced if you shake it and there is any play at all.

looks like...

they can jiggle a lot. I replace mine, they were on my lower control arms and my pan hard rod (not all of them have it). Just remember when you go to replace them, there are right and left threaded... some are all right some are all left, some are 1/2 and 1/2.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:20 PM
11 Second Club

Nope, no connections like those. Then all have the like stock bushings, just poly bushings, and i have taken the sway bar off replaced the end links on the sway bar and put back together as well as taken the panhard bar off a few times. as well a greased everything.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i have the same problem as you and when i hit a bump it sounds like something is loose back there we took off the heat shield and it still did it, we could actually grab my LCA and shake the car and could hear it but could not find it. i know it's not my exhaust cause i have 3" true duals that go out the back but don't come that close to the body one of these days i'm takin out my rear end and suspension and finding it!!
Old 12-03-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you have the tq arm that slides in and out of itself with a 2 peice design, by buddy had one like that and It made a rattle noise, but if you have the stock style tq arm with just the rubber bushing at the front end then that should be the issue.

You don't think its the jack in the right rear fender well? My girlfriends car did that and it made some clunking noises, until we re-secured everything.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

My Tq arm is the one in the picture below. As for the jack, i have not had the jack in there sence i have put the NO2 bottle in there. as for the noise its there with, or without the bottle in there. As well as with the stock tq arm, the edlebrock tq arm that i had in there, and now the spohn arm that is in there now.
Attached Thumbnails Rattle in the back of my car.-1020.jpg  

Quick Reply: Rattle in the back of my car.