Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Anybody run long tubes with bullets in California?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody run long tubes with bullets in California?

I was planning to run a 3" dual exhaust with a X pipe and 3" Flowmaster outlaw bullets. Well i got the bullets in the mail today from flowmaster and now i'm questioning if this is such a great idea? I like loud and obnoxious just as much as the next guy but to be heard from 1/2 mile away is going to have every cop here in rancho salavating to pull me over. So the question is can I use these bullets with say a hi flow cat http://www.car-sound.com/02product/d...niversal=54959 to quiet it just enough to get buy or back to the drawing board?
Attached Thumbnails Anybody run long tubes with bullets in California?-img_0132.jpg  
Old 03-24-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwn Cam
I was planning to run a 3" dual exhaust with a X pipe and 3" Flowmaster outlaw bullets. Well i got the bullets in the mail today from flowmaster and now i'm questioning if this is such a great idea? I like loud and obnoxious just as much as the next guy but to be heard from 1/2 mile away is going to have every cop here in rancho salavating to pull me over. So the question is can I use these bullets with say a hi flow cat http://www.car-sound.com/02product/d...niversal=54959 to quiet it just enough to get buy or back to the drawing board?
Just as you said, it will be loud and obnoxious. And it will only get worse with a cam. I have know people who rad TD dumped without issue, but it depends on where you live and where you drive. I wouldn't do it because the cops are dicks where I live.
If I were you, I'd get a nice custom y-pipe made with a mandrel bends and a flowmaster merge, 3" in to a 3.5" or 4" out and have a cutout shortly after the merge and continue the exhaust to a quiet catback. Like the SLP dual dual. Then you can be loud when you want to be, and be stealth status when you need to be.

Something like this:

Old 03-24-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

I'm cammed, have LTs, TDs and dynomax bullits. It's loud.

This is before cam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psdSQDXAUWk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkhcjxCm7DM

after cam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycnm1e6IdU8

I don't have a sound clip of since it was tuned. I also put some hi-flow metallic spun cats on...did a little bit, but not much. If anything just refined the tone a little bit, not actually any quieter.

FYI in case you don't know, it's really hard to find a Co. who will sell you hi-flow cats now bc Jan 1 2009 CA passed a new law, direct replacement cats only. no more universal fit type cats. So if you can get hold of some, go somewhere ghetto to get them installed and pay cash..bc a good shop will not do it anymore. But if you're getting TDs put on, they should be able to do the cats too
Old 03-24-2010, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Just as you said, it will be loud and obnoxious. And it will only get worse with a cam. I have know people who rad TD dumped without issue, but it depends on where you live and where you drive. I wouldn't do it because the cops are dicks where I live.
If I were you, I'd get a nice custom y-pipe made with a mandrel bends and a flowmaster merge, 3" in to a 3.5" or 4" out and have a cutout shortly after the merge and continue the exhaust to a quiet catback. Like the SLP dual dual. Then you can be loud when you want to be, and be stealth status when you need to be.
The motor has a solid roller 631/639 lift 250/255 dur 115lsa
and I had a 3.5" mufflex kit with a ORY pipe and to me the car
didn't have enough BARK! I thought I'd try this route to get a little more
of that BARK that I wanted. I don't know how the local cops treat older
middle aged guys with a hot rod that drive responsebly. If I was in my
late teens or early 20's well then forget about it.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

i was in Diamond Bar with LTs, TDs with bullets, and no cats for a couple years. never got hassled.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

I must say that the 3rd video after the cam swamp, the car
sounds absolutely awesome. Maybe I just push forward with
the bullets and get the cats I mentioned in the original post
and roll the dice. The cats shouldn't be a problem to get I know
the right people and I have access to a lift and a mig welder.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

thanks! The car will sound cammed with just the TDs installed...so much so that when you do cam it, well you heard it..a bit ridiculous lol. Which is why I put cats back in. I don't want that ticket for no cats in case i finally do get pulled over..
Old 03-25-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

i have long tubes tsp duals with bullets dumper. havent got hastled. got pulled over by chp in camarillo and told me my exhaust sounded badass and he was gtoing to put it on his SS lol
Old 03-25-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by allblacksrt4
i have long tubes tsp duals with bullets dumper. havent got hastled. got pulled over by chp in camarillo and told me my exhaust sounded badass and he was gtoing to put it on his SS lol
I got pulled over in TO for basically for being in a low gear going under the 23...same thing happened, complemented on how good it sounded . and another time in Glendora because i was in low gears and getting stopped at every light on Grand, I was trying to make it through a yellow to catch the next light green, but got rolled. He thought I was speeding was his reason, but he was a couple cars back and never saw me do anything he also liked my car/exhaust

never actually been pulled over specifically for loud exhaust though, not even when I ran around open headers for a month in Diamond Bar and was constantly next to cops at stop lights etc
Old 03-25-2010, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

i run tsp duals and torque tech power sticks i dont think my exhaust could be any loouder
Old 03-25-2010, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by allblacksrt4
That is Hilairous.

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
and another time in Glendora because i was in low gears and getting stopped at every light on Grand, I was trying to make it through a yellow to catch the next light green, but got rolled. He thought I was speeding was his reason, but he was a couple cars back and never saw me do anything he also liked my car/exhaust
I was born and raised in Glendora before recently buying a house here in Rancho Cucamonga, so I know how bad the cops are in Glendora. That is actually pretty suprising and cool at the same time. I hope the cops here in Rancho are just as cool if your not driving stupid.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nevrlift13
i run tsp duals and torque tech power sticks i dont think my exhaust could be any loouder
How are the Cops in Brea? I work in Placentia and know the cops here and Yorba Linda can be Douche Bags
Old 03-25-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

The motor has a solid roller 631/639 lift 250/255 dur 115lsa
and I had a 3.5" mufflex kit with a ORY pipe and to me the car
didn't have enough BARK! I thought I'd try this route to get a little more
of that BARK that I wanted. I don't know how the local cops treat older
middle aged guys with a hot rod that drive responsebly. If I was in my
late teens or early 20's well then forget about it.
If you don't have an electric cutout yet, get one. It will be simpler and cheaper than getting TD's.
You'll have plenty of BARK, trust me...
Old 03-26-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Brea cops are strict, but they never hassled me. Put it in a higher gear to quiet it down an don't speed by them and they wont bother you
Old 03-26-2010, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
Brea cops are strict, but they never hassled me. Put it in a higher gear to quiet it down an don't speed by them and they wont bother you
I think that has allot to do with most cities, if you act stupid and try to draw attention to yourself you get the good attention and the bad (COPS). Play it smart and more times than not cops wont bother you.

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
If you don't have an electric cutout yet, get one. It will be simpler and cheaper than getting TD's.
You'll have plenty of BARK, trust me...
I don't know if the single setup flows enough when corked. I know Barry at Quick Time and i'm sure I could get one for a decent price. I was thinking of doing a belly pan and it sure would be nice not to have a muffler there in the way, just have everything dump before the axle.

Last edited by Dwn Cam; 03-26-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

I think that has allot to do with most cities, if you act stupid and try to draw attention to yourself you get the good attention and the bad (COPS). Play it smart and more times than not cops wont bother you.

I don't know if the single setup flows enough when corked. I know Barry at Quick Time and i'm sure I could get one for a decent price. I was thinking of doing a belly pan and it sure would be nice not to have a muffler there in the way, just have everything dump before the axle.
Totally agree! That was a few years ago now, didn't take long to figure it out

What's your reasoning for a belly pan? If you don't know, that will change the air flow under the car. Without a spoiler, splitter, or combo of both, it could cause lift with the new smooth air under the car..
Old 03-26-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

You'd be surprised...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...heads-cam.html

"Notice the dual 3" pipes merging into a 4" intermediate pipe, then a 4" cutout. After the cutout, the pipe is reduced to a 3" SLP dual dual catback. Compared to open headers with 20" extensions, my motor lost 1 hp with this y-pipe, but gained 10 rwtq in the 2500-4000 rpm range. From a sound standpoint, the rasp/drone is gone with the better y-merge collector. The difference between running with an open cutout and closed exhaust through the tail pipes is 9.5 rwhp. Not bad at all."

Remember, that's 9.5rwhp on a 500rwhp car...that's less than a 2% difference...

I have a similar y-pipe with mandrel bends, flowmaster merge (3" in/3.5" out) that I got off my buddy's car that made 460+rwhp.

Last edited by ss.slp.ls1; 03-26-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

How are the Cops in Brea? I work in Placentia and know the cops here and Yorba Linda can be Douche Bags
brea cops will **** with you they gave me a ref ticket cuz my exh was loud...they are douche bags 100%
Old 03-26-2010, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nevrlift13
brea cops will **** with you they gave me a ref ticket cuz my exh was loud...they are douche bags 100%
my first exh setup was LTs to 18" glasspacks, qwhich i hated cuz my car sounded like a harley, never got hassled for the exhaust, even when i got pulled over for tint/speeding

from there i got brave and went LTs to 36" of 3" pipgin off the collecter... it was retardedly loud, and a bit raspy, but i never got hassled for it

then i went LTs to gutted stock cats to moroso spiral flows. sounded ****** AMAZING! was nice and loud up top and quiet enough around town so that i would pull up next to cops and they wouldnt even look over at me.

after the cam i went LTs to gutted cats to a TSP TD system with dynomax bullets under the axle to spiral flows at the tips and i absolutley love it. It hides the cam well enough down low and is nice and rumbly quiet, then uptop it opens wide up and goes screamin down the freeway.

with all my setups the only one ive ever been hassled for was the current setup and that was a monday morning in fullerton and the first day of clas, which was my fault for taking the car on a day like that. I also stay the **** out of yorba lina, brea and populated areas of irvine. Orange and Placentia seem to be ok if you dont drive around like a dumb ***. Anaheim PD couldnt give a **** either way
Old 03-26-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ive got H/C with no cats, and b&b bullets on my car and its the loudest thing ive heard so far other than when i was running straight pipes and still no problems with fontana cops. I passed smog too

Quick Reply: Anybody run long tubes with bullets in California?